E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Illogical BMW "Break-in" Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 30 2005, 10:23 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Aug 30 2005, 08:58 PM']The E60 M5 has an oil change directly after initial break-in.
[snapback]165393[/snapback]
What type of oil does BMW recommend for the M5 break-ins? Why does BMW not recommend an oil change for V8 after break-in?

I sense seniority issues on this forum, possibly trying to limit one's right to question authorities (BMW), and a willingness to limit freedom of one's opinion. hmmm.

Regardless, if the admin feels that what I post is inappropriate to this forum, he/she should kick me off.

My intention is not to "bad mouth" BMW, but only hope that through dialogue, we all come to know more, and perhaps have BMW continue to built and education consumers better. It is only to BMW's disadvantage for them to ignore forums such as this.

Why in the world would I "bad mouth" a car I paid $60K+? I like my 05 545i. I'd rather sell than waste my time on this forum if my intentions were to "badmouth."
[snapback]165420[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry if it seems that the people who have been here a while seem quick to jump all over this - it's just that we've seen it many times before - I mean calling it deja vu would be kind. The same links and everything. The reality is that no matter what you do to the engine it will probably outlast the components you should be worrying about (computers, sensors, etc...)
Old 08-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 30 2005, 08:23 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Aug 30 2005, 08:58 PM']The E60 M5 has an oil change directly after initial break-in.
What type of oil does BMW recommend for the M5 break-ins? Why does BMW not recommend an oil change for V8 after break-in?

I sense seniority issues on this forum, possibly trying to limit one's right to question authorities (BMW), and a willingness to limit freedom of one's opinion. hmmm.

Regardless, if the admin feels that what I post is inappropriate to this forum, he/she should kick me off.

My intention is not to "bad mouth" BMW, but only hope that through dialogue, we all come to know more, and perhaps have BMW continue to built and education consumers better. It is only to BMW's disadvantage for them to ignore forums such as this.

Why in the world would I "bad mouth" a car I paid $60K+? I like my 05 545i. I'd rather sell than waste my time on this forum if my intentions were to "badmouth."
[/quote]

i say don't take it personally.

however, your post does come on strong about how bmw's break in procedure is bogus.

you have to expect crticism if you take a strong stand, especially if the supporting argument consists of words like 'street experts' and 'racing experts', then point to 2 websites that don't necessarily give a vote of confidence.

as far as bmw fanatics, dude, this IS a bmw board. of course you'll get flamed. but you have to agree though, that the arguments against your post DO make sense; not just blind posts designed to flip you off. e60 folks are just fanatics about their machines, hence the passion in some posts.

if you want to leave this forum, go ahead. i doubt it that the admins will kick you out for voicing an opinion.

like i said, nothing personal.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

This is an interesting post. I did the recommended break-in, but I don't know if it is absolutely necessary after the first few hundred miles.

I took three levels of BMW driver training, and the cars we used were 330's and M3's. The cars were brand new, and we really drove the shit out of them. I mean, I was red-lining them, doing understeer/ oversteer on a track, even doing fastest possible time tries, all with the cars with less than 400 km.

The instructors told me that after we are done with the cars in Driver Training, the cars are given new tires, spruced up, given a tune-up, etc. and then sold to the public as demonstrator models.

Now, if the engine break-in was that important, would BMW allow this?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Aug 31 2005, 12:54 AM
This is an interesting post.? I did the recommended break-in, but I don't know if it is absolutely necessary after the first few hundred miles.

I took three levels of BMW driver training, and the cars we used were 330's and M3's.? The cars were? brand new, and we really drove the shit out of them.? I mean, I was red-lining them, doing understeer/ oversteer on a track, even doing fastest possible time tries, all with the cars with less than 400 km.

The instructors told me that after we are done with the cars in Driver Training, the cars are given new tires, spruced up, given a tune-up, etc. and then sold to the public as demonstrator models.

Now, if the engine break-in was that important, would BMW allow this?
[snapback]165443[/snapback]
They allow it because they're not selling them as new, they're selling them as demonstrators. If you buy a demo, you're taking a risk that someone might have caused premature wear, etc. by not breaking it in properly. Many people will not buy a demo for this exact reason. If I were the type of person that kept a car longer than the factory warranty, I'd avoid demos too and only buy a new car where I could control the break-in procedure. (It's like a scratch and dent sale at the kitchen appliance store. You hope that the dented refrigerator will run without any problems but even with the dent and the lower price, many people won't buy one because of the risk of hidden damage...)

Also, Bimmer32, I hope you aren't taking anything I posted personally. You're entitled to your opinion and I voiced mine. That's what this place is all about.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

On the synthetic oil issue. Lots of "people" - maybe "experts" - recommend not putting sythetic oil in an engine until after break-in. The theory being that you want some friction in the engine to "allow" it to break-in. Synthetic oil, being so good at reducing wear, slows the break-in significantly.

If BMW did this then every one would have to come in at 1200 miles to change to synthetic. What a pain for the average user. What a cost to the service departments. You might learn to early that the service department of your BMW dealer sucks compared to your average Honda dealership. I suspect that convenience and cost might enter the equation here - and not just engineering issues.

Now - do they change the oil after the bench break-in and so they use synthetic oil then? In the end, all BMW engines will last way past the warranty period anyway (and frequently to 300k) so it doesn't really matter.....
Old 08-31-2005, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 30 2005, 09:23 PM

[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it. There is always room for intelligent people to disagree, or voice their opinions in a discussion. There are always opinions, and there are facts based on data or experience. Sometimes things get a little heated if people make particularly strong statements, especially if they state their opinion as a fact.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 30 2005, 11:23 PM
[/quote]
Bimmer 32, your initial post was subtitled: "BMW's break-in process is bogus." Pretty strong language for someone who has "no intentions to badmouth."

That language probably colored the responses many of us had to your questions.

Stream's sarcastic comment regarding "website ownership = expert status" was right on target. Many of us (myself included, at times) are far too credulous when in comes to what is printed in weblogs.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 30 2005, 10:23 PM

[/quote]
Don't worry about your posts!
I find them quite interesting...no one is goinf to kick u...rest assured! anyway it's good to bring into discussion things like those because we all might learn smth out of them even though some posts are quite strong.
Anyway it's good to have you on the forum!
So regarding my brake-in period...i just finished it 1975 km
Anyway i must say in the first 500km i tryed to be extra carefull with my car, not baby it but not passing 3500 3800rpm tops! But after that...i didn't carry to much about the brake-in! Of course i never exceded 160-170 km/h not even now! But i must say i had pushing it especially after 1500km quite good...sudden kick downs, red lined (a couple of times), drifts ( just a few) and so on. In the end i can say the fuel consumption dropped after just 300-400km! It's stabilised now and i think it won't drop any further!
Anyway buttom line is: you treat u'r car in anyway you want...but remember those cars are built to last even 400k miles! Especialy if it's a diesel...so no need to worry because in a way most of us will not keep the car that much time! I heard that the diesels if you treat them good could last even 1 milion kilometers! But who's gonna drive their car that much anyway?
Attached Thumbnails Illogical BMW "Break-in" Recommendation-p0015093_41074f56bebb6.jpg