E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Intermittent wiper / rain sensor stopped working...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The regular wiper controls still work. I assume that the rain sensor is bad. I do have some time left on my extended warrantee, however for the last year and a half, my radar detector has been powered off of the rain sensor circuit. The radar still works so it is probably not a fuse. I worrry the dealer will not cover a system that has been tampered with. What would the dealer charge to replace it? Is it a DIY? Anybody dealt with this?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Deano' post='812052' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:36 PM
The regular wiper controls still work. I assume that the rain sensor is bad. I do have some time left on my extended warrantee, however for the last year and a half, my radar detector has been powered off of the rain sensor circuit. The radar still works so it is probably not a fuse. I worrry the dealer will not cover a system that has been tampered with. What would the dealer charge to replace it? Is it a DIY? Anybody dealt with this?

I have not dealt with this but I am very interested since I'd like to enable the light sensor on my "Rain/Light solar sensor" as it's called in the wiring diagram.

Before doing any real physical work, see if the dealer will run the service function ?Initialize rain sensor? in the BMW diagnosis system. This basically resets the rain sensor.

The sensor may not be working because of a crack or something else that is blocking the sensor.

You didn't happen to have your windshield replaced recently, did you?

Otherwise...

Get out your can-bus analyzer - looking at the wiring diagram, I do not see a simple signal wire that would go to an controller that you could probe. The communication between the rain/light sensor and the controller is can-bus.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='812156' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:02 AM
I have not dealt with this but I am very interested since I'd like to enable the light sensor on my "Rain/Light solar sensor" as it's called in the wiring diagram.

Before doing any real physical work, see if the dealer will run the service function ?Initialize rain sensor? in the BMW diagnosis system. This basically resets the rain sensor.

The sensor may not be working because of a crack or something else that is blocking the sensor.

You didn't happen to have your windshield replaced recently, did you?

Otherwise...

Get out your can-bus analyzer - looking at the wiring diagram, I do not see a simple signal wire that would go to an controller that you could probe. The communication between the rain/light sensor and the controller is can-bus.
I wish the windshield had a crack. It's so pitted I'd love to have a new one.

I'm more mechanical than electrical. To me It would seem to be one of two things, a bad sensor behind the widshield, or something wrong with the control switch on the steering column. The control switch does light up when you press it, but the initial wipe that you expect does not happen. If I remember correctly, when you first turn on the intermittent wipers, they perform a wipe and then hand it over to the sensor based on your speed setting.

I'm sorry I have no idea what the "can-bus" is. I guess there could be an open somewhere between the control swith and the sensor, or between the sensor and the wiper motor. What a scary thought if the problem was burried in a harness.

If anyone has replaced their own rain sensor, I'd like to know how it went and what kind of $$$ are we talking about?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Deano' post='813646
To me It would seem to be one of two things, a bad sensor behind the widshield, or something wrong with the control switch on the steering column. The control switch does light up when you press it, but the initial wipe that you expect does not happen.
That's why you should to take it to the dealer to try the reset. It would verify if the sensor has gone bad...

Here's the mechanical-electrical connection from the steering column switch:
steering column switch button -> PT CAN-BUS (Powertrain CAN-BUS) -> Body Gateway Module -> K-CAN (Body CAN-BUS) -> body base module and/or rain/driving light sensor.

So, if the button is lighting up, then the controller is working. The sensor may not be responding to the commands from the controller. This might be because of a loose or shorted wire.

If you attached the radar detector to the power available near the sensor, check to make sure some wires aren't getting shorted or have been cut/disconnected.

Originally Posted by Deano' post='813646
I'm sorry I have no idea what the "can-bus" is.
Humm... Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_Area_Network

Originally Posted by Deano' post='813646' date='Mar 11 2009, 08:27 AM
I guess there could be an open somewhere between the control swith and the sensor, or between the sensor and the wiper motor. What a scary thought if the problem was burried in a harness.
Unlikely. It's probably because of a short or signal loss on CAN-BUS from the sensor.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='813759' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:59 PM
I think you're in trouble with cars these days then...

That's why you should to take it to the dealer to try the reset. It would verify if the sensor has gone bad...

Here's the mechanical-electrical connection from the steering column switch:
steering column switch button -> PT CAN-BUS (Powertrain CAN-BUS) -> Body Gateway Module -> K-CAN (Body CAN-BUS) -> body base module and/or rain/driving light sensor.

So, if the button is lighting up, then the controller is working. The sensor may not be responding to the commands from the controller. This might be because of a loose or shorted wire.

If you attached the radar detector to the power available near the sensor, check to make sure some wires aren't getting shorted or have been cut/disconnected.

Yep.

Humm... Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_Area_Network

Unlikely. It's probably because of a short or signal loss on CAN-BUS from the sensor.
Holy Sh!t Batman! I'll try the dealer.

Thank you
Old 04-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Deano' post='814266' date='Mar 11 2009, 07:21 PM
Holy Sh!t Batman! I'll try the dealer.
So what was the result?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by Deano' post='813646' date='Mar 11 2009, 11:27 AM
I'm sorry I have no idea what the "can-bus" is.
Isn't that something you smoke??