E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iDrive problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 AM
ABK
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody,

It's my first post here so I would like to say "hello" to everybody. I do have a problem from sometime with the iDrive in my E60 530i (non LCI). I have a Business navigation (small screen size) and especially during hot summers while driving, the iDrive simply freeze together with the music of course. Sometimes it just stayed like this for seconds or minutes. This was like 2 years ago.
Now I have another problem. Out of a sudden the Bluetooth function(I was using it to pair my iPhone so I would benefit from built in hands-free)can't be activated anymore from the menu. I simply push the iDrive button but the Bluetooth tick box doesn't check. Few weeks later, when I start the engine it required me the navigation DVD although I am not using it at all. Also I hear my CD changer in the glove box searching for CD-s although I have none inserted there. OK, I have inserted the navigation DVD (original that came with the car) just to make the check and the message disappears but after I take it out and at my next car restart the message is there again. Also, when I start the car in the morning, for a few seconds the music cuts out for few seconds than comes back again and the screen freezes. I have tried to reset it manually by pushing for a few seconds the volume and the eject buttons. At some point the screen died out and then came back again but it kept doing this for few times. Than it stabilizes and start working ok.
I am guessing that all these are interconnected somehow but I am not sure. I am really afraid that my CCC is going to die. At the BMW Service they say that this might be the cause and a soft upgrade might be dangerous in order not to crash it for good and/or other problems to appear.
Based on your experience, what do you recommend to check out?
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Members

Open the trunk, left hand side behind the panelling you will find the mulf unit for bluetooth. It's a long silver Box bolted vertically.

Disconnect it and see if the audio navigation functions work, you will lose the multi changer but radio should be fine.

The mulf can overheat and fail with those symptoms.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 AM
ABK
Members

I will check it out this week and see how it turns out.
Originally Posted by CHR15
Open the trunk, left hand side behind the panelling you will find the mulf unit for bluetooth. It's a long silver Box bolted vertically.

Disconnect it and see if the audio navigation functions work, you will lose the multi changer but radio should be fine.

The mulf can overheat and fail with those symptoms.