E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Issues with a 2005 545i

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer, both dealers sound lazy to me.

The part about the car having to go back to the original dealer is laziness, they just didn't want to deal with the problem, what would have happened if you were out of state? If the car is under warranty any BMW dealer is supposed to fix it.

When I bought my CPO 545i the salesmen told me over and over how they went over everything in my car to make it perfect for me. When I picked up the car there was grinding from the rear wheels(E brake fried), the A/C compressor was gone and the passenger window did not operate properly. In addition, several trim pieces where very worn, even though they had replaced some pieces. I took the car back, got a loaner and said I don't want it back until everything is fixed. Which they did no problem but I have been buying cars there for a while so I get pretty good service.

If everything is fixed but the whistle, I would focus on that. No one is going to do much about issues that are resolved. If the car didn't whistle before but does now it's obvious they did something wrong. Why dealers will NEVER admit this drives me nuts when simple logic says they did. If the service manager refuses to even look at the car, I would try the owner of the dealership and then BMW NA.

Good luck. Everything in my car was resolved fairly quickly and I hope your issues get fixed. I really enjoy my car now. It's an amazing machine.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black Sports Package Billy Boat Exhaust

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='520962' date='Jan 21 2008, 08:28 PM
Bummer, both dealers sound lazy to me.

The part about the car having to go back to the original dealer is laziness, they just didn't want to deal with the problem, what would have happened if you were out of state? If the car is under warranty any BMW dealer is supposed to fix it.

When I bought my CPO 545i the salesmen told me over and over how they went over everything in my car to make it perfect for me. When I picked up the car there was grinding from the rear wheels(E brake fried), the A/C compressor was gone and the passenger window did not operate properly. In addition, several trim pieces where very worn, even though they had replaced some pieces. I took the car back, got a loaner and said I don't want it back until everything is fixed. Which they did no problem but I have been buying cars there for a while so I get pretty good service.

If everything is fixed but the whistle, I would focus on that. No one is going to do much about issues that are resolved. If the car didn't whistle before but does now it's obvious they did something wrong. Why dealers will NEVER admit this drives me nuts when simple logic says they did. If the service manager refuses to even look at the car, I would try the owner of the dealership and then BMW NA.

Good luck. Everything in my car was resolved fairly quickly and I hope your issues get fixed. I really enjoy my car now. It's an amazing machine.
The GM contacted me and we have arrange for the car to be inspected by their lead technician this Friday. Hoping everythng gets resolved satisfactorily. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all of the input.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by wardaah' post='521707' date='Jan 23 2008, 04:09 AM
The GM contacted me and we have arrange for the car to be inspected by their lead technician this Friday. Hoping everythng gets resolved satisfactorily. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all of the input.
Im glad its working out for you Wardaah. With respect to bits in the oil try to take a close up picture of what is noticed, and keep a journal of what was said and by whom. It is not standard practice to change fluids when other work is performed - service on these cars is Condition Based. With Condition-Based Services, the car will decide the proper change intervals based upon driving style and other factors. Check out the Vehicle Service Menu under iDrive to know how many miles you have remaining before service is required.

As for the wheels, I had the Sport Wheels style 124. They are very delicate and prone to cracks if subjected to moderate potholes. I started receiving tire pressure warnings shortly after I got the car. Took it to a tire shop. He showed me 3 cracks in the passenger rear wheel. I bought a repacement for $450 from a BMW dealer and had it mounted for $25. All was well for a while. I went away on business and had the car parked at lax for a couple weeks. Upon my return the car was flat (driver side rear wheel). Instead of forking over another $450 I went with aftermarket wheels - set of 4 on Ebay from EuroStop in Northridge, CA for $550 + $80 mounting (same size as the 18 inch stocks - staggered as well). I picked them up at their wherehouse and couldnt be happier. My collegue liked mine so much he purchased a set for his E46.

The 545 is an amazing car especially when modded. Goodluck Wardaah! Keep us posted.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black Sports Package Billy Boat Exhaust

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='521740' date='Jan 23 2008, 09:09 AM
Im glad its working out for you Wardaah. With respect to bits in the oil try to take a close up picture of what is noticed, and keep a journal of what was said and by whom. It is not standard practice to change fluids when other work is performed - service on these cars is Condition Based. With Condition-Based Services, the car will decide the proper change intervals based upon driving style and other factors. Check out the Vehicle Service Menu under iDrive to know how many miles you have remaining before service is required.

As for the wheels, I had the Sport Wheels style 124. They are very delicate and prone to cracks if subjected to moderate potholes. I started receiving tire pressure warnings shortly after I got the car. Took it to a tire shop. He showed me 3 cracks in the passenger rear wheel. I bought a repacement for $450 from a BMW dealer and had it mounted for $25. All was well for a while. I went away on business and had the car parked at lax for a couple weeks. Upon my return the car was flat (driver side rear wheel). Instead of forking over another $450 I went with aftermarket wheels - set of 4 on Ebay from EuroStop in Northridge, CA for $550 + $80 mounting (same size as the 18 inch stocks - staggered as well). I picked them up at their wherehouse and couldnt be happier. My collegue liked mine so much he purchased a set for his E46.

The 545 is an amazing car especially when modded. Goodluck Wardaah! Keep us posted.
Thanks for all of the help. I picked up the car from BMW service a few days ago. Turned out the noise was due to an insulation piece that was missing.

The car drives amazing. Although not as quick as my 55AMG, the handling is awesome.