E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Input needed on new tires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

Originally Posted by flyguy0
One tire that is overlooked and used by the BMW racing team is...

Hankook Ventus V12 Evos.

Discount Tire Link

I run the Evos on my 550i Sport and love them.

I had the Pilot Sports great tire but noisy.

Best of luck in your decisions, you have some good choices.
I am not familiar with the brand that much and don?t have any past experience with them (I have had more cars then I can count it seems like). Pricing seems to be good. Thanks for the info flyguy0
Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

I'll throw out a different suggestion. Cooper Zeon RS3-S (summer) or RS3-A (all season) check out http://cooperzeon.com/ and google Cooper Zeon for some information.

I just purchased a set of two 245/40-18 and two 275/35-18 Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires from treadepot.com

In my case I was looking for an all season tire. I realize you are looking for a summer tire so the RS3-S may be worth investigating to see if it meets your needs.

I considered the following:
  • Continential Extreme Contact DWS
  • Kumho Ecsta 4X
  • General G-Max AS03
  • Cooper Zeon RS3-A

I never heard of the Cooper Zeon until I started researching purchasing these tires. I liked what I saw and the price was super. I had the staggered set of four delivered from treadepot for $664 including shipping. I've got them mounted on the wheels waiting in my garage but I won't have the car for a few days.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Perfo...EON-RS3-S.aspx (for the summer version since that is what you are interested in).

Good luck. Lots of good tires to choose from!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Members

DW's all day!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by djinferno1
DW's all day!
the contis are hard to beat for a number of reasons...cost, warranty, grip, quiet. got the DWS all around on mine, replacing the crap GY RSAs. if your thinking the conti, check-out amazon.com, they do have some amazing deals with shipping included from time to time.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport, 6 Speed Auto, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, HUD, PCD, Navi, Logic 7, Fold Down Rear Seat, Sunshades, Rear DVD Headrests

Originally Posted by ssmokn
I'll throw out a different suggestion. Cooper Zeon RS3-S (summer) or RS3-A (all season) check out http://cooperzeon.com/ and google Cooper Zeon for some information.

I just purchased a set of two 245/40-18 and two 275/35-18 Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires from treadepot.com

In my case I was looking for an all season tire. I realize you are looking for a summer tire so the RS3-S may be worth investigating to see if it meets your needs.

I considered the following:
  • Continential Extreme Contact DWS
  • Kumho Ecsta 4X
  • General G-Max AS03
  • Cooper Zeon RS3-A

I never heard of the Cooper Zeon until I started researching purchasing these tires. I liked what I saw and the price was super. I had the staggered set of four delivered from treadepot for $664 including shipping. I've got them mounted on the wheels waiting in my garage but I won't have the car for a few days.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Perfo...EON-RS3-S.aspx (for the summer version since that is what you are interested in).

Good luck. Lots of good tires to choose from!
Just checked out the site. Cooper does not have a 285/30 or 275/30 available for the rears
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by djinferno1
DW's all day!
Thanks for the input djinferno1
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW535xia
the contis are hard to beat for a number of reasons...cost, warranty, grip, quiet. got the DWS all around on mine, replacing the crap GY RSAs. if your thinking the conti, check-out amazon.com, they do have some amazing deals with shipping included from time to time.
I think I'm leaning that way BMW535xia. What I save over the PS2's I can put toward my exhaust
Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Originally Posted by troc
Just checked out the site. Cooper does not have a 285/30 or 275/30 available for the rears
Well if they don't make the size you need it makes them very easy to rule out . I was just throwing them into the mix. If you told me two weeks ago I'd be buying Cooper tires I'd look at your crossed eyed. I have nothing against Cooper they just haven't really been on my radar screen in the past when looking for tires.

In my case they looked like a well regarded tire, had my size and the price was about $150ish cheaper for a set of four which made me give them a try.

I'll see how it goes. I used to be pretty much a Michelin only buyer but they have gotten so expensive and I've been less than impressed a couple of times. After trying alternatives I haven't been disappointed yet and I'm hoping that the Coopers work out as well as some of the other brands I have tried.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Michelin Pilot Super Sports - All other tires are just rubber. LOL!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Members

I am now on my second set of Continentals. Though the DW's offer slightly better summer traction, I chose to run the DWS model which is their four season tire in this high performance tire category. Unless you drive your BMW like a Porsche on a track, I defy you to tell the difference between the Summer and All Season tires for Summer useage. I will grant that pushed to their limits, the Summer tires will be slightly superior. However, the trade off is winter useage. The DWS's are the overall BEST four season tire I have ever run in the winter on any of my cars.. I also live in Chicago and the snow storms we experience are incredibly handled better by the DWS's than any other four season tire I have ever owned. So, I can run the same tire all year long. I have also been able to consistently get more than 30K miles out of the DWS tires.

If you are looking for the all out ultimate in a summer performance tire, then look at the Michelins. However, when you consider that the Continentals are about 35% less expensive, handle almost as well, and are a four season tire, well.....to me there is not really any comparison. We also forgot to mention that the DWS's are a more comfortable riding tire and are more quiet than the Michelin. Makes them hard to beat.

The only one area where I can tell a difference that would favor the Michelin's is on turn-in, where the response is more instantaneous with the Michelins. No doubt about that. But, is that one minor weakness enough to push you into buying two different sets of tires for year round driving.....at a premium of about 35%, and when you consider that the Michelins wear faster than the Continentals, the cost differential is actually much greater.

By the way, I run my tires on a 545 with the Sport Suspension that I drive fairly hard. Almost as hard as I do drive my 993 Porsche.

Quick Reply: Input needed on new tires!