E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Its leaking water in here wtf!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I haven't had any leaks, but I know what I will be doing in the next days! I will clearly go in and have look, lightly blow some air around and perform the ole water leak down test... But I am still choked up aroud the pic with the windshield rubber all chewed and cracked up.. I'm thinking this is almost abuse. Wouldn't one see this and take care of it before it gets to this point?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Despite everything, good handling, power motor, brand, but thing like that should be never happen with 50,000+ car. It?s BS and BMW should take care of it, no matter age of the car and mileage .
Do we have here BMW corporative viewer and member?
I know on E46 we have such guy and he helped me to get free inspection from BMW USA.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by ricky1329
Attachment 128958 - May Help.
Do you know where is the drain around the sunroof area, are they towards to the back of the car ?

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I'm so F***ing pissed right now! I drove my car through the wash yesterday and now have water everywhere! I have wet spots on both C-Pillars, B-Pillars and A-Pillars. There is also water stains around the lights in the ceiling behind the sunroof, and some water in the passenger's footwell (very minimal). THIS MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!!

I think my sunroof seal is bad(I've had bad wind noise from it for a while now), and that is what caused this, not clogged drains(although that may be another issue too)

My car is an 06, and has warranty until April. I am going to call my SA this morning to discuss my options.

I really hope they will be able to replace the sunroof seal, headliner and stained interior pillar covers. Is this realistic to expect the warranty to cover these items?

I do not think any electronics were messed up, everything seems fine.

Any advice guys?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

UPDATE: My SA scheduled me for 8am wed, but he says the sunroof seal and drain tubes are not covered under warranty. So looks like I will be having to come up with some $$$ for repairs. If my warranty doesn't cover the sunroof seal etc, do you guys think it will cover the stained headliner/pillar covers?
Attached Thumbnails Its leaking water in here wtf!-2012-01-30-09.02.59.jpg   Its leaking water in here wtf!-2012-01-30-09.04.07.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I not sure how the warranty will work but I will caution you that if it DOESNT cover the damage, you risk mold/mildew if its not dried quick enough and/or replaced... Your car will stink not to mention the health hazzard. I was advised to contact my insurance company - and if I hadnt, I would have had over $15k out of pocket. Granted my situation was a lot different with the passenger floor being saturated and many modules along with the main wiring harness being soaked, but these cars are so complex and full of computer systems... Get as much info as you can as quick as you can. If you wait too long they wont accept the claim if you decide you need to go that route....
Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I not sure how the warranty will work but I will caution you that if it DOESNT cover the damage, you risk mold/mildew if its not dried quick enough and/or replaced... Your car will stink not to mention the health hazzard. I was advised to contact my insurance company - and if I hadnt, I would have had over $15k out of pocket. Granted my situation was a lot different with the passenger floor being saturated and many modules along with the main wiring harness being soaked, but these cars are so complex and full of computer systems... Get as much info as you can as quick as you can. If you wait too long they wont accept the claim if you decide you need to go that route....
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I won't have to file a claim. Does anyone know if the warranty would cover the water stained headliner? I can easily afford a new sunroof seal, and interior pillar trims...BUT $547.55 is still a nice chunk of change to spend on a new headliner.

I'm pretty sure all my electronics are not affected by the water, my floor carpet is dry on all sides, and was only wet in one small spot on the passenger's side. Plus, everything is operating normal.

At this point I'm thinking that if the warranty isn't going to cover anything, then I may as well just remove the headliner/trims, replacing the sunroof seal and clean out the drains myself. Sure wish someone had a handy DIY on this..

..idk this whole situation SUCKS!! Makes me nervous about owning this car after warranty without having at least $1,000 ish in the bank for unexpected $hit like this, waterpump, etc...
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I doubt it's the sunroof but, possible. I had the same leak couple of months ago

Attachment 128960

and this is why...

Attachment 128961

check your rear window trim. it may need replacing
WTF? how does a bmw E60 even the first one get like this? is this car neglected??

BMW should be a shamed of themselves
Old 01-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by LouKnew
It could be worse
Is that under the cover where the filters are located?? and what is the pump??
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by djinferno1
WTF? how does a bmw E60 even the first one get like this? is this car neglected??

BMW should be a shamed of themselves
No, often times the car is NOT neglected at all... I have found that many owners park their vehicles outside... Over time, leaves, pine needles, road dust, salt, sand etc accumulate and due to what I would call a really crappy design, these drains clog. No one seems to know where all the drains are and none of them are easy to access. It takes a catastrophic event to bring attention to it. I knew nothing about BMW's when I purchased my first one in 2009... I now know way more than I ever wanted to.

I have never known another automaker to have this issue...

Quick Reply: Its leaking water in here wtf!