E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

IMPORTANT for 2006 cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013
Thumbs down

On the E60/E61 and the E90/E91 with strat engine button you can start the car without the key!

BMW doesn't know how this could happen, but there is a software problem.

When you pull the key out, the settings are getting stored. This process lasts for 20-30 seconds. In this period you can start the car as if the key would be in. The key doesn't even need to be anywhere near the car...

This info is from another forum and got verified by different members there, aslo E90 drivers.

Just make sure that you don't let the car open when you jump out just for a second... Allways lock it, or someone who knows about can jump in and drive off...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Good catch Iceman.......
Old 11-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Cool! Now only if you can keep that feature on. Then theres no need to stick the key in. I like.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:47 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

This doesn't seem to work with keyless Comfort Access configuration (i.e., key not being inserted for Start/Stop - after the engine is stopped and once the key leaves the interior of the vehicle, the vehicle can not be restarted).
Old 11-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by das' post='194409' date='Nov 7 2005, 01:47 AM
This doesn't seem to work with keyless Comfort Access configuration (i.e., key not being inserted for Start/Stop - after the engine is stopped and once the key leaves the interior of the vehicle, the vehicle can not be restarted).
In the other forum they have discussed it and tried it on different cars. It seems that this works for cars with and without comfort access...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:54 PM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='194413
In the other forum they have discussed it and tried it on different cars. It seems that this works for cars with and without comfort access...
[/quote]

Right, but when you do *not* insert the key, this issue doesn't exist; in other words, if you use Comfort Access in the keyless mode and don't insert the fob into the steering column. Once you stop the engine and remove the fob from the interior of the vehicle, the vehicle can not be restarted. I verified this on Friday. And since most people with Comfort Access use the car in this configuration, it wouldn't be a problem for that subset of customers.

However, I do agree this is a serious vulnerability for 2006 (September production and newer) vehicles used with the fob in the conventional fashion. I'll confirm tomorrow whether post-Week 40 vehicles are still vulnerable.

If a car is hijacked using this method, it won't be able to be restarted (easily, anyway) once stopped.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='194401' date='Nov 6 2005, 04:35 PM
When you pull the key out, the settings are getting stored. This process lasts for 20-30 seconds. In this period you can start the car as if the key would be in. The key doesn't even need to be anywhere near the car...
But will it last? can you continue to drive it for an indefinite time?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:58 PM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='194415
But will it last? can you continue to drive it for an indefinite time?
[/quote]

Not sure how this vulnerability works (yet), but with Comfort Access, if the vehicle is running, and the fob is removed from the interior of the vehicle while the car is still running, it will stay running until stopped (though it does show a "no key" warning on the instrument cluster). It's reasonable to believe that with this issue *without* Comfort Access, the vehicle still may be able to be driven until the engine is stopped. I'll be happy to verify tomorrow if no one here has been able to yet...

Look at it this way: if this issue does indeed exist with all September production and newer E60s, it's a surefire way to get a free upgrade to CIP 20.x when it is released.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Tried this on my car last night and it works - started the car fine without the key. I will be calling BMW to see what they are going to do about it.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Cool info...

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT for 2006 cars