E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idrive Professional

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto
Smile

I was so looking forward to having the big screen version of Idrive, but what a let down! Its sooooooooo sloooooow it seems to be in slow motion or running windows 95! Every function is slow. My old small screen system responded instantly. The business sat nav could calculate a route within 5 seconds whereas the pro seems to take 10 times longer, even if I just ask it to navigate me to the end of my road it takes an age. I know it has a map but whats the problem? Also the previous lady was so polite and had a great sexy voice. The new abrupt robotic lady couldn't give a sh*t if I turned left or right, she never says please! When you reverse off your driveway after starting the car it still says BMW on the screen and seems to take an age for the PDC pictogram to turn up. BT is slow too! I programmed the diamond button on the steering wheel to flash up my a-z list of contacts but It would be quicker to use a telephone directory.

Is it working properly or do I need a a software upgrade bearing in mind the car was only delivered recently?

Does the system work slower when linked with ex voice control?

Any advise would be great.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

Merv,

Maybe a cup or 2 less coffee would be helpful . It is a bit slow, but it is thinking very thoroughly in the process.

Maybe you should post some times for the basic steps and then we could compare our experiences with you as well.

I have some difficulties when trying to select a telephone number to dial since the dial moves in delayed motion.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='May 5 2005, 06:17 PM
Merv,

Maybe a cup or 2 less coffee would be helpful? . It is a bit slow, but it is thinking very thoroughly in the process.

Maybe you should post some times for the basic steps and then we could compare our experiences with you as well.

I have some difficulties when trying to select a telephone number to dial since the dial moves in delayed motion.
[snapback]124612[/snapback]
Ok its sounds like its working ok then! mmmmm coffee. I'll post some times. Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Its working fine. I have CIP 16.1 and have the same issues as you. Its just that you are going from the instant bus nav with the small screen and I am going from CIP 13.3 which was 10 times slower.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

At startup the issue with the PDC not showing up immediately is disconcerting as well for me, but AFAIK the audible part is there from the start.

I just had 16.3 installed, it's not blazing fast, but surefooted and until now seems reliable.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' date='May 6 2005, 03:07 AM
At startup the issue with the PDC not showing up immediately is disconcerting as well for me, but AFAIK the audible part is there from the start.

I just had 16.3 installed, it's not blazing fast, but surefooted and until now seems reliable.
[snapback]124776[/snapback]
You say you now have 16.3, should I have the same? Is 16.3 the latest version?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 6 2005, 10:49 AM
[quote name='andy545' date='May 6 2005, 03:07 AM']At startup the issue with the PDC not showing up immediately is disconcerting as well for me, but AFAIK the audible part is there from the start.

[snapback]124776[/snapback]
You say you now have 16.3, should I have the same? Is 16.3 the latest version?
[snapback]124783[/snapback]
[/quote]

According to my dealer, yes.
I asked him to confirm that he meant 16.2, but he replied 16.3....
Old 05-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 6 2005, 12:13 AM
I was so looking forward to having the big screen version of Idrive, but what a let down! Its sooooooooo sloooooow it seems to be in slow motion or running windows 95! Every function is slow. My old small screen system responded instantly. The business sat nav could calculate a route within 5 seconds whereas the pro seems to take 10 times longer, even if I just ask it to navigate me to the end of my road it takes an age. I know it has a map but whats the problem? Also the previous lady was so polite and had a great sexy voice. The new abrupt robotic lady couldn't give a sh*t if I turned left or right, she never says please! When you reverse off your driveway after starting the car it still says BMW on the screen and seems to take an age for the PDC pictogram to turn up. BT is slow too! I programmed the diamond button on the steering wheel to flash up my a-z list of contacts but It would be quicker to use a telephone directory.

Is it working properly or do I need a a software upgrade bearing in mind the car was only delivered recently?

Does the system work slower when linked with ex voice control?

Any advise would be great.
[snapback]124611[/snapback]
You're right. The buss nav lady is much friendly. (i also liked more her voice)

BTW funny to know: my dads nav is fliping whole week. Sometimes its load the dusplay and fel then away and back load. Sometimes we have to wait a min. This week we where also if you can believe the nav map in the sea behind Sweden. ( actually we where just in Belgium !
Its not funny anymore...
Old 05-06-2005, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Merv, it sounds like the car is working as well as any of ours is at this point...

I think someone here (Iceman, maybe?) posted that they are working on a software fix to speed up the CCC based iDrive and it's responsiveness.

Not sure what version though -- maybe the one in September that is to include MP3?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

whats the rush Merv ????? dont you diesel drivers have to wait 20 minutes at idle for some plugs or something to warm up in the engine before you can move off ??? or has that changed now in them diesels???

seriously though i have noticed pro nav is slightly slower than my old bus nav setup, pdc display comes up slowly by which time i've normally moved off the drive, but the beeps are their instantly. i put the slowness down to the "fancier" graphics etc etc...

calculating routes does take a bit longer but i put that down to the time it takes to search that DVD and check TMC etc etc etc.....overall it takes a few seconds longer but the routes are always spot on.

the voice of the sat nav women is more abrupt like you say but quite precise with the directions, i just keep expecting her to say things like "at the next exit turn left, like i care or give a sh-t you..."

Quick Reply: Idrive Professional