E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Impressions of new 530

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Hey Nick-------Practice what you preach.
vern
Old 01-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TBell' date='Jan 9 2005, 04:33 PM
Navigation

- The Navigation system gives some strange directions sometimes.? Some algorithm improvement would definitely be useful here.
- Why can?t the Navigation database be automatically updated via BMW Assist?? Here?s the concept: the navigation data is loaded into an internal hard drive onboard the car at the factory instead of existing on a DVD.? Every, say, 30 days, the car automatically calls BMW Assist and transmits the date of the last database update.? The network then transmits all database changes since the last update.
- Similarly, there should be a way users can tell BMW that a new road has opened so that BMW can update its database.? In my mind, there could be a ?Record Navigation Notes? feature.? If I?m driving along and I notice a new road has opened, I hit ?Record? and say something like ?The new Route 3 extension has opened?.? The GPS system appends where I am when I record the note.? The note is then broadcast to BMW Assist.? If more than, say, three users record the same note, whatever work is needed to update the database is initiated.

[snapback]77439[/snapback]
Good all round post.

The Navigation mapping data is owned and provided by Navtech, so it would be them you'd need to convince to provide over the air updates. I suspect this would require a much closer working relationship with BMW than is already there.

At the moment any system would probably need to use GPRS to do the data transfers, and that means about 4K/s transfer at best. (although in the future this may be a more credible option with 3G and Super3G) I'll bet that the way the map database is at the moment, it is impossible to do an incremental/differential update of the data, so you'd be looking at 3GB+ of data transfer at a very slow speed.

There is provision on the NavTech website for end users to report odd/missing/new data to NavTech. I have used it, and to their credit NavTech do investigate and reply promptly.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:54 AM

Spot on.

I would like the sat station control to be like the CD track listing. Definately needs more than 12 presets. There is way too much good programing on Sirrius.

One thing that bugs me, I like having the song and artist info displayed. To do that, you have to select the sat channel. If you idrive to another menu and come back to entertainment, it shows the station list or presets depending where you were. Then, to see the song title info, you must select the channel you are listening to, push down on the knob and select play. Then you get the track information. That should be automatic.

I love my 5. It is by far the best car I have ever owned.