E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Idrive and Stereo Freeze :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by j0nblayz
i my idrive just crapped out also. Was working 100% then got my car tinted. Picked up my car and im not sure what they did, but as soon as i got in the car i got the SOS malfunction light, got no audio at all, also got a high battery drain error and a PDC malfunction error and my nav is restarting by itself... arggg... Owner of the tinting shop is willing to pay for the fix. I got an appointment this wed at the dealership, i realy wanna know what caused this issue.. my guess would be water got into some modules in the back or in the doors during the window tint. I saw couple threads where people had the same issues after tinting their windows, unfortunately there was no followup;s... also i tried the usual 3 button restart, battery pull... nothing.. anyone got ideas?
Yours is most likely battery related.Car doors open radio on, etc.. most likely battery died and or very weak.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea how to test battery other then getting a new one?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Pepboys, sears, most parts stores can do a load test on your battery.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Members

My 07 550i has been doing the same thing, will start car, can't do anything with Idrive, get SOS on the dash and BMW logo, no sound, drive knob spins freely and does nothing or it works but can't adjust the volume or radio for like 2-3 minutes. If I shut off the car, get out and lock it up to put it to sleep, and get back in sometimes that resets the Idrive and it works, other times have to just wait for it to reboot. I'll hear a popping noise, and then the screen flashes the logo, and eventually after 35-60 seconds it comes back and works. Happens at least once a week. I've had it in the dealer 4 times for this issue, have been told it was a software issue, a phone paired via bluetooth that wasn't supported (iphone not supported? Its in the manual) or that they can't repro, which is usually what they say. Going in tomorrow for some other warranty work, and I am going to complain, I've got video of it occurring that I want the SA to see. I would love for the Idrive to be replaced, is that even possible, is there a main module that can be replaced?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Members

I have a 2007 550i, and I have the exact same symptoms you describe below passta. Would like to know if you got to the root cause or not?

Originally Posted by passta
My 07 550i has been doing the same thing, will start car, can't do anything with Idrive, get SOS on the dash and BMW logo, no sound, drive knob spins freely and does nothing or it works but can't adjust the volume or radio for like 2-3 minutes. If I shut off the car, get out and lock it up to put it to sleep, and get back in sometimes that resets the Idrive and it works, other times have to just wait for it to reboot. I'll hear a popping noise, and then the screen flashes the logo, and eventually after 35-60 seconds it comes back and works. Happens at least once a week. I've had it in the dealer 4 times for this issue, have been told it was a software issue, a phone paired via bluetooth that wasn't supported (iphone not supported? Its in the manual) or that they can't repro, which is usually what they say. Going in tomorrow for some other warranty work, and I am going to complain, I've got video of it occurring that I want the SA to see. I would love for the Idrive to be replaced, is that even possible, is there a main module that can be replaced?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Members

Got mine fixed, was due to a bad tcu. Everything is now working again, they even updated my software and enabled bluetooth. Luckly my SA did a goodwill on my repair, ended up costing much cheaper then retail. Its nice to have a good relationship with your dealer.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i

Turns out it was my amp. Got a replacement and everything is fine now.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i

The dealership told me I would need to program it for 300 bucks! or it owuld not work. It was bullshit though, i just plugged it in and it works perfectly.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 bmw 530
Default 530i 2005

[QUOTE=j0nblayz;1278634]i my idrive just crapped out also. Was working 100% then got my car tinted. Picked up my car and im not sure what they did, but as soon as i got in the car i got the SOS malfunction light, got no audio at all, also got a high battery drain error and a PDC malfunction error and my nav is restarting by itself... arggg... Owner of the tinting shop is willing to pay for the fix. I got an appointment this wed at the dealership, i realy wanna know what caused

this issue.. my guess would be water got into some modules in the back or in the doors during the window tint. I saw couple threads where people had the same issues after tinting their windows, unfortunately there was no followup;s... also i tried the usual

Please did you find a solution to this problem? My idrive freezes indiscriminately with audio interruptions. Pls help if u can, it's driving me crazy and can't go to garage now..
Old 11-30-2016, 01:28 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

[QUOTE=Mwilliam;1581079]
Originally Posted by j0nblayz
i my idrive just crapped out also. Was working 100% then got my car tinted. Picked up my car and im not sure what they did, but as soon as i got in the car i got the SOS malfunction light, got no audio at all, also got a high battery drain error and a PDC malfunction error and my nav is restarting by itself... arggg... Owner of the tinting shop is willing to pay for the fix. I got an appointment this wed at the dealership, i realy wanna know what caused

this issue.. my guess would be water got into some modules in the back or in the doors during the window tint. I saw couple threads where people had the same issues after tinting their windows, unfortunately there was no followup;s... also i tried the usual

Please did you find a solution to this problem? My idrive freezes indiscriminately with audio interruptions. Pls help if u can, it's driving me crazy and can't go to garage now..
I just picked up my car from the dealership and I have similar issues. iDrive initially didn't work at all then started to work slowly but every once in a while the audio would cut out and return in about 30 seconds.

What should I tell the dealer to look for?