E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1051886' date='Nov 10 2009, 04:51 PM
i just bought a 2005 545i sport. lovely car... paid a mere $26K, was a lease return from a 60 yr old woman, has 34k on the clock, it is flawless, not a scratch anywhere inside or out. it has a 6 spd manual...the main reason i bought it.

unfortunately........i've been reading all the reported problems in this forum.

it handles the curvy roads of northern cali with ease. it handles as well or better than my 300zx twin turbo, which was a HUGE surprise. i guess it will continue to do that until all that active steering and suspension BS starts to go wrong. and how about that valvtronic hooey...how long until i need 4 cams 75 rockers, 2 new servos and 2 new heads???? at 75K...100K miles?

so now i'm afraid to drive it. i've had it for a week, put only 50 miles on it. i'm just so afraid that something will go wrong with it. i'm also aware that you can't even walk into a BMW service dept without having at least $1000 chunk taken out of your ass.

i almost worked up the courage to drive it to work today but decided to drive my stone cold reliable F250 diesel truck instead. tomorrow i'll either drive the truck again or ride one of my motorcycles.

i feel like this car is a dead albatross hanging around my neck (ancient mariner). i even cringe at the thought going into my garage b/c i will have to look at it.

my cd player shuffles for no reason when there is no CD in it. i've read here that can be a symptom of a bad battery..checked the voltage last night with a high quality instrument...says 12.12 volts....is that a low reading, i mean voltage is voltage right? it starts up with authority, doesn't seem like a bad battery would start it so well. the cd player has to be an omen of what is to come, this thing will haunt me forever.

now all i can do is regret the 26k that is no longer in my savings acct. maybe i don't have the guts to be a BMW owner and should just go back to driving a nissan.

this is buyers remorse and fear of german car gremlins all mixed together, i've never felt so bad after buying a car as this.

what the hell is wrong with me? WTF!!!!!!

comments please.
Just drive and smile.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Members

honestly, i have 82k on my 04 545i and i drive it hard i would say almost daily. manual shift it, get deep into rpm when i enter the freeway, speed, etc etc. i do the oil changes when its recommended (in my garage, i rarely take any car i own to the shop unless is major), i dont do anything extra and its it a great car.

most bmw engines are built to last, given proper maintenance. most problems do not stem from the long block itself, normally the items that go bad are accessories that probably will go out regardless if you drive it hard or not.

why get a nice car and not drive it the way its supposed to be driven? i drive all the cars ive owed to their potential and none of them ever broke down on me or gave me any problems. i have a 1990 325is that probably has 230k miles on it, original motor, that i redline when i use it to run around town. nothing has blown up on me

i dont drive my cars constantly at redline all the time, but i dont see anything wrong with working out the motor here and there.

i stand 100% behind bmw cars/motors, especially if you do the required maintenance...

go out and drive that thing....
Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Congratulations! drive it like you stole it
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Congratulations dude and don't worry too much. With the proper maintenance these cars are just as reliable as any cars out there including Lexus, Toyota, and Nissan. I have owned BMWs since 1997 and while I've had to shell out the occasional $1,000+, these types of repairs are so infrequent that I've actually spent less money on them in 12 years than the POS's I used to drive that broke down more frequently but averaging around $400-500 per repair. Enjoy your car and put a little cash aside every week for the eventual repair.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

You're over thinking this, don't worry so much! So long as you have a warranty, you should really just be driving the hell out of the car the way it was intended to be driven and enjoying every minute of it too! Good Luck!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

good lord man! get a backbone, get in that car, and show it some tough love.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Ah the good ol' buyer's remorse. I had that too when I bought my E46 M3 except I stretched myself thin finance wise and that car is very costly from a maintenance/repair standpoint. It seems like you're fine with money, especially if you had $26k in your savings to unload on a car.

At 34k miles, the car is just growing into it's prime. My 2005 545i has 70k on it and I drive it and love it! Still feels new. Sure there will be a few hiccups here and there but if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. Just be happy you don't have SMG and have to worry about replacing that sucker which I've seen fail anywhere from 20k-100k miles and costs $2-3k to fix. No 535i fuel pump/heating/turbo problems in your boat either. 6mt is golden for reliability. Get in, slam the pedal, and enjoy!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it baby.

Pick any car in the world and go to an active forum about that car. You'll feel like that car is a break down waiting to happen. Most people don't seek out forums too much unless they have a problem. The rest of just love talking about cars.

True repairs at a BMW dealership do get expensive. But remember a good independant repair shop can save you tons if you do run into problems. Overall the 545's have been solid. So don't worry.

On your CD issue I thought I read on one of the forums at one point in time that some one had there software updated and it caused issues with CD's skipping/giving disc errors(glitch in the software). They installed a newer version and problem was solved. But it could be just a bad CD player also. Voltage on these cars are very picky. If it doesn't get what it wants it shuts things down and you get all kinds of errors popping up. Chances are that is not what is causing your CD problems.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Look at it this way... its too late... you bought it. now just drive it and worry about it when it breaks.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

Are you for real, response? Some of these posts are becoming ridiculous. I question whether a 60 year old woman is driving a manual transmission. And, why the hell buy a BMW and not drive it? As someone said decades ago, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. I drive my 5 everywhere and love every minute of it and I am willing to pay for repairs as needed. I suggest you get a Corolla and turn on the ignition. A car is meant to be driven, especially a BMW.

Quick Reply: I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!