E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

If BMW asked you ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 2 2005, 09:22 PM
What do you think of the erased line version in my pic?
[snapback]178207[/snapback]
I can see where u are coming from but the shutline in itself doesn't bother me that much. It leaves the boot lid fairly big and smooth so giving a better view directly from the back with no lines to be seen.

It is the gaps in the shutlines that would bother me more. To me, that partially indicates the level and quality of the design and a confidence in the manufacturing ability to create closer gaps. I think the shutlines are TOO big at this level of car. Cheaper cars seem to be able to get closer tolerances. Look at the shutlines on a Lexus for example.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Sep 29 2005, 04:09 AM
I like the turn signals on the ORVMs; I wish all cars had them.

My idea is to provide XM radio as a factory option alternative to Sirius.? Also would like to have the active sound reduction system as in the Acura RL (but not replacing the existing soundproofing; just augmenting it).
[snapback]176889[/snapback]
I agree-- XM would be much preferred to Sirus. Also, they should make it standard on US shipped cars with 3 months of free service. They ought to be able to get XM to provide the radios for free in exchange for BMW bringing them all these potential subscribers....

My other desired features are:

A stereo upgrade that is in the $750 - $1000 range instead of $1,800-- that is a lot.

Raise the seatbelt sockets in the rear seats-- my kids have a hard time buckling them because they are below the seat line.

Cabin storage is very limited.

Gear indicator that shows which gear the AT is in on the dashboard.

Coolant temperature gauge.

On the sport package, I think it would be cool to have an dial that shows when and how much counterforce the active roll stabalization is applying on turns.

IPod connection and holder.

USB port to charge cellphone and other USB devices.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:14 PM
[quote name='MaxBuck' date='Sep 29 2005, 04:09 AM']I like the turn signals on the ORVMs; I wish all cars had them.

My idea is to provide XM radio as a factory option alternative to Sirius.? Also would like to have the active sound reduction system as in the Acura RL (but not replacing the existing soundproofing; just augmenting it).
I agree-- XM would be much preferred to Sirus. Also, they should make it standard on US shipped cars with 3 months of free service. They ought to be able to get XM to provide the radios for free in exchange for BMW bringing them all these potential subscribers....

A stereo upgrade that is in the $750 - $1000 range instead of $1,800-- that is a lot.

Raise the seatbelt sockets in the rear seats-- my kids have a hard time buckling them because they are below the seat line.

On the sport package, I think it would be cool to have an dial that shows when and how much counterforce the active roll stabalization is applying on turns.

[snapback]179423[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've had XM and now Sirius since I took delivery of my car. I got XM about 3.5 years ago. I've watched the programming get all muddied up on XM - they have three "alternative" stations that started out with clear charters to play songs within the subsections of the genre, and now they all play a mishmash of the same stuff from all over the place. Also, being in DC, XM plays nearly all trance on the electronica stations (DC in general has a heavy preference for trance) - again, there is supposed to be some form of distinction between the stations, but I can't find any. D&B is only really played for a two hour block in the middle of the afternoon - kinda sucks, I could never hear it. I like the fact that Sirius has kept the programming lines very separated, that way I can tune what I feel like listening to and get that content.

Also, don't count out Howard Stern. I wouldn't have gotten my current car without Sirius - Stern is going to be insane come Jan 1.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Oct 5 2005, 07:14 AM

Don't we have that already?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 4 2005, 10:59 PM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Oct 5 2005, 07:14 AM']

Don't we have that already?
[snapback]179574[/snapback]
[/quote]
I totally agree with the suggestion. We have it when in manual mode, but not otherwise. Darn. Seems like such an easy thing to have provided since the numbers are there anyway.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 4 2005, 04:44 PM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:14 PM'][quote name='MaxBuck' date='Sep 29 2005, 04:09 AM']I like the turn signals on the ORVMs; I wish all cars had them.

[/quote]

I've had XM and now Sirius since I took delivery of my car. I got XM about 3.5 years ago. I've watched the programming get all muddied up on XM - they have three "alternative" stations that started out with clear charters to play songs within the subsections of the genre, and now they all play a mishmash of the same stuff from all over the place. Also, being in DC, XM plays nearly all trance on the electronica stations (DC in general has a heavy preference for trance) - again, there is supposed to be some form of distinction between the stations, but I can't find any. D&B is only really played for a two hour block in the middle of the afternoon - kinda sucks, I could never hear it. I like the fact that Sirius has kept the programming lines very separated, that way I can tune what I feel like listening to and get that content.

Also, don't count out Howard Stern. I wouldn't have gotten my current car without Sirius - Stern is going to be insane come Jan 1.
[snapback]179463[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK- then sirrius it is! They just need to make it standard- no $500 charge which is ridiculous
Old 10-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I can certainly appreciate the point of view of those who prefer the Sirius program mix. My tastes run more to jazz, classical and blues music and comedy for talk (along with, of course, sports radio which both have in excess). So XM is better for me. I'd just like to have the choice.

ZinMe has a whole bunch of great ideas. I nominate him for next Corporate Executive VP of Options Offerings at BMW Worldwide!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Oct 5 2005, 01:33 PM
I can certainly appreciate the point of view of those who prefer the Sirius program mix.? My tastes run more to jazz, classical and blues music and comedy for talk (along with, of course, sports radio which both have in excess).? So XM is better for me.? I'd just like to have the choice.

ZinMe has a whole bunch of great ideas.? I nominate him for next Corporate Executive VP of Options Offerings at BMW Worldwide!
[snapback]179999[/snapback]
I can't argue with that! Thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Members

1. Useful cupholders.
2. More cabin room.
3. iPod ready.