E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Installed.

It sounds much better and there is a terrific increase in low-end bass. It took some time to fine tune to my liking, but ended up turning the bass level down to 1/4-3/8 level to keep some of the mid level bass. I lowered it all the way, but lost all mid-level bass. I was hoping that at the volume I like to listen, which is on the loud side, that I wouldn't hear thumping from outside of the car - which i do not (great E60 insulation).

I had them add a bass knob - if not, any increase in the system volume would increase the sub woofer volume as well. I've yet to cut a port in the rear seat ski pass area, but I was convinced that it probably wouldn't be necessary, i'll determine that in the next few days.

I'm very happy with the results, but the over-all sound is definitely not Hi-fidelity. Am I glad I did it, YES!

Good luck with yours.

I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.-3.jpg
I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.-image_173.jpg
I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.-image_174.jpg
I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.-image_175.jpg
I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.-image_180.jpg
Old 07-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='616890' date='Jul 5 2008, 10:38 AM
....................put in a huge sub and get those glow lights for the undercarriage........... and those hydraulic things to make the car jump .........and ............ jk good luck

Yes Keith, hydraulics have been ordered. Will post pics once installed. I Thank you for your support!!
Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.
Red face

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='616897' date='Jul 5 2008, 10:45 AM
Sad as it may sound, I got folding rear seats w/ ski pass purely for this reason. I'm running the 10w7 with the JL 500:1 monoblock with the L7 system. Is sounds much better than the stock bass. The only problem I have experienced is decreased bass response at high speeds presumably due to the inability to bypass the speed volume feature built into these cars. I have the sensitivity turned completely down, but still find my system "bottoming out" at high volume + high speed. Please let me know if you experience any of the same.

I think I know what the problem is. But first, let me explain how the L7 system works. The L7 system has 1) speed dependent volume control, 2) speed dependent equalization, and 3) volume dependent equalization. The logic behind this ( no pun intended ) is that while in park the noise floor is lower so the volume does not need to be so high... and come to think of it, road noise is mostly low frequency so at high speed there would need to be more total volume and a bass boost is needed to overcome the noise floor. However the engineers screwed it all up with the volume dependent EQ. The volume dependent EQ actually cuts out the bass at the upper end of loudness scale; which of course is intended to protect the small 4 inch door speakers.

So back to your question about decreased bass response at high speeds the answer is complicated since bass would normally be louder at high speeds unless the volume is so high at that high speed that the volume dependent EQ started to kick in. It is actually possible for high speed to raise or actually lower the bass at high speed depending on what the initial setting was at rest ( low speed ). I hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525D M-Sport

So ITNurse, your sub is in the boot, and their is no like "hole" or anything to the front side of the car if you know what I mean

Am I right?

regards,
MB
Old 07-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Members

Elemental Designs is what's up in car audio.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='616897' date='Jul 5 2008, 07:45 PM
Sad as it may sound, I got folding rear seats w/ ski pass purely for this reason. I'm running the 10w7 with the JL 500:1 monoblock with the L7 system. Is sounds much better than the stock bass. The only problem I have experienced is decreased bass response at high speeds presumably due to the inability to bypass the speed volume feature built into these cars. I have the sensitivity turned completely down, but still find my system "bottoming out" at high volume + high speed. Please let me know if you experience any of the same.
You can adjust the level of speed-sensitive volume control in idrive. At least in my car it's possible, not sure if it's an LCI thing.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

that should sound nice
Old 07-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Cream Sauce' post='617479' date='Jul 6 2008, 10:54 AM
So ITNurse, your sub is in the boot, and their is no like "hole" or anything to the front side of the car if you know what I mean

Am I right?

regards,
MB
Cream sauce - You're right...so far. I believe that the low frequency that the sub pushes is really TOO low for a port to make a difference. I've heard that now from 3 different "experts". If anyone can convince me that a port cut into the passenger compartment will make a difference, i'll cut the sucker open today!

southgate Posted Today, 01:57 PM
that should sound nice
It sounds much better, missing bass is now there. It does allow me to turn the volume up without bottoming out the crappy subs under the seats.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525D M-Sport

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='617665' date='Jul 7 2008, 12:31 AM
Cream sauce - You're right...so far. I believe that the low frequency that the sub pushes is really TOO low for a port to make a difference. I've heard that now from 3 different "experts". If anyone can convince me that a port cut into the passenger compartment will make a difference, i'll cut the sucker open today!

It sounds much better, missing bass is now there. It does allow me to turn the volume up without bottoming out the crappy subs under the seats.
you see behind the rear seats, their are 2 speakers, 1 on each side, directly behind the back seats headrest, cant you take them out, cut a whole in to the boot, and mount the woofer their?

I think it will look nicer plus sound better to.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

Can't wait to hear it Marco.

FANTASTIC 5 is your man to get audio from.

Quick Reply: I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.