E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Input needed on new tires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

Originally Posted by earossi
I am now on my second set of Continentals. Though the DW's offer slightly better summer traction, I chose to run the DWS model which is their four season tire in this high performance tire category. Unless you drive your BMW like a Porsche on a track, I defy you to tell the difference between the Summer and All Season tires for Summer useage. I will grant that pushed to their limits, the Summer tires will be slightly superior. However, the trade off is winter useage. The DWS's are the overall BEST four season tire I have ever run in the winter on any of my cars.. I also live in Chicago and the snow storms we experience are incredibly handled better by the DWS's than any other four season tire I have ever owned. So, I can run the same tire all year long. I have also been able to consistently get more than 30K miles out of the DWS tires.

If you are looking for the all out ultimate in a summer performance tire, then look at the Michelins. However, when you consider that the Continentals are about 35% less expensive, handle almost as well, and are a four season tire, well.....to me there is not really any comparison. We also forgot to mention that the DWS's are a more comfortable riding tire and are more quiet than the Michelin. Makes them hard to beat.

The only one area where I can tell a difference that would favor the Michelin's is on turn-in, where the response is more instantaneous with the Michelins. No doubt about that. But, is that one minor weakness enough to push you into buying two different sets of tires for year round driving.....at a premium of about 35%, and when you consider that the Michelins wear faster than the Continentals, the cost differential is actually much greater.

By the way, I run my tires on a 545 with the Sport Suspension that I drive fairly hard. Almost as hard as I do drive my 993 Porsche.
Thanks earossi for your thoughts. I have been reading that comfort is better in the Continentals and I'm glad you are confirming this. I already have a dedicated winter set so I am opting for a dedicated summer performance tire over the AS. I think the only thing that I'm hung up on is the performance issue. I like the PS2s, I just need to weigh the pros and cons now.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by earossi
I am now on my second set of Continentals. Though the DW's offer slightly better summer traction, I chose to run the DWS model which is their four season tire in this high performance tire category. Unless you drive your BMW like a Porsche on a track, I defy you to tell the difference between the Summer and All Season tires for Summer useage. I will grant that pushed to their limits, the Summer tires will be slightly superior. However, the trade off is winter useage. The DWS's are the overall BEST four season tire I have ever run in the winter on any of my cars.. I also live in Chicago and the snow storms we experience are incredibly handled better by the DWS's than any other four season tire I have ever owned. So, I can run the same tire all year long. I have also been able to consistently get more than 30K miles out of the DWS tires.

If you are looking for the all out ultimate in a summer performance tire, then look at the Michelins. However, when you consider that the Continentals are about 35% less expensive, handle almost as well, and are a four season tire, well.....to me there is not really any comparison. We also forgot to mention that the DWS's are a more comfortable riding tire and are more quiet than the Michelin. Makes them hard to beat.

The only one area where I can tell a difference that would favor the Michelin's is on turn-in, where the response is more instantaneous with the Michelins. No doubt about that. But, is that one minor weakness enough to push you into buying two different sets of tires for year round driving.....at a premium of about 35%, and when you consider that the Michelins wear faster than the Continentals, the cost differential is actually much greater.

By the way, I run my tires on a 545 with the Sport Suspension that I drive fairly hard. Almost as hard as I do drive my 993 Porsche.
+1, I 100% concur with this. I had michelin pilot super sports (note, summer tires but not the same as PS2's) and didn't like them at all. The rears wore out in 9k miles (although I do drive my 550i hard and the -2 camber doesn't help) and for a $350 each tire, that seemed a little too quick for me. Also, they did not grip well in wet weather or cold weather. I'm sure that on the track on a hot summer day, they can't be beat, but I'm much much happier with my conti DWS. They have a 50k mile tread warranty and have so far proved amazing in Texas downpours and hot weather alike.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dantheman1
+1, I 100% concur with this. I had michelin pilot super sports (note, summer tires but not the same as PS2's) and didn't like them at all. The rears wore out in 9k miles (although I do drive my 550i hard and the -2 camber doesn't help) and for a $350 each tire, that seemed a little too quick for me. Also, they did not grip well in wet weather or cold weather. I'm sure that on the track on a hot summer day, they can't be beat, but I'm much much happier with my conti DWS. They have a 50k mile tread warranty and have so far proved amazing in Texas downpours and hot weather alike.
the A/S Michelin pilot sports do not seem to work well on our cars, premature wear and limited warranty on staggered set-ups...what i have read before and after i purchased. my dws contis >>> $556 delivered --- Mich A/S pilot >>> $800+ [as i recall] i paid $750 with install, road force balance, and laser f/r alignment.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW535xia
the A/S Michelin pilot sports do not seem to work well on our cars, premature wear and limited warranty on staggered set-ups...what i have read before and after i purchased. my dws contis >>> $556 delivered --- Mich A/S pilot >>> $800+ [as i recall] i paid $750 with install, road force balance, and laser f/r alignment.

What size Conti did u buy? thats a good price!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i SMG (cleanly modded) Honda S2000 (Track and Street setup) 2006 CBR rr 1000 (Street and track setup)

I usually get the Continental Exteme Contact DW which are great tires overall. I then got a hold of some Hankooks VentusV12 EVO, all I can say so far regarding the Hankooks are wow! Great tires for the price. The Michelins are ok.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Members

I've had the Continentals on my 06 550i (245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear) for about 3 months now and so far so good, grip is awesome, very quiet, they have a good warranty, and for that price idk how much better the michelins could be
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

I have just put 20" on my car, so the choice is limited. I went with bridgestone potenza re760a's. Very happy by now. I will see how will those do after thread degrade a bit. Very quiet though and quite grippy. Gl with any choice u make. I would not buy any brand like falken nexen or cooper. Would not risk safety for savings. Mine and my family. Tires are the only think keeping you on the road.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I've had Continental DWS for about a year now and I like them. The threads on them are still full and I enjoy a nice quiet ride even on 20"s. When these go out, I would try the DW just to see how they are since there isn't much snow here in Los Angeles.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Running DWS on my 545i and excellent tire so far! Zero issues just keep tire pressure around 36-37psi...to avoid any flat spotting.

Will be getting the DW for the M in summer.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

Originally Posted by dantheman1
Wow in 9k miles. That seems a bit too quick for me. I would hope for at least twice that amount if not more! Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Input needed on new tires!