E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ipod vs satellite?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nikko64' post='826657' date='Mar 25 2009, 05:15 PM
Hello all. I am asking your input on a dilemma I am facing. My 545 has sat radio and cd changer with logic 7. The sat radio subscription ran out months ago and I never really wanted to reactivate it as I was planning on adding the ipod adaptor which would mean removing the cd changer. I was about to order the ipod from bmw when I thought "why not just activate the sat radio. Cheap (13 USD a month). WIth ipod, I can attact it but not sure if I still need reprogramming (I had the center cd reprogrammed to play mp3's already...some say yes others say I still need 1 hour labor so im not sure)....So what do you guys think...if you have ipod would you do it all over again or would sat radio be better?
It should not an either or. SAT radio is worth $13 a month and should not be a financial issue for anyone with a BMW. The IPOD is like having your entire music library in your car-again one needs diversity in what they listen to. The answer is get both.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

The sound quality of the SAT radio is enough to guarantee that I will try to never waste my $595 again. Go with the iPod - you can control the music you hear and it will sound MUCH better.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

My SAT subscription just ended too... not sure if I'll renew it because I really only listen to AM (talk radio) when I'm in the car.. But, I'm frustrated because I bought the damn thing and want it to work anyway, even if I don't really listen to it too much... it'll be a toss-up for me over the next month or so...
Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Members

Go with the iPod adapter.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:35 PM
ADD
Senior Members

I have iPod, SAT and HD radio.

My car was delivered in Aug of 08, and got addicted to SAT for the CNBC coverage after the market hit the skids.

I've never used the in-dash CD. Never. I almost bought a CD yesterday just to use it.

I find myself flip-flopping between iPod and SAT. There's only so many commercials for, "I'll give you Chapter 4 of my book..." I'm not an iPod wherever I go person. It basically stays in the car, unless for a run.

I used to be an AM talk radio fan. Still am, but haven't listened to it in 9 months. Maybe when the market levels off, I'll go back to it.

Haven't listened to FM that much either.

HD is worthless unless you live and only travel in major metro areas. Out of the zone, it swaps from HD to regular, which is very annoying.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='828682' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:26 PM
My SAT subscription just ended too... not sure if I'll renew it because I really only listen to AM (talk radio) when I'm in the car.. But, I'm frustrated because I bought the damn thing and want it to work anyway, even if I don't really listen to it too much... it'll be a toss-up for me over the next month or so...

My dilemma exactly. I like that sat radio is always fresh and new asi I dont update my ipod too often...i fond i listen to the same song s over and opver again.
Thanks all for your advice
Old 03-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by nikko64' post='829190' date='Mar 28 2009, 04:14 PM
My dilemma exactly. I like that sat radio is always fresh and new asi I dont update my ipod too often...i fond i listen to the same song s over and opver again.
Thanks all for your advice
Roger that!

In addition, I'm an avid AudioBook listener and I usually listen to books on my MP3 player while driving... I do enjoy the SAT for some talk radio and especially NFL football when the season is alive.

Either way, there's plenty of entertainment available in our E60's, in comparison...
Old 05-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

Originally Posted by calpalmer
I agree with niqxdoof, I have both and enjoy both. IF I had to have one or the other, I'd probably go with the iPod. But I listen to SAT a lot too.

Cal
yes i have both as well and i use my ipod more than sat,but to have both is very nice.nice to have choices like that in ur ride!