E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Idrive Professional

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='May 6 2005, 12:53 PM
whats the rush Merv ????? dont you diesel drivers have to wait 20 minutes at idle for some plugs or something to warm up in the engine before you can move off ??? ? ? or has that changed now in them diesels??? ?

seriously though i have noticed pro nav is slightly slower than my old bus nav setup, pdc display comes up slowly by which time i've normally moved off the drive, but the beeps are their instantly. i put the slowness down to the "fancier" graphics etc etc...

calculating routes does take a bit longer but i put that down to the time it takes to search that DVD and check TMC etc etc etc.....overall it takes a few seconds longer but the routes are always spot on.

the voice of the sat nav women is more abrupt like you say but quite precise with the directions, i just keep expecting her to say things like "at the next exit turn left, like i care or give a sh-t you..."?
[snapback]125001[/snapback]
NM,

Spot on! Not only do you have to wait for the glow plugs to warm up but Idrive also has to clear the straw from the airfilter and blow excess manure from the exhaust.

I appreciate the pro is more complex than the bus hence the wait, but now I know its a std thing thats fine.

Wonder when we're going to get real weather situations and time of day on the birdseye view screen? Sun, clouds, moon at night etc. Perhaps a few software upgrades later.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 6 2005, 10:55 PM
Wonder when we're going to get real weather situations and time of day on the birdseye view screen? Sun, clouds, moon at night etc. Perhaps a few software upgrades later.
[snapback]125103[/snapback]
They could wire it into the rain sensor so when it rains and the wipers come on, the NAV screen shows it raining too
Old 05-07-2005, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

I had business nav in my E60 and have pro nav in my E90. I have to say that the pro nav in the E90 is every bit as fast as the system I had in my E60. I can't understand why it is slower in the E60??
Old 05-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='May 7 2005, 01:12 PM
I had business nav in my E60 and have pro nav in my E90. I have to say that the pro nav in the E90 is every bit as fast as the system I had in my E60. I can't understand why it is slower in the E60??
[snapback]125346[/snapback]
That's an interesting point. I confirm Merv's impression that the PRO NAV equipped cars are slower than the BUSNAV ones, and that's in all menus, not only during navigation. Accortding to me the major difference is at the start of the system, after that the difference is not so great (but clearly noticeable).

So, you say that on your E90 there's no difference at all: why? Is the new 3er using a more advanced system or software? Anybody knows?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You have to assume that progress was made in the 3 series but it's hard to say if they accomplished the increase in responsivenes by using things like faster processors or more efficient software.

Also, there's a possibility that the system is less complex or less advanced. Maybe it's a combination of all of the above?...
Old 05-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

Rudy,

The functionality of the pro nav in the new 3 is identical to the E60's. Apart from a very slight delay on start up it works just as fast as my business nav did. One thing I have found is that it is is better to start the car quickly as this makes the i-drive screen boot up faster. This is probably a quirk of the E90 as you have to insert the key then press the starter button. I was getting in the car, putting the key in the ignition to switch it on then putting my safety belt on before pressing the start button. This allowed the screen to boot up but it then fades as you start the engine. I've found it is better to switch the engine on straight away.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='May 7 2005, 09:26 AM
Rudy,

The functionality of the pro nav in the new 3 is identical to the E60's. Apart from a very slight delay on start up it works just as fast as my business nav did. One thing I have found is that it is is better to start the car quickly as this makes the i-drvie screen boot up faster. This is probably a quirk of the E90 as you have to insert the key then press the starter button. I was getting in the car, putting the key in the ignition to switch it on then putting my safety belt on before pressing the start button. This allowed the screen to boot up but it then fades as you start the engine. I've found it is better to switch the engine on straight away.
[snapback]125415[/snapback]
Very interesting observation ISUK. Since my installation of CIP 16.1 I have found a remarkable improvement in the performance of I-Drive. I also found the same thing with my E60. When I get in the car and start the engine, the system boots up right away. When I put the key in the ignition in position 2, the old boot up times are back.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 6 2005, 12:13 AM
I was so looking forward to having the big screen version of Idrive, but what a let down! Its sooooooooo sloooooow it seems to be in slow motion or running windows 95! Every function is slow. My old small screen system responded instantly. The business sat nav could calculate a route within 5 seconds whereas the pro seems to take 10 times longer, even if I just ask it to navigate me to the end of my road it takes an age. I know it has a map but whats the problem? Also the previous lady was so polite and had a great sexy voice. The new abrupt robotic lady couldn't give a sh*t if I turned left or right, she never says please! When you reverse off your driveway after starting the car it still says BMW on the screen and seems to take an age for the PDC pictogram to turn up. BT is slow too! I programmed the diamond button on the steering wheel to flash up my a-z list of contacts but It would be quicker to use a telephone directory.

Is it working properly or do I need a a software upgrade bearing in mind the car was only delivered recently?

Does the system work slower when linked with ex voice control?

Any advise would be great.
[snapback]124611[/snapback]
Merv, you've made feel that i made the right choice by getting buisness nav

Personally i feel the map is not a big advantage having driven an E60 with Pro nav.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

Trust me, the map is a HUGE advantage. If you leave the split screen view on showing the 3d map view in the smaller screen, even if you are not using the nav, the TMC system shows traffic hold ups ahead on your chosen current road. This feature is extremely useful. If there is heavy traffic it shows a long line of blue arrow heads in the direction of travel of the congested traffic. This feature has saved me considerable delays on several occasions now.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Merv, the Italian language version keeps the same very natural and very charming girl's voice of the Business version. So, you've the solution: select Italian language!