E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had it!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='246037' date='Feb 25 2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks - I really really appreciate your support. I have had BMW NA in the loop for a while and they are very slow to respond ( 2 weeks to call back...), but I have not given up. I left my contact a not so nice voice mail today...
I would love to get another BMW but can I really trust it?
I don't know at this moment. I just want to have a car that works
Judging from all the problems people report here (yeah, I know, we are quite anal...), I don't know if it will get any better. I am just so tired of all this........
I had a first year of new model M-B E500 and Porsche 997S. Both had various electronic issues that, while dealt with under warranty, significantly reduced my enjoyment and confidence. If you want very minimal worries on a new car, try a Lexus. My LS430 has been nearly flawless since new. I did have to have a passenger side rear vanity light module replaced, as it would not always stay latched. That's it! It is no BMW when it comes to handling and performance, but you can't beat it for reliability! It seems that the complexity of modern cars with all their electronics, make problems a near certainty, at least in early model years, IMHO.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Members

I would trade that piece of crap in and either get a 550 or go to Infiniti or Lexus and get the GS and M45. I know you dont want to take a financial hit on it but suffering with it is worse than loosing 10k. You should be enjoying your car not cursing it. I had the same problem a long time ago and debated on loosing money vs enjoying my ride and so I traded my car in at a huge loss but in the end I enjoyed my new car for 5 years before selling it. If you could swing it dump the car.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Sorry to hear your streak of bad luck with the car.
If you think you would still enjoy driving an e60, I think you need to have a serious talk with the dealership that sold you the car and see what they can do to get you into a 550/530.

Best of luck.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 AM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='246044' date='Feb 25 2006, 04:15 PM
Hang in there - I'm sure your car is fine. These e60's just worry us all the time because of the crappy f*ckin i-drive.

They are the "car that cried wolf" hardly and mechanical problems - just loads of software b*llocks

Don't get a MB - your right they ARE for old people
When my car was back firing the computer didn't record any faults, the tech clearly states "mechanical problem" on the work order.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Members

My Ride: '12 BMW 520d Touring

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='246044' date='Feb 26 2006, 01:15 AM
Hang in there - I'm sure your car is fine. These e60's just worry us all the time because of the crappy f*ckin i-drive.

They are the "car that cried wolf" hardly and mechanical problems - just loads of software b*llocks
Spot-on comment!

Not only the new BMW's, but also MB's and Audi's have problems. And they always come down to problems with the electronics and software of the car. As you said, they are engineered fine and have hardly any mechanical problems.

But it does not need to be like that. Apart from other manufacturers (like Lexus) that can make electronics work right, it is really different from car to car. I'm not sure if one can qualify the electronics on the E60 as bad in general, because people drive them for tenthousands of kilometers just fine, while others (like the thread-starter) expierence problems over and over again. (Btw, I'm very sorry to hear that, I'm a huge E60 fan myself).
See it like your home computer, it just acts crazy sometimes for no reason. Exactly the same with the electronics in the car, one cars drives fine for thousands of miles while others don't even get out of the street before something crashes. So you could try and get a new E60, because the car itself is just fine, but on the other hand I can see that you might fear that you will run into problems again.

What I think that BMW (and MB, Audi) should do, is that they need to pay more attention to get the electronics flawless on every single car they produce. Because German cars are very good cars, and have a very good reputation. These electronics problems with "new" cars are not that old, the E39 for example did not have this amount of electronicsproblems.
But the good reputation won't last long if they not try to upgrade their quality on electronics. It is easy to get a "bad" reputation, and hard to get a "good" one.

Either way, good luck in getting your problems resolved!
Old 02-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Taz
Members

My Ride: I have a 2004 E60. It was registered in January 2004. It's a Black Sapphire 530i SE with a few options: - Auto-dim interior + folding exterior mirrors - Automatic gearbox - Bi-Xenon headlights - Bluetooth - Leather interior (Black-Dakota) - Navigation system - business - Service inclusive - Sport steering wheel - Star spoke 124 8Jx18"/9Jx18" + run flats - Top tint windscreen - BMW 6-CD autochanger - Supagard paint treatment - BMW carpet mats

Sorry to hear about your problems. Even though i'm selling my E60 to get something a bit smaller and more sporty, the E60 has been the most reliable car I have ever owned over the last 20 years! I have never had a single problem with it (apart from financial depreciation!).
Old 02-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 545i, 2004. Alpine white, ventilated seats, confort seats, bluetooth, HI-FI Audio, Electrical Rear Blinds, manual Side blinds, Sport Package, Confort Glass,Active steering, Business Navigation

i dont know if i am mistaken but i feel that 545 is much more problematic than 530's... :'(

i dont post much but i read daily the forum and i came to a conclusion that 545 is much more sensitive than other 5'ers...

i had a long list of problems one of which they changed 2 stearing rack and one axe handle/ new suspension + rubbers + etc... and all that for the same problem... after one full month and 4 days at the dealer they discovered that the heat shield that covers the exhaust after driving for arround 60kms in temperature like 45C expands and start transmitting ticking noise all over the front end of the car... add to that doors/ sunroof/ seats/ A/c compressor........

but above all this, i still admire my 545
Old 02-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Now my bluetooth is dead. Just stopped working on the way home. I tried 2 phones, restarted the car, its just dead.
I testdrove the Infinity M45 today - BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. How in the world can this car beat the 5 series in any comparison test??????????
Feels like an old people car to me and I was happy to back in my E60.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Forget the Infinity or the Lexus you will never be happy. See what your dealer can do to get you into the new 3 series. I test drove a 330i and was very impressed. You should not take too much of a financial hit, and you will have a car that will handle circles around the competition. I am very happy with my 550i, but it is the 3rd year of the model cycle so a lot of the bugs have been worked out. But if I start going down a road like you are on I am getting out, and I am confident my dealer will step up to the plate.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I am very sorry for you, hope it will be solved, no probs here yet , NONE
PS. Lexus is ok but then it will be very boring even if no daily probs accour, and the E60 is a damn exp,.car but all the money and the probs WORTH the feeling when you roll in that and the crouds go crazy