E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idrive works fine for me

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 22 2005, 05:03 PM
The bad reviews for Idrive are always done by people who drive the car for a brief period only....

My son who was 4 when I first got my 5 learnt how to use it in minutes?
[snapback]105244[/snapback]
I disagree completely re: "people who drive the car for a brief period only." Nearly every car magazine reporter who has trashed iDrive complains that they are unable to change radio stations without having to use iDrive ==> from this comment, it is clear to me that these "reporters" are intellectually challenged in a way that your 4 year old is not (I'm very surprised these "reporters" can tie their shoe laces in the morning, but perhaps they wear slip-ons or velcro sandals because it is too intellectually challenging for them to tie shoe laces).

The bottom line is that iDrive or any other technology that is not as simple to use as a push button will always generate complaints from these "reporters." In the end, they have already lost the battle re: iDrive and its imitators (Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes, etc.) because there is not enough "push button" space on the consoles of new vehicles to use all of the new technology. So, like it or not, these "reporters" better learn how to tie their shoe laces and use iDrive-like devices, or they will be driving 20 year old cars the rest of their lives.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wish I drive had more options e.g. different start up screens, electronic dials - water temp guage etc.
My 13 year old son dismissed the X3 on basis that it had no I drive.
Mark-Yorkshire
P.S. ISUK - I love my alu cube trim
Old 03-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Members

I've had my 545 for almost a year and I think iDrive is great. I've thought that since the 1st time I test drove a 5.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by bmwrules' date='Mar 22 2005, 07:26 PM
I've had my 545 for almost a year and I think iDrive is great.? I've thought that since the 1st time I test drove a 5.
[snapback]105297[/snapback]
I agree it's easy. The instant I was in the car for my test drive I was tuning radio stations and adjusting volume. If you've used a cell phone with a "joystick" it should be second-nature.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Contributors

Even though I'm not the most computer-literate person, I love I-Drive. Ergonomically, it's in a great location. I can keep my arm at rest while scrolling through any of the functions. It may not be perfect but it works for me!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I don't mind the i-drive, but I can see why some people do not like it. In fact, I've been in a friend's new STS and another's new GS430, and both of those vehicles make use of DVD/NAV touchscreens, which were a little niftier to use than i-drive. Having seen those, I would prefer the BMW to have the touchscreen rather than the i-drive, but it's not a big deal one way or another to me.
I have had a car with a touchscreen Nav. The iDrive screen is better, IMO. This is because the screen never needs cleaning. A touchscreen is constantly covered in fingerprints, and it drives me nuts.

Everything you need on the Nav is right there on your iDrive controller. You don't even have to lift your elbow off the armrest. It's the ultimate in laziness, and I love it..

I disagree completely re: "people who drive the car for a brief period only." Nearly every car magazine reporter who has trashed iDrive complains that they are unable to change radio stations without having to use iDrive ==> from this comment, it is clear to me that these "reporters" are intellectually challenged in a way that your 4 year old is not (I'm very surprised these "reporters" can tie their shoe laces in the morning, but perhaps they wear slip-ons or velcro sandals because it is too intellectually challenging for them to tie shoe laces).
Radio sucks in the USA.... period. If you live in the USA, and listen to the radio.... then that says it all right there. There is a CD player in the dash... use it.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Orient Blue/Beige interior 545i: Cold weather pkg, Nav system, Premium sound, Sport Pkg, satellite prep, 30% smoke tinted windows all around, waiting for my euro red reflectors and umbrella!

Having used the touch screen Nav system on my Lexus, and now using the i-drive, I like the i-drive. I was somewhat leary at first but after a week, it seems like second nature. I am learning the shortcuts to go between functions. Once in awhile I've caught myself reaching for the screen (old habits die hard)
Old 03-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Members

I too like the idrive a lot. Being able to customize so much of the car is a great benefit to the BMWs. I agree with the earlier statement that all of the cars are going to have to go to some type of interface since their will not be room for all of the buttons needed if everything was independent.

Having the knob in the center near the armrest is a big plus. Very easy to navigate while driving without having to look where you are reaching.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: 2000 Oriental Blue 528i, Steptronic, Beige Leather Interior Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, CD Changer Awaiting Delivery: 2005 530i, Titanium Gray with Black Leather, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, NAV, Xenon, SAT Radio, Aux Input, Euro Reflectors

I have had my 2005 E60 for a week. After driving my 2000 528 for 4+ years, I have no complaint about iDrive at all. It is easy and I already am starting to feel seemless with it. NAV works great (except for no RDS... ) Just wish I had more options. Plus, I got the list of the voice commands from this site (thank you forums!) and am working thru memorizing the important ones. I wonder if there are any easter egg voice commands that illict some crazy response.. I especially wonder since I changed the voice in my car to female
Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DIGISPY' date='Mar 23 2005, 01:06 AM
I especially wonder since I changed the voice in my car to female?
[snapback]105392[/snapback]
Is that something you were able to do yourself or something the dealer did?

Quick Reply: Idrive works fine for me