E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittant flat spot....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530D, Dension 500S BT
Default Intermittant flat spot....

Hi,

This my first post on this forum, so, hello everyone!

I've had my E61 3.0d with now with 94k miles on it for a couple of years, love it, no major problems so far, however, it has intermittently started to lose all power when setting off, but only after being driven hard, and only when in gear. When 'hot' the engine revs from idle to about 1200 rpm then flat spots until the revs hit about 16-1800 rpm then it's off like the clappers. It revs in neutral no problem, drop it back into drive, flat spots again.

I took the car to an indy recently who reported (I think it was) a 3FF0 fault code and as they've apparently seen/done a few of these they recommended a new EGR, a new inlet manifold, head removal and de-coke, he reckons it'll cost about £2k.

I've had the EGR valve off today assuming it would need cleaning, although it didn't as it's already been done by someone (I could also see the scratch marks ). I was planning on taking the inlet manifolf off next (didn't have a T47 torx for the engine bay struts!) to see what state that's in.

BUT, I can't reconcile the flat spot issue with a build-up of carbon as it only happens after driving hard, or deliberately keeping the engine at extended high revs, when the engine (or some part of it) is 'hot'. After driving gently for a while the problem goes away again. Not knowing much (anything) about the mechanics of the engine I would have thought a carbon build-up would affect the engine at all times.

Any suggestions welcome!