E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iPod connector/adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a question. Did you get the Ipod option along with the aux input or just the aux option. I think but not sure that you have to pay for both for the ipod to work without the aux input. I know the x5 has both options listed.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='931406' date='Jul 3 2009, 12:24 AM
Here is a question. Did you get the Ipod option along with the aux input or just the aux option. I think but not sure that you have to pay for both for the ipod to work without the aux input. I know the x5 has both options listed.
double checked in the 535...it only lists AUX option, there is no separate iPod option. when i cycle through my modes i get FM, CD, SAT, WB, AUX...
Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='930708' date='Jul 2 2009, 11:39 AM
To clarify. I take my white iPod cable, plug it into the USB port and only plug the iPod end into mu iPod and that is it. I do not need any aux cable from the headphone port of my iPod to the aux input in the car. It acts exactly like my iPod adapter that I have in my 2004 545.

that's pretty cool how in the x5's, you can hook up only the USB cable from the console to the iPod/iPhone. i tried doing the same in the e60 but i didn't get any mp3's to work...seems like the e60's require both the USB and the 3.5mm jack adaptor in order to play the mp3's.

i've just about given up that there's a solution...i dunno if the muted iPod/iPhone native sounds is something specific to only bmw's or if other apple users experience this in other car manufacturers as well...
Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

I need to rehash this thread because I learned something which may clarify some things. My biggest question I have had is why do people need this Y adapter. Well I finally have gotten to the bottom of this and I why I was confused. I just purchased a new Ipod and put it in my X and found out that the ipod was not being decoded and all the songs that were displayed on the Idrive was in the CCZDY format which Apple hashes songs on the Ipod. I brought the car in and found out that the latest firmware that Apple has out would cause the IDrive to not decode the ipod. So BMW fixed this with a new software update for the cars. This created the issue where BMW could not get sound and the songs to properly decode via the single Apple cable and then created the Y cable mentioned earlier in this thread. So what I did is took my older IPOD restored it to a firm where where it worked and tried it in the X before the latest software update and sure enough it worked the way I explained above. I know understand why the Y cable was needed. I was told that BMW has communicated the issue with Apple but they have no idea when or if this will be fixed.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

Except that's not it (your observation is correct, it's just not the reason BMW uses the Y-Cable).

The Y cable is required to allow DRM music (which is still on many iPods even if Apple in iTunes is no longer restricting files via DRM) to play and also to guarantee that the correct data is transmitted to the car.

Keep in mind that the iPod's output is always analog - regardless of whether you are using the white iPod cable or the Y-cable. There's no reason not to leave the Y-cable in the car. In the U.S. it's free with the 6FL option (not so in other markets). Also, the iPod interface is designed around the Y-cable so when either BMW or Apple make changes in their respective software, the Y-cable is what is tested to ensure compatibility.

BMW does not support the use of the iPod with the white iPod cable and is undoubtedly NOT trying to figure out how to get it to work since they want people to use the Y-cable.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by owwo' post='932020' date='Jul 3 2009, 07:26 PM
that's pretty cool how in the x5's, you can hook up only the USB cable from the console to the iPod/iPhone. i tried doing the same in the e60 but i didn't get any mp3's to work...seems like the e60's require both the USB and the 3.5mm jack adaptor in order to play the mp3's.
the 6FL system is the same in both cars. It doesn't work any differently in the X5 versus the 5er Reihe.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

You are correct in saying that you need the Y cable but you are incorrect in saying BMW designed the system that way. It was forced upon BMW. I have tested this and talking with the techs confirmed it. I have more than one iPod and I restored the firm ware back to a early 2007 versions and my iPod worked with the White cable just like the Y cable does now. Plus the 6FL package in 2007 did not come STD in the X5 because it was not an issue. BMW did give me a complemetary cable since it was not included when it was not needed but it is needed now.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='950702
Plus the 6FL package in 2007 did not come STD in the X5 because it was not an issue.
No idea what you are trying to say here. 6FL is not standard in the X5 now either nor is it standard in the 5er Reihe. It's an option you order when you spec these cars.
Originally Posted by MRV99' post='950702' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:57 PM
BMW did give me a complemetary cable since it was not included when it was not needed but it is needed now.
Someone lied to you as it came with your car. (You meant "complimentary" btw.) But the Y-cable has been standard with the 6FL option in the BMW NA market since it was introduced.