E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

If you could tell BMW to change BLANK what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better lights like the AE's and more toys as standard!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

I think BMWNA needs to get serious about equipping their car with more options than other automakers. You don't have to go to an MB dealer and query whether Xenons are standard, so why should you do the same at BMW? The same goes for the technology in these cars -- Honda and Infiniti has better technology in their vehicles standard as opposed to BMW. Is it really worth the extra 10K in options or a more satisfied customer likely to always come back for more?

I would also ask them for better interiors in their vehicles. When you look at a Lexus or even an A6 - the interiors are luxurious and well appointed. The 3s and the entry 5s are more plastic than anything else on the inside.. Really, a BMW should be a BMW both on the inside and on the outside. Come on BMW.....it's not all about the drive after all!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='965472' date='Aug 4 2009, 01:49 PM
I think BMWNA needs to get serious about equipping their car with more options than other automakers. You don't have to go to an MB dealer and query whether Xenons are standard, so why should you do the same at BMW? The same goes for the technology in these cars -- Honda and Infiniti has better technology in their vehicles standard as opposed to BMW. Is it really worth the extra 10K in options or a more satisfied customer likely to always come back for more?

I would also ask them for better interiors in their vehicles. When you look at a Lexus or even an A6 - the interiors are luxurious and well appointed. The 3s and the entry 5s are more plastic than anything else on the inside.. Really, a BMW should be a BMW both on the inside and on the outside. Come on BMW.....it's not all about the drive after all!

+1 I actually very much like my interior, however, as I said above $10K more for options that are standard on the competition? C'mon BMW get with the program, we love the products but we will start looking elsewhere for the options we want - especially when they're standard.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 2007 E70 X5 3.0si 2001 E53 X5 3.0 (gone) 1997 E39 528i (gone)

Seems like most of everything in the car is digitally controlled now. From gas pedal response to how many doors are unlocked when you press the key. You can control some things through iDrive, but it'd be awesome to have a much more detailed options. So, instead of having to install Sprint Booster, you can adjust the responsiveness of the gas pedal through iDrive. Instead of having the turn signal blink only 3 times, you can set your own number. A wireless card to let you update the software through the Internet. Or even, remap the engine software to increase power or get better mileage.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Ian
Members

My Ride: 530D SE

Better reliability all round. How much of the price of a new car is actually BMW contingency on the grounds that most (am I exaggerating?) will be back under warranty requiring "free" parts and labour?

It's worrying wondering what might go wrong next.....
Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Three letters.. LSD
Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Like others said, some of the "optional" items should be standard. But, the most frustrating thing is when you obtain these items, they must be "programmed" to be recognized (and, of course, such programming aint free and can often add hundreds of dollars to the bill). Seriously, if I obtain a CD changer (or I-pod interface or freggin AUX jack) and plug the thing in, the default programming should recognize the hardware ID in the MOST-bus and enable the damned thing.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='965529' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:49 PM
Three letters.. LSD
+1. Currently exclusive only to M cars.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='965529' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:49 PM
Three letters.. LSD
+1

and/or ability to change iDrive screen pictures. Like using a pic of your city's skyline as the background in perepesctive view of the map instead of just generic blue sky with clouds. and while we are at it, when the automatic headlight sensor picks up a drop in ambient light and turns on the headlamps, change this picture to a night time picture. Hell, communicate these with the windsheild washer sensor, if the sensor picks up rain on the windsheild change the navigation background pic to a pic of your City in the rain....why stop now? incorporate the temperature sensor as well!!!

So what I would like is the ability to connect a flash drive with my own pics (of whatever) and have the ability to select pics for various screens in the iDrive menu. Instead of the monochrome BMW logo on startup, why not a nice pic of your car! this type of modding was a hack for the e39 navigation system!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

The interiors may not be luxurious and cushy, but they are elegant and well done and, after all, I didn't buy a Lexus or S class like every 70 year old doctor in my town. The seats may seem hard at first, but I do not get tired or stiff in them after long drives so I figure the company is doing something right. I do think that the leather feels kind of cheap and rough for a $60,000 car. At first I even thought the dealer was wrong about the car having a premium package with upgraded leather but I guess it's a German thing, utilitarian over fluff. Overall, I am satisfied with the car, inside and out, and find that it has enough optional equipment for me, but I would like the upgraded seating.
The lack of storage in general, and conveniently located storage in particular, is still an issue but it has made me neater and cleaner and less of a packrat.

Quick Reply: If you could tell BMW to change BLANK what would it be?