E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Input needed on new tires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

Thanks all for the input. I ended up going with the PS2s. DWs were a close second. Just ordered now, should have them on Tuesday!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

You made a good choice. The only thing I don't like about the Pilot Sports is the price, but you get what you pay for .
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Just ordered Continental DW tires and Miro 111's, heard a lot of good things about Conti's low noise and good grip. Should receive them in a week or so.
hopefully my conti dw should be coming soon....!!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

I just replaced my RFTs w/Conti Extreme DSWs.. they are quiet and nice... Only issue I think I am perceiving is they are not has good on hard backing turns...The RFTs were like driving on rails...These tires feel like they give way on hard ramp turning. Kind of feel insecure with them after 2 months still
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by gregg2gs
I just replaced my RFTs w/Conti Extreme DSWs.. they are quiet and nice... Only issue I think I am perceiving is they are not has good on hard backing turns...The RFTs were like driving on rails...These tires feel like they give way on hard ramp turning. Kind of feel insecure with them after 2 months still
They need to be broken in about 1000 miles befor they start to grip and stop tramlining. My DWS were like that at first.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - Steptronic - Logic 7 - Sirius Satellite - CD Changer - Cold Weather Pkg.- Fold Down Rear Seats - Comfort Seats Mods: Dinan CAI - RPI dual intake scoops - Euro AHL Bi-Xenons - LED Angels,
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by dantheman1
To clarify, I had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Pilot...sim_sbs_auto_5), not the A/S pilots. Different tires. I really like the conti DWS I have on the rear's now. In 9k miles, the rear super sports looked like this: and that was with 2 alignments done over the time period the tires were on the car, so the alignment was perfect (-2 camber rear).

It is NOT the alignment, it is the Negative Camber in the rear that causes the inside tire wear as in these pics! Camber Exaggerated when you go to 19 or 20's. That is why I buy a good budget tire, Nitto NT 555's as in the rear your tires wear out about 15K miles or so. I know because I have driven over 55K miles in my 545i and replaced the rears 4 times. I'll swap sides on rears- left tire to right side, and right to left side thus swapping the inside tire wear, my local Goodyear tire shop charges about 25 bucks each wheel to do this as tires have to be removed and replaced on each wheel. The Nittos are quiet, smooth, reasonbale traction in wet- never had any hydroplaning in So Calif storm,no complaints with dry grip, no tramlining, and last a long time. Really when driving a 4K lb sedan, do we really need dry traction of a track tire and then lucky i f they last 10K miles? I replaced a set of 4 tires including installation for bout $800 all 4. 275-30-20 in rear The fronts lasted till 30K + miles and would have gotten more but they rubbed slightly and caused a groove on the inside tread. Michelins and Conti's are great tires, but the extra dough you pay for them not worth it IMO due to the negative camber wear and not lasting more than 15K miles or so. When ready for your next replacement on rears, you probably will see the light.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

I wanted to give an update on my purchase. I went with the PS2s and thought they gripped really well, but they do give off alot of noise. I noticed it at 35 mph and around 55 mph. I was looking at several different options with wheel upgrades but decided to go for the better tire on my stock 124s. I just couldn't get over the noise they made, and knew it would be something that buged me, so I went ahead and swapped them out for the DWs today. Havn't had a chance to ride on them, just home from the shop, so will have more feedback later on. But, since I went with the less expensive tires, I said what the hell and pulled the trigger on a set of 19" staggered Miro 111's.