E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting "Which engine oil should I use in my car "

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

source: http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf

"In our catalog, we say Lubro Moly is the best oil you can put in your BMW?s or MINI?s engine. This invariably generates questions from our customers: ?BMW says I should use their Castrol 5W-30 oil. The label says it?s ?full synthetic? but Lubro Moly?s label says ?synthetic technology.? And Lubro Moly is more expensive. So why do you say Lubro Moly is better??

First of all, the only wrong choice you can make when it comes to engine oil is not changing it often enough. BMW says you can go 15,000 miles between oil changes. That certainly makes BMW?s ?overall cost of ownership? look better and it reduces how many oil changes a dealer has to perform during the $0 BMW Maintenance Program, but after 35 years of working with BMWs and MINIs, we don?t think it?s in the best interest of the engine. We believe you should change your oil approximately every 7,000 miles if you use an oil that meets BMWs Longlife-04 standards and more often with an oil that does not. ?Full synthetic? does not mean better protection.

Both BMW and Lubro Moly 5W-30 are ?hydrocrack? oils (restructured mineral oil with synthetic materials added for extra protection and longer life). Castrol is made in the USA where, under a 1999 ruling, it can legally be labelled as ?full synthetic." In Germany, these words are reserved for oils that are 100% man-made material (i.e. no mineral oil). As a result, Lubro Moly 5W-30, which is made in Germany, must be labelled ?synthetic technology? even though it contains higher-quality additives and provides better protection than the BMW/Castrol 5W-30. How do we know it?s better?

? Lubro Moly 5W-30 has been tested and approved by BMW in Germany under Longlife-04 standards. It has an API (American Petroleum Institute) rating of SM, and it?s rated by the ACEA (European Automobile Manufacturers? Assoc.) as A3-04/B4-04/C3-04. This is all on the Lubro Moly label. (And we know how the Germans feel about accurate labels.)

? We tried to find ratings on BMW 5W-30, but the Castrol web site refers you to BMW, and the BMW web site* offers no data ? it simply lists a few oils that meet the old BMW Longlife-01 standards. No mention is made of BMW 5W-30 meeting Longlife-04, on either the site or the label, and there?s no mention of ACEA ratings. Interestingly, BMW does say, ?Use only oils with an API rating of SM or higher,? but the label on the BMW 5W-30 bottle says its API rating is SL.

We suppose it?s possible BMW USA hasn?t updated its web site or label since ?04 when the new Longlife standards came out. It?s also possible they haven?t updated the oil. Does that make BMW 5W-30 a poor choice for your engine? Not at all, but it?s certainly not better than Lubro Moly 5W-30.

* http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

One more reason to choose Lubro Moly: new, lower prices.

Our good friends at Liqui Moly (Lubro Moly?s parent company in Germany) asked us what they could do to sell more 5W-30 oil to BMW and MINI owners in North America. ?That?s easy,? we replied, ?lower the price to make it competitive with the BMW oil.? So they did. Now a 1-liter bottle of Lubro Moly 5W-30 is the same price as a 1-quart bottle of BMW 5W-30 ($7.95), and a 5-liter jug of Lubro Moly 5W-30 is now $34.95 (BMW offers only the 1-quart bottle). So for a typical oil change of 6.5 liters(6.9 quarts), you would pay $55.65 for7 quarts of BMW 5W-30, but just $50.85 for 7 liters
of Lubro Moly. (And still have half a liter left over for topping off.) You get more of a better oil for less money ? sounds like a no brainer to us. "

------

I am happy to stick Lubro Moly since 1 year ago!