E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Settings resets itself?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i and '99 E46 328i

The iDrive in my 530i (non-navigation package) seems to "forget" changes to custom settings. For example, I have changed the HVAC flow settings (the menu with the 3 bars for upper, middle, lower circulation distribution) and when I shut off the car and start it back up it is back to what it originally was. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

does the bass/treble/balance/fader and radio station presets or manual mode remain intact, or do those reset as well? these are the problems with mine. i've posted the question here and at bimmerfest and nobody has ever heard of this.

my heater vent bias settings stay put. just the audio gets reset. it sure is a pita to have to adjust the bass and treble and use the radio presets every time i turn the car off. it does not forget the presets themselves just if i was in preset or manual tuning mode.

called the dealer in san jose, they've never heard of it, said i should bring it in for a software update, but no guarantees. just living with it for now.

Originally Posted by VTCMart
The iDrive in my 530i (non-navigation package) seems to "forget" changes to custom settings. For example, I have changed the HVAC flow settings (the menu with the 3 bars for upper, middle, lower circulation distribution) and when I shut off the car and start it back up it is back to what it originally was. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 550i Sport, SAT, MTech front and rear bumpers

Could be battery voltage fluctuations having to do with an aging battery that is on it's way out. Mine was doing same thing and that is what my dealer said. Going to have it checked out next week(earliest appt). Incidentally, I have a BMW motorcycle that had a similar thing happen. The battery died and threw an ABS fault code. Dealer reset the code 2x because it would not clear and he knew the ABS unit was good. Finally the code reset took and it's been fine ever since. Hmmmmmm!

wvcajun
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

i wish that the battery was my problem, put a DAQ on it and recorded the battery voltage overnight, never got below 12.2 volts.

http://www.mccdaq.com/usb-data-acqui...08-Series.aspx

i use these devices at work for many types of measurements, took one home over the weekend a while back and logged the voltage at the battery terminal, not downstream of the IBS..... maybe the IBS is the culprit?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Members

First, are you sure that you're using the same key fob each time? Many of the settings are tied to the key that you're using when you program those functions. I'm guessing you know this, but . . .

I did have some similar problems with my Nav/Sound system, and I suppose it's all tied together since these cars are one big rolling computer. After trying reprogramming and replacing a couple of components, the technician found that jiggling one of the connector cables produced an intermittent failure, causing my Nav to malfunction and the stereo to lose its presets. Replacement of the faulty cable cured these problems. Worth checking.