5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   IPOD retrofit justifies a free CIP upgrade? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/ipod-retrofit-justifies-free-cip-upgrade-36480/)

havard@haslerud.no 02-06-2007 11:39 AM

Just read the SIB Warranty Claims for Software Update Programming (Progman).

There are some wording here that really caught me attention. How should I interpet this????

A short prelude:
Recently installed the IPOD interface, replacing my CD6 changer. In addition to the cost of the IPOD interface I also had to pay for a CIP upgrade. And as the dealer did his programming I was called up and told that I also had to change my Tow-bar control module to be able to do the upgrade. At this point I really wanted my IPOD interface so of course I said OK. By the end of the day the IPOD interface (approx 300$) programming (450$) and tow-bar control module (approx 230$) had cost me nearly a 1000$.

Now back to this SIB.

It states:
The six allowable reasons that software update programming may be claimed under Warranty are as
follows:
6. Software update programming was required as part of an electronic accessory installation*

*IMPORTANT: The installation of some accessories such as satellite radios and CD disc changers
require a change to the Vehicle Order (VO). This function is carried out using the "Retrofits" section
of Progman. When connecting to Progman to perform the "Retrofit Coding", the Status Report will
indicate if a software update is required. This software update must be performed before the
"Retrofit coding" can be carried out.

NEW! The software update and any control module replacement required to prepare the vehicle for the
"Retrofit Coding" of the accessory is covered under the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All
control modules must be identified by the measures plan or status report created by Progman. The
"Retrofit Coding" of the vehicle software specifically associated with the installation of the
accessory is included in the customer pay installation charge. See Aftersales Bulletin 65 09 06.

I assume that the IPOD retrofit would be equal to a cd disc changer retrofit.

Am I missing something or is this SIB stating that the CIP update and tow-bar control module should be covered by warranty?

Can someone enlighten me please!

JSpira 02-06-2007 12:54 PM

What you are quoting from sounds as if it comes from BMW NA.

Did you bring your car to a BMW NA dealer?

JSpira 02-06-2007 01:02 PM

Further to this, your interpretation is correct. An upgrade is free under warranty for accessory installation such as the iPod installation under BMW NA?s warranty.

havard@haslerud.no 02-06-2007 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388134' date='Feb 6 2007, 11:02 PM
Further to this, your interpretation is correct. An upgrade is free under warranty for accessory installation such as the iPod installation under BMW NA?s warranty.

I believe the same applies to European cars?

At least it has done so on other SIBs, but who knows.

I think I need to check this with BMW Norway. What a mess! :blink:

doug_999 02-06-2007 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bobkare' post='388137' date='Feb 6 2007, 04:06 PM

Others here in the US have been told that they have to pay - I believe this is wrong and as you have posted (at least here in the US) it is covered by the BMW warranty.

JSpira 02-06-2007 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bobkare' post='388137' date='Feb 6 2007, 05:06 PM

Warranties and policies vary WIDELY by market. For example BMW NA provides a 4 year warranty with full maintenance. I am not aware of any other market with that combination (although one might exist).

Similarly, how service is ,,handled`` varies greatly and policies are set locally.

jsal 02-07-2007 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388134' date='Feb 6 2007, 02:02 PM

Where do I find this to take into my dealer. They just quoted an Ipod upgradt at $800.00 with the software upgrade. I was going to try to find a problem that they needed to upgrade the software for free.

Any help with the documentation would be much appreciated.

E60orBust 02-07-2007 11:35 AM

I didn't download the link but based on what you quoted, should my i-Drive upgrade have been free since I installed the auxillary harness adapter myself and only had the dealer "flip the switch" by running the software upgrade?

Dealer charged me ~$100 just to hook it to the computer and activate the Aux-Input source feature.

JSpira 02-07-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by E60orBust' post='388428' date='Feb 7 2007, 03:35 PM
I didn't download the link but based on what you quoted, should my i-Drive upgrade have been free since I installed the auxillary harness adapter myself and only had the dealer "flip the switch" by running the software upgrade?

no

JSpira 02-07-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jsal' post='388377' date='Feb 7 2007, 01:50 PM
Where do I find this to take into my dealer. They just quoted an Ipod upgradt at $800.00 with the software upgrade. I was going to try to find a problem that they needed to upgrade the software for free.

Any help with the documentation would be much appreciated.

It is in the sib for the ipod installation