E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Expensive car with crap audio? Mine is. Yes, mine is the low end audio system offered and the sucker really lacks bass of any significance. With a few helpful conversations from member Fantastic5 (Joe), I bought what hopefully this will be the solution. I know there are others interested in upgrading and are not sure what direction to take - maybe this is the simplest solution.

I'll have to open a port into the trunk from the rear seats, but i've already located where that will happen. I'm getting them installed tomorrow and will post my experiences and a few more pics.

JL AUDIO's W7 8" Sub, mounted in a sealed box.
JL AUDIO's 250/1 single channel amp

I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.-image004.jpg
Old 07-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

I like!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep me updated. Its next on my list of things to do.

I really want to know how the bass travels into the cabin. Seems to be the biggest issue if you don't have the ski pass through.

Even the Logic 7 is bass wimpy. Many people its fine for but any audiophile will laugh at it. The std. system (I have to) is simply pathetic. I just don't get it.............60K car with a $6 audio system. My friend's Malibu, yes Malibu is better sounding then most BMW factory systems I've heard through the years. Its just embarassing. My 97 Lexus system just eats the Logic 7 alive in quality of highs, mids, and lows. When my wife complains about the sound quality there is a big problem. Because as with many women they could careless usually just as long as it makes noise there happy. She gave me the green light a day after owning are BMW to do something with the sound quality.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: stock non-sport alpine white '04 530i

yes i wanna see more people doing audio work

my friends civic has better audio than my e60 right now :thumbsdown:
Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='616864' date='Jul 5 2008, 09:51 AM
Keep me updated. Its next on my list of things to do.

I really want to know how the bass travels into the cabin. Seems to be the biggest issue if you don't have the ski pass through.

Even the Logic 7 is bass wimpy. Many people its fine for but any audiophile will laugh at it. The std. system (I have to) is simply pathetic. I just don't get it.............60K car with a $6 audio system. My friend's Malibu, yes Malibu is better sounding then most BMW factory systems I've heard through the years. Its just embarassing. My 97 Lexus system just eats the Logic 7 alive in quality of highs, mids, and lows. When my wife complains about the sound quality there is a big problem. Because as with many women they could careless usually just as long as it makes noise there happy. She gave me the green light a day after owning are BMW to do something with the sound quality.

Let us know how it turns out.
Being installed now. Gonna make my own ski pass and im hoping the port I cut does the job . I'm not about big thoundering bass. I like a crisp, tight bass. The guys at the shop agree that the 8" W7 should do the job.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

....................put in a huge sub and get those glow lights for the undercarriage........... and those hydraulic things to make the car jump .........and ............ jk good luck
Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525D M-Sport

take plenty of pics please mate.

As I want to install 2 JL 13W7's they pound so nicelyyyy.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Sad as it may sound, I got folding rear seats w/ ski pass purely for this reason. I'm running the 10w7 with the JL 500:1 monoblock with the L7 system. Is sounds much better than the stock bass. The only problem I have experienced is decreased bass response at high speeds presumably due to the inability to bypass the speed volume feature built into these cars. I have the sensitivity turned completely down, but still find my system "bottoming out" at high volume + high speed. Please let me know if you experience any of the same.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

If you looking for only bass increase it a ok good set up to improve it, but your mids and highs will decrease unless you upgrade your front speakers..
Old 07-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='616897' date='Jul 5 2008, 01:45 PM
Sad as it may sound, I got folding rear seats w/ ski pass purely for this reason. I'm running the 10w7 with the JL 500:1 monoblock with the L7 system. Is sounds much better than the stock bass. The only problem I have experienced is decreased bass response at high speeds presumably due to the inability to bypass the speed volume feature built into these cars. I have the sensitivity turned completely down, but still find my system "bottoming out" at high volume + high speed. Please let me know if you experience any of the same.
wonder how does the l7 with the jl500 sound.
i got the l7 but i still don't think it's that great.

Quick Reply: I've got lousy audio! Hopefully this is the solution.