E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive - such a disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 01:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I presume that iDrive has been dumbed down becuase of the slagging off the 7er got when it was launched. The basic controls are OK, but the "configuration" of the car could be oh so much more interesting.

Why can't BMW supply the car with a basic menu structure, but be able to change it to an advanced menu, with many more options, for those who aren't technophobic. Many software packages do that. It's easy. Caters for both levels of users.

Once you realise that there's a computer to think about what to do with the car. Then who can't it do so much more. I'd like to write a list of things that the car should be able to do, and send to BMW. I'd be happy to be a "beta tester".

Anyone know what a 7er can do in iDrive, but a 5er can't (but should).

There's a lot of things I've noticed, and thought when driving along "iDrive should be able to do that".

I want to be able to change the lights switchon point, as they seem to be on ALL the time.

I would like seat heating to come on every time I start the car in the morning, when it's cold. Perhaps automatically whenever it's less than 5 degress outside (linked to the heating maybe)
Old 12-11-2004, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

Im pretty sure that the 7 has way more features. I was messing aroud with one in the the showroom and it had more features but it was so much MORE complicated and dificult to use.

It doesnt have a menu button. so when you have changed you have to keep pressing back.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:55 AM
Senior Members

Totally agree about the seat heaters and headlight sensitivity.

To be honest, I'd take IPOD control first. DVD playback 2nd. Better bluetooth interface - just fix the little annoyances.

One thing is sure - it will get better and better and it will be one of the things that draws us into new cars again and again - like new computers now.

Seamless internet access with email and not just voice recognition but true dictation capabilities. Not just list the closest restaurants but bring up their menus and order take-out on line with voice control. Streaming TV/movies for the kids in the back. All the technology is here - it just needs decent software.

The unfortunate thing is that all these things will not likely come to BMWs first. To get all the goodies, is going to take a higher volume manufacturer to come out with a relatively simple open architecture computer with user upgradable software. I suspect it will be Honda.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Dec 11 2004, 01:55 AM
One thing is sure - it will get better and better and it will be one of the things that draws us into new cars again and again - like new computers now.
[snapback]67784[/snapback]
very good point . and that's how they make more and more money .
Old 12-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

THey should program games into the i-drive. Then you could buy them and have the dealer install them or lead them through the CD drive