E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Input needed on new tires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

I?m going to purchase new tires and am looking for input on them. If you can relay any info you have with past or current experience, or any overall thoughts, it would be appreciated. They will be going on an ?07 550i w/ sport package. Looking at 245/35/19 front and 285/30/19 rear. I live near Chicago and will be swapping them with my winter set. The three types are:

Continental Extreme Contact DW
http://www.conti-online.com/generato...act_dw_en.html

Bridgestone Potenza S-04
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/produ..._Pole_Position

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i M SPORT - 6 SPEED MANUAL

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. You can't go wrong with them. I had them in my stock 19s before i switched to 20s. They grip SUPER well with low road noise. Last long and they are great wet weather tires also.

+1 to the Michelins.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by troc
I?m going to purchase new tires and am looking for input on them. If you can relay any info you have with past or current experience, or any overall thoughts, it would be appreciated. They will be going on an ?07 550i w/ sport package. Looking at 245/35/19 front and 285/30/19 rear. I live near Chicago and will be swapping them with my winter set. The three types are:

Continental Extreme Contact DW
http://www.conti-online.com/generato...act_dw_en.html

Bridgestone Potenza S-04
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/produ..._Pole_Position

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Thanks in advance
I am in the same situation as u...I need to replace all my tires and deciding which to go for... After reading reviews and considering price etc, i think I'm going to go for the Continentals...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

Originally Posted by T1000BP
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. You can't go wrong with them. I had them in my stock 19s before i switched to 20s. They grip SUPER well with low road noise. Last long and they are great wet weather tires also.

+1 to the Michelins.
Thanks T1000BP,

I heard that they grip awesome, are quite on asphalt roads but you can hear them while on concrete some. When you say last long, can you give me an idea for the rears? I have heard some people burn through them much faster than the 20k they are supposed to last.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mark_hk
I am in the same situation as u...I need to replace all my tires and deciding which to go for... After reading reviews and considering price etc, i think I'm going to go for the Continentals...
Thanks for the feedback Mark_hk. I think the Continentals are in the running for me because they are like $800 or so cheaper compared to the PS2?s. So I?m trying to see for the difference in price, is it worth it? I can burn through these and get another rear set and still be ahead.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

see this site.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position
Old 03-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Can't go wrong with the Pilot Sport. Costco is the cheapest place you will find them!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by best1
Thanks best1. Appreciate the link. Good video and tons of info, especially under the full test report. More insight on what to consider. Not sure if that?s a good or bad thing ?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport

One tire that is overlooked and used by the BMW racing team is...

Hankook Ventus V12 Evos.

Discount Tire Link

I run the Evos on my 550i Sport and love them.

I had the Pilot Sports great tire but noisy.

Best of luck in your decisions, you have some good choices.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tprenaldo
Can't go wrong with the Pilot Sport. Costco is the cheapest place you will find them!!!
I love Costco; I purchased tires there for my wife?s old X5. They were really anal when I needed a new tire on my 335i however. I wanted an inexpensive tire put on just to last me the last 6 weeks I had on my lease. They would not put a non-run flat on the car. Long story short I didn?t want to drop the extra cash in a car I was giving back to BMW in just over a month, so I went elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Input needed on new tires!