E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Info on "True" Speed and RPM Readings Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='235974
I think we still differ on this one point.I don't think we need max rev's to get the best #'s in the 545.With 6 gears in the trans it is not necessary to rev to max.I know that your torque curve is accurate,but you must take into account what happens during a shift.As the shift starts timing is reduced which in turn reduces power & torque(I think a lot more than your graph shows).The timing comes back gradually after the shift until you are at full power again.If only we could get BMW to allow us to control our own shifting I think I could demonstrate this.I think I shift program to minimize the reduction in timing and allow control over the shift points would be the best modd to help the 545 step.
I agree on the mod idea. Given the engine's torque curve and the spreadsheets I sent you, then max is best in theory, but, on the other hand, if the torque is being messed with independently of what the curve implies, then max may not be best. I tried shifting manually, but when I was able to beat the Step to it by shifting about 6100, my times suffered dramatically. And, I agree if we could shift ourselves in the right area, then we ought to be able to figure out what is better. I definitely am going to try D, but first with all off.

I think you mentioned easing the throttle on using D. Aren't you starting in second then?

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='235974' date='Feb 6 2006, 10:08 PM
It goes without saying that none of the above will solve your power loss at the start.Obviously that is another problem,but I am sure you will solve it.
Yes, dealing with the Step is one thing, but the power loss is another. I am pretty pessimistic. I think I am gong to have trouble at my dealer's since there is no way they can actually demonstrate what has happened to my car, and I am concerned about utilizing my G-meter data at the next step--when things get official. Darn. I was having much fun.

I may have to start doing some mild modding on my Z06 to keep the fun alive. But, on the other hand, I am trying to keep from burning the DR's up through testing.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='236043
I think I am hitting the limiter at 6500 rpm.I think most rev limiters now are what they call soft limiters.they don't shut down suddenly but reduce power by reducing fuel flow and reducing timing.If you continue on the gas it will eventully hit the "boom".You may be doing yourself a disservice by holding the shifter forward.I believe there is a loss of power gradually as you get to the limit.I didn't say before but my shifts occur at about 6350 in D.
As mentioned above, I don't hit the limiter until about 6,700 RPM. Coversely, I never get the feeling I hit it letting the tranny shift by itself whether holding forward or not. There definitely is a loss in power as 6,500 RPM is approached as torque is decreasing at max is approached.

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='235974
It goes without saying that none of the above will solve your power loss at the start.Obviously that is another problem,but I am sure you will solve it.
Yes, dealing with the Step is one thing, but the power loss is another. I am pretty pessimistic. I think I am gong to have trouble at my dealer's since there is no way they can actually demonstrate what has happened to my car, and I am concerned about utilizing my G-meter data at the next step--when things get official. Darn. I was having much fun.

I may have to start doing some mild modding on my Z06 to keep the fun alive. But, on the other hand, I am trying to keep from burning the DR's up through testing.
[/quote]

I hope things work out better than you expect at the dealer.I know what you mean about hooking up the GT2 meter and showing them your problem.The BMW guru's probably won't appreciate the finer points of drag racing.

Beleive or not the step always starts in first in D unless you don't come to a complete stop.In manual mode you start in M2 unless you floor it immediately.And this is suposed to be the "performance mode"?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='236114' date='Feb 7 2006, 07:05 AM
Beleive or not the step always starts in first in D unless you don't come to a complete stop.In manual mode you start in M2 unless you floor it immediately.And this is suposed to be the "performance mode"?
"... the step always starts in first in D unless ...." Really? Are you sure? You are the only person I ever have heard make this statement. Mine doesn't do this. And, I always assumed that mine started in M1 in DS with or without flooring. I'll check. I seldomly am in DS without being in full manual mode.

I am back from my dealer. They started a Puma case before I arrived. BMW advised them to make sure all the engine diagnostics looked fine and to reset the computer again. After reset, it looked essenatilly as before. But, I accelerated from 0 to 60 and beyond on the way home many times in both D and DS--without thinking much about what I felt--to stay unbiased for a while. I will start accumulating some new numbers soon. We also took a test drive, and I demonstarted the early Step shifting; this info is being added to my Puma case.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Znod' post='236257
"... the step always starts in first in D unless ...." Really? Are you sure? You are the only person I ever have heard make this statement. Mine doesn't do this. And, I always assumed that mine started in M1 in DS with or without flooring. I'll check. I seldomly am in DS without being in full manual mode.

I agree, I have yet to find my D mode ever get into 1st at dead stop. I will have to double check even my DS (or D Sport) as I also am not positive (probably does).

I am back from my dealer. They started a Puma case before I arrived. BMW advised them to make sure all the engine diagnostics looked fine and to reset the computer again. After reset, it looked essenatilly as before. But, I accelerated from 0 to 60 and beyond on the way home many times in both D and DS--without thinking much about what I felt--to stay unbiased for a while. I will start accumulating some new numbers soon. We also took a test drive, and I demonstarted the early Step shifting; this info is being added to my Puma case.
[/quote]
Reset what? the Step software (EGS)? In your demo to service personnel, was this using all modes (D, DS and Manual) and taking it to or near redline in several gears? Asking as I want to get a feel for what BMW service thinks about how far they should go to check out "performance" related issues and how it relates to your expectations.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='236273' date='Feb 7 2006, 02:35 PM
Reset what? the Step software (EGS)? In your demo to service personnel, was this using all modes (D, DS and Manual) and taking it to or near redline in several gears? Asking as I want to get a feel for what BMW service thinks about how far they should go to check out "performance" related issues and how it relates to your expectations.
As best I can tell, they specifically did a reset on the "DME Engine management ME9." When we go out in my car, the shop manager typically drives. He didn't hesitate to start hard from dead stop and to go to redline--through at least 2nd. I was able to demonstrate that my car began shifting from 1-2 at 27-28 MPH and from 2-3 at 57-58 MPH--on the speedo--which I confirmed is fast by about 2 MPH. I wouldn't have expected more today.

And, when I went out with one of the shop foremen, he didn't hesitate to use brake torquing. I left my summary of before and after test results with the foreman so he could show the engineer--who he indicated wouldn't care that testing has been done. The shop manager mentioned talking with the foreman about my problem, but I don't know if the foreman showed the summary to the manager. I mentioned that I have done some g-meter testing to the manager. He didn't react in any way except to acknowledge what I said.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Members

cobradav: you're correct it is for the E90 RAD, and doesn't pertain to our discussion here.

Also here's something you might find helpful. SIB 62 02 96

"A certain amount of "speedometer advance" is necessary to compensate for negative tolerances in tire diameter, electronic controls, and other factors. This advance reduces the risk of the speedometer displaying a speed that is less than the vehicle's actual speed.

The amount of speedometer advance can be calculated by inputting a frequency (using the DIS Tester, "Kombi Test Schedule") that corresponds to a given speed and noting the speed that is indicated by the speedometer. The maximum permitted speedometer advance is 10% of the actual (input) speed plus 2.4 mph.

Example:

Actual Speed = 50 mph

50 mph x 10% = 5 mph; 5 mph + 2.4 mph = 7.4 mph

Therefore, the permissible displayed speed is 50 to 57.4 mph.

(Note: The displayed speed must never be less than the actual speed).

No repairs should be attempted if the speedometer advance is within 10% + 2.4 mph.

NOTE: The amount of speedometer advance has no effect on recording of accumulated mileage in the odometer display. The odometer records total mileage digitally and does not incorporate any "advance" tolerances."

So yeah BMW "pads" the speedo reading to account for variables.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Nice find Saint K.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='236366' date='Feb 7 2006, 04:47 PM
Nice find Saint K.
I agree.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='236257

[/quote]

I probably didn't make myself clear in previous post.My car always starts in first after a complete stop in D or DS.Only if I am in Manual mode and don't manually downshift and come to a complete stop. It then starts in M3 if I start in a normal non agressive manner.

I hope you have good results after your trip to the dealer.It would be nice if the reset solved your power problem.Looking forward to your times on the "new thread".
Old 02-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='23654' date='Feb 7 2006, 10:10 PM
I probably didn't make myself clear in previous post.My car always starts in first after a complete stop in D or DS.Only if I am in Manual mode and don't manually downshift and come to a complete stop. It then starts in M3 if I start in a normal non agressive manner.

I hope you have good results after your trip to the dealer.It would be nice if the reset solved your power problem.Looking forward to your times on the "new thread".
Thanks. My car does the same except it does not start in first in D without a full mash down. How about posting your post 20.01 data on the new thread? I am hoping you will be represented there ASAP. You're the man!

I would like, over time, for us to compare the points at which our trannies start shifting to 30 and 60 in both D and DS. So, maybe you could occassionally note these starting points. Thanks if you get around to it.

Quick Reply: Info on "True" Speed and RPM Readings Please