E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with the LCI tail light on my E60

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 10:17 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 M package
Default Issue with the LCI tail light on my E60

Hey fellas, I kinda have a problem with my right lci tail light, as the inner rods that are closer to the trunk do not light up fully. Is there any fix for this? Do note that I have tried on an another tail light and it worked properly, so something is definitely wrong with mine. Pictures below are the comparison with the working one and the one that is problematic.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:41 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

It is a light pipe. So, the choices are the end near the bulb is dirty, melted, misaligned or the pipe itself cracked along the way in one or more places.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
It is a light pipe. So, the choices are the end near the bulb is dirty, melted, misaligned or the pipe itself cracked along the way in one or more places.
I checked for a crack on the pipes, but i cannot locate any, as you can see the rods light up properly bright further.. also, a local coding guy tried restarting the light module, and the rods light up properly, but after a split second they go bad again on the inner side.. im trully lost
Old 01-20-2023, 11:27 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Igor_E60
also, a local coding guy tried restarting the light module, and the rods light up properly, but after a split second they go bad again on the inner side
This is important information. Not sure what to make if this. Have you made any coding changes youorself? Or installed a new module?

Have you tried swapping bulbs between sides?

The car does have a emergency braking mode where something additionally happens in the rear lights -- they call it "Brake Force Display". Wonder if it could be related to that???
Old 01-20-2023, 11:41 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
This is important information. Not sure what to make if this. Have you made any coding changes youorself? Or installed a new module?

Have you tried swapping bulbs between sides?

The car does have a emergency braking mode where something additionally happens in the rear lights -- they call it "Brake Force Display". Wonder if it could be related to that???
I haven’t made any coding changes myself, nor I have swapped a new module. I immediately tried another tail light, and everything was fine, every rod lighted up from the beginning till the end, so we concluded that the tail light itself has some issue.
also, i’m not sure which bulbs are you referring to? The brake light bulbs? I have removed them from both of the tail lights, also swapped them, I think the bulbs have no connection to the LED rods, as the rods are standalone and not dependent on the bulbs..
below is an image of the other tail light that I tested:
Old 01-20-2023, 01:54 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

I think the bulbs have no connection to the LED rods, as the rods are standalone and not dependent on the bulbs
If I am not mistaken, the rods are not LED and they are just light pipes taking the light from the regular incandescent bulb and "glowing". You can try and take the existing bulbs out one at a time and see which one causes them to go dark. Then swap that bulb with the other side.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:07 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
If I am not mistaken, the rods are not LED and they are just light pipes taking the light from the regular incandescent bulb and "glowing". You can try and take the existing bulbs out one at a time and see which one causes them to go dark. Then swap that bulb with the other side.
can you please clarify which bulb is that? I always thought the rods are being lightened up by some LEDs inside the tail light.. it would be great if you showed me like a picture of which bulb you’re referring to so I can check it out
Old 01-20-2023, 02:38 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

can you please clarify which bulb is that? I always thought the rods are being lightened up by some LEDs inside the tail light.. it would be great if you showed me like a picture of which bulb you’re referring to so I can check it out
I don't know which bulb it is. Wife had a 2009 X5 with similar taillights, but that's gone a couple years now. My 2006 E60 does not have these LCI lights, so I can't check there.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Remove the bulb assy and see which bulb is on.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:18 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
I don't know which bulb it is. Wife had a 2009 X5 with similar taillights, but that's gone a couple years now. My 2006 E60 does not have these LCI lights, so I can't check there.
I just tried swapping all of the bulbs, and the problem remains..unfortunately i’m still lost bud

Quick Reply: Issue with the LCI tail light on my E60