E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

If I knew it was gonna be this much fun.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

So my wife and I got her a 535 in May of '08. Came on here a bunch, and then when the newness wore off, I...you know.
Anyway, the thing popped a fuel pump prolly 4 or 5 months into ownership and stranded me. Screwy thing about it is, I never drive the fuggin thing..
Took it to the dealer, they fixed it, and we were on our merry way. Fast forward to May or June of this year, the fuggin fuel pump goes AGAIN, and again it does it while I'm driving it. Take it in, they fix it, and we're on our way. Two weeks later..guess what? This time I'm P.O.'d and I asked the service writer if they've updated the fuel pump, because while I'll understand one break-down for bad luck, two if you wanna push it...BUT THREE? There's a damn problem there. He explained that the first time they replaced the pump they actually DID install the 'updated' fuel pump. Great.... So about a week later, my wife's driving it, and while it doesn't go into limp mode(which is what it does when the fuel pump goes out), it doesn't have any power. Again...back to the dealer. They explain that a hose popped off the turbo, so a coupla days later we're back rolling again. Maybe a couple of weeks later my wife notices that it's idling rough again(symptom it displays before the fuel pump goes out completely), so I drive it trying to see if it's gonna go out again. It doesn't, but we know something's wrong, and this time I call BMW. Gotta say...not the brightest group. I spoke with a lady, who said she'd get back to me within a week. When she didn't I called her back. She wasn't in so I left a message with my name. She called me back and said she needed to look up my car by the last 6 of the vin, so I said I'd call her back. I called her back after the weekend, and the first thing she tells me is" I tried to call me back..but you gave me the wrong number".
I responded with "No...you did call me back and told me that you needed the last 6 of my vin, which is why I'm calling you". It's funny how she's programmed to spout off something that blames the customer before she even knows what's going on. Anyway, a couple of weeks later they call us and tell us to bring the car into the dealer. Their local rep was gonna stop in and look at it. They said that they were also gonna pay one of our payments. My wife takes it in and two weeks after that, they tell call us to say it's ready, and that they replaced all 6 of the injectors.
YEE-FREAKIN-HAW.
I'm kinda worried because being a big fan of diesels, I'm actually hoping BMW puts a diesel motor in the 5 by the time we pitch ours(5/10).
There's every reason in the world for me to toss the dealer the keyes, and get the heck outta there without looking back. For some reason I have the thought that with a diesel, the thing won't have any probs. This is simply based on the fact that I've had several diesel trucks, and although I've pumped up the power on all of them(the last one was a Chv 1-ton dually with a 6" lift, and 35" tires. It would do low 13's in the 1/4..no kidding), none of them had even the slightest of problems. That's a really stupid reason for thinking a BMW diesel won't repeatedly blow out it's high pressure fuel pump... or injectors...or...
Just thought I'd share
Old 09-14-2009, 03:16 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Good read, glad you got is sorted out....for now.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

das krazy brudda!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

HPFP. Uniting BMW drivers in hatred one anguished customer at a time.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

If I were in your position, I'd invoke the Lemon Law and give the car back and get a 550. 550 is not that much more than 535 and has no HPFP issues. And oh the sound of the V8 revving is magic.

Sorry to read of your troubles.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1006976' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:23 AM
If I were in your position, I'd invoke the Lemon Law and give the car back and get a 550. 550 is not that much more than 535 and has no HPFP issues. And oh the sound of the V8 revving is magic.

Sorry to read of your troubles.
+1

the 535 is a super car but after all that I'd tell em to keep the once months payment and get me a 550. The V8 is sweet.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Sorry to hear about your luck. I turned down an offer for a new 535 from my dealer, and went with a CPO 550 because of all the HPFP horror stories I read. I agree with the others, see if you can trade your 535 for a 550!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sleeper50' post='1007522' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. I turned down an offer for a new 535 from my dealer, and went with a CPO 550 because of all the HPFP horror stories I read. I agree with the others, see if you can trade your 535 for a 550!
+1

love that turbo, but all the posts about the 535 problems sold me to the 550.
That V8 power does make up for everyting!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

I noticed my car was idling bit rough when I was back at home. I would turn the car on and get out of it in the garage and listen and it would sound like something was rattling around inside of it. Hope the HPFP isn't about to give out. My dad is horrible with the Bimmer about keeping it up to date with maintenance since he drives his car.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='1006882' date='Sep 14 2009, 01:48 AM
So my wife and I got her a 535 in May of '08. Came on here a bunch, and then when the newness wore off, I...you know.
Anyway, the thing popped a fuel pump prolly 4 or 5 months into ownership and stranded me. Screwy thing about it is, I never drive the fuggin thing..
Took it to the dealer, they fixed it, and we were on our merry way. Fast forward to May or June of this year, the fuggin fuel pump goes AGAIN, and again it does it while I'm driving it. Take it in, they fix it, and we're on our way. Two weeks later..guess what? This time I'm P.O.'d and I asked the service writer if they've updated the fuel pump, because while I'll understand one break-down for bad luck, two if you wanna push it...BUT THREE? There's a damn problem there. He explained that the first time they replaced the pump they actually DID install the 'updated' fuel pump. Great.... So about a week later, my wife's driving it, and while it doesn't go into limp mode(which is what it does when the fuel pump goes out), it doesn't have any power. Again...back to the dealer. They explain that a hose popped off the turbo, so a coupla days later we're back rolling again. Maybe a couple of weeks later my wife notices that it's idling rough again(symptom it displays before the fuel pump goes out completely), so I drive it trying to see if it's gonna go out again. It doesn't, but we know something's wrong, and this time I call BMW. Gotta say...not the brightest group. I spoke with a lady, who said she'd get back to me within a week. When she didn't I called her back. She wasn't in so I left a message with my name. She called me back and said she needed to look up my car by the last 6 of the vin, so I said I'd call her back. I called her back after the weekend, and the first thing she tells me is" I tried to call me back..but you gave me the wrong number".
I responded with "No...you did call me back and told me that you needed the last 6 of my vin, which is why I'm calling you". It's funny how she's programmed to spout off something that blames the customer before she even knows what's going on. Anyway, a couple of weeks later they call us and tell us to bring the car into the dealer. Their local rep was gonna stop in and look at it. They said that they were also gonna pay one of our payments. My wife takes it in and two weeks after that, they tell call us to say it's ready, and that they replaced all 6 of the injectors.
YEE-FREAKIN-HAW.
I'm kinda worried because being a big fan of diesels, I'm actually hoping BMW puts a diesel motor in the 5 by the time we pitch ours(5/10).
There's every reason in the world for me to toss the dealer the keyes, and get the heck outta there without looking back. For some reason I have the thought that with a diesel, the thing won't have any probs. This is simply based on the fact that I've had several diesel trucks, and although I've pumped up the power on all of them(the last one was a Chv 1-ton dually with a 6" lift, and 35" tires. It would do low 13's in the 1/4..no kidding), none of them had even the slightest of problems. That's a really stupid reason for thinking a BMW diesel won't repeatedly blow out it's high pressure fuel pump... or injectors...or...
Just thought I'd share

*Wall of Text crits you for 9,000 damage.*

Quick Reply: If I knew it was gonna be this much fun.....