E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPOD retrofit justifies a free CIP upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer quoted me ?475 (about $900) for the iPod cable and the upgrade on my 2005 645ci. I declined their less than generous offer.

I think they later upgraded the software to fix another issue as some of the icons are different in the Nav screen. Is there an easy way to tell which version I have? Apologies if this has been asked before.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' post='388377
Dealer charged me ~$100 just to hook it to the computer and activate the Aux-Input source feature.
You got a good deal, other dealers charge more for this.

Originally Posted by Jester99' post='388927' date='Feb 8 2007, 03:38 PM
My dealer quoted me ?475 (about $900) for the iPod cable and the upgrade on my 2005 645ci. I declined their less than generous offer.
Run away from that dealer
Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60orBust' post='388428
You got a good deal, other dealers charge more for this.
How is $100 to activate the aux in a good deal?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388986' date='Feb 8 2007, 05:40 PM
That is a lot to activate the aux input feature.

How is $100 to activate the aux in a good deal?
How much have you paid? Unless the dealer agrees to do it for free, I don't think they will bother to do any iDrive related retrofit/activation/program update for less than that but correct me if I'm wrong.

Or, how much do they charge to do the whole installation (Including the part) compared to the part price? (I know, this varies by dealer)

If anybody knows a dealer in the Atlanta area that will be willing to do it for less than that, please let me know.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='389015' date='Feb 8 2007, 07:20 PM
How much have you paid? Unless the dealer agrees to do it for free, I don't think they will bother to do any iDrive related retrofit/activation/program update for less than that but correct me if I'm wrong.

Or, how much do they charge to do the whole installation (Including the part) compared to the part price? (I know, this varies by dealer)

If anybody knows a dealer in the Atlanta area that will be willing to do it for less than that, please let me know.
Fortunately, aux input comes standard now.

As you already anticipated, your other questions on how much others charge aren?t answerable due to differences by dealer. I?m not saying $100 is terrible but it?s no bagain either. That is all.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388174' date='Feb 7 2007, 01:40 AM
Warranties and policies vary WIDELY by market. For example BMW NA provides a 4 year warranty with full maintenance. I am not aware of any other market with that combination (although one might exist).

Similarly, how service is ,,handled`` varies greatly and policies are set locally.

BMW Norway confirmed that this is not a part of the European warranty.

:'(

Not only do you US guys have nice prices, but you also have the best warranty.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388134' date='Feb 6 2007, 11:02 PM
Further to this, your interpretation is correct. An upgrade is free under warranty for accessory installation such as the iPod installation under BMW NA?s warranty.
Also in Holland. The software update is included in the price for the ipod interface.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi Sports Wagon, Steptronic, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota, ZPP, CW, NAV, PDC, Rear Shades.

Having decided to get the iPod Integration adapter, I've spent the past 3 days researching the purchase and installation experiences of BMW owners on all of the major BMW forums (here, E60.net, E90post.com, BFest, BForums). It's absolutely amazing the range of expense that BMW owners have paid in getting their iPod adapters installed at the dealership.

The eyes tend to get blurry after reading so many iPod adapter installation related message threads, but I believe I've seen proof of only one owner who managed to get the CIP programming done for free at Kuni BMW in Portland.

Has anyone else actually used SIB010306 to obtain a free CID retrofit programming at a US BMW dealer?
Has anyone received a significant discount on an iPod adapter from any of the discount BMW parts depts (Crevier, Morristown, Pacific, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, A-Dude
Old 03-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Originally Posted by asawadude' post='407636' date='Mar 27 2007, 12:36 PM
Having decided to get the iPod Integration adapter, I've spent the past 3 days researching the purchase and installation experiences of BMW owners on all of the major BMW forums (here, E60.net, E90post.com, BFest, BForums). It's absolutely amazing the range of expense that BMW owners have paid in getting their iPod adapters installed at the dealership.

The eyes tend to get blurry after reading so many iPod adapter installation related message threads, but I believe I've seen proof of only one owner who managed to get the CIP programming done for free at Kuni BMW in Portland.

Has anyone else actually used SIB010306 to obtain a free CID retrofit programming at a US BMW dealer?
Has anyone received a significant discount on an iPod adapter from any of the discount BMW parts depts (Crevier, Morristown, Pacific, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, A-Dude
The best way to go about is to order the iPod part from Garry Romani of Newport BMW and install it yourself. Then take your car down to your stealership and just get them to program the car only. Bring along the SIB that you mentioned, and they should do it for free.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi Sports Wagon, Steptronic, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota, ZPP, CW, NAV, PDC, Rear Shades.

As follow up, I had the iPod integration adapter installed in my 530xit today at my local dealer. Total price was $254.95 for the adapter, 1.5 hours of labor at $184.50 which included installation and programming, and local tax of $21.03 for a total of $460.48.

The labor included 45 minutes for adapter installation and 45 minutes for CD changer programming (not equipped in my 530xit) which included an upgrade to Progman v25.00.

The best price I received as $240.00 + $6.50 shipping from Morristown BMW. Normally I would have done the install myself, but I wanted to get the adapter installed before heading out on a driving vacation down to San Diego this weekend. The iPod adapter works as expected. Sound reproduction is as good as the quality of my CD rips. The interface is kind of clunky and has a tacked on feel, but it does the job. I can see that I'll need to reorganize my music to fit the constraints of the iPod/iDrive interface.

I actually spent more time fiddling with the new Progman v25.00 features. Lots of incremental improvements, much of which has already been discussed in other threads. POI is definitely more usable with a new search feature.

So far, it looks like money well spent.

Quick Reply: IPOD retrofit justifies a free CIP upgrade?