E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i CPO
Model Year: 2004

Has anyone added a remote starter to their E60? What are some recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jayman098ma' date='Oct 4 2005, 10:12 PM
Has anyone added a remote starter to their E60? What are some recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
[snapback]179616[/snapback]
I've always wondered why people install these things. Is it for the "cool" factor? Because, at least to me, it really is not that much more convenient.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 5 2005, 01:20 PM
[quote name='jayman098ma' date='Oct 4 2005, 10:12 PM']Has anyone added a remote starter to their E60? What are some recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
[snapback]179616[/snapback]
I've always wondered why people install these things. Is it for the "cool" factor? Because, at least to me, it really is not that much more convenient.
[snapback]179618[/snapback]
[/quote]

Those are great if you leave in a really cold place like Canada. When your car is outside for the night you just press the button let the heat run a little then go clear the snow or if there are no snow, a warm car to get into is always welcoming.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Contributors

A few years back when I was into all this audio and electronic stuff, the best remote starters came from clifford or viper, but are pretty much the same.

They should only be done on automatics.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:32 AM
Contributors

Not on my e60. I dont think i want to use it on my e60.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

I don't think you can use a remote starter on the E60 because the car does not wake up till you unlock it, right? And if you unlock and start the car whilst you're some distance away, somebody else might make away with your prized possession.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

my dad had one on his rx300

he admits it (and i think so too) - just to show off.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

yes my friend has it on his E60 - but!!!!! of course he gets battery drain and I-drive problems because the wiring is damaged. Basicaly wheter it is a car alarm or whatever that it is installed to E60 the electronics and cables is messed up badly.

2nd I think it is show off only

3rd as someone suggested about having car warm in the winter - well how about getting remote and timer operated independent heating from BMW !!! I think Iceman has it for instance.....
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Actually if your car is equipped with remote starter if you try to put the car in gear without the key, the car will stall.

The selling point of the remote starter are in fact for people to start their car in cold places as I have suggested, at least in Canada when that product first came out as oppose to showing off. But I wouldn't get it because these devices mess up your cars electronics if the person installing it don't know how to do it properly, especially in a Bimmer.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

There are a couple problems with remote start in an #60:

1. Coded Driveaway Protection - As you know, your BMW key contains a microchip which enables the engine to start. If you want a remote start on the E60, you must install a key with the microchip somewhere in the dash near the steering wheel. Furthermore, this key will need to get recharged somehow. And, of course, this will enable a thief to simply hotwire the car, since the driveaway protection will be nullified with a key installed in the dash.

2. Brake Pedel - As you are also aware, to start a BMW one must press the brake pedal. This means that any remote start would have to tap into the brake wires in order to fool the car into thinking the brake is pressed. This is certainly possible, but another hassle for sure. (I had such a feature on my old Lexus where I installed an Alpine navigation system, so that I could operate the Nav while driving)

Quick Reply: Remote Starter