E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iDrive not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help. My screen is black and nothting happens no matter what I do. I've checked the fuses (didn't look for a main relay). Also, when I start my car I get an "SOS" with a phone image and slash through it. I get nothing on my screen, not even a flicker. I drove to work and everything worked fine, 12 hours later nothing. I didn't even here the click/pop from overheating audio system on the way in. Other than the fuses, I have no idea what to check. I know it's a limited description of the problem, but does anyone have any ideas.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Check your trunk for leaked water.

1) Open the trunk
2) Lift the trunk floor up
3) If you have a spare wheel, remove it
4) There's a micro power module which could be broken if water has leaked into the spare wheel well

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/88/47

- Antti -

ps. Sure it can be something else too. How old is your battery?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Check your trunk for leaked water.

1) Open the trunk
2) Lift the trunk floor up
3) If you have a spare wheel, remove it
4) There's a micro power module which could be broken if water has leaked into the spare wheel well

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/88/47

- Antti -

ps. Sure it can be something else too. How old is your battery?
Thanks, I'll check that. I did look around when I checked the fuse and didn't notice any moisture in the trunk area, I'll check it later. I don't know how old the battery is. It's the same battery that was in the car when I bought it two years ago.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Contributors

A bad battery can inflict some strange problems in these cars. If you can not find any moisture in the trunk, try these:

- Disconnect the battery minus cable, let the car stand for 30 mins or so, reconnect the cable and check the idrive (this is kind of a reset).
- Go to a dealer or an individual and try with a new battery. If it works, buy a new battery, but not from a dealer because they will charge you heavily by doing some unnecessary coding stuff (this is discussed widely on our forum).
- Or try charging your battery with a trickle charger for example
- When at the dealer/individual, get the error codes read. If there is something related to idrive or its components, it still can be caused by a bad battery

- Antti -
Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

If it's the OEM battery, the MFG date is stamped on top of the negative terminal as the week number and year (01, 04 means the battery was made in the first week of 2004).
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Members

Thanks for the info. I'll try it. Worst case scenario, how much does a new M-ASK/CCC cost.

John
Old 07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Members

Dealer sells it around $850. But the actual price of repair in case if CCC is out, will be much higher due to the coding of newly installed CCC. I have very similar symptoms and will try the independent shop to fix it.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
A bad battery can inflict some strange problems in these cars. If you can not find any moisture in the trunk, try these:

- Disconnect the battery minus cable, let the car stand for 30 mins or so, reconnect the cable and check the idrive (this is kind of a reset).
- Go to a dealer or an individual and try with a new battery. If it works, buy a new battery, but not from a dealer because they will charge you heavily by doing some unnecessary coding stuff (this is discussed widely on our forum).
- Or try charging your battery with a trickle charger for example
- When at the dealer/individual, get the error codes read. If there is something related to idrive or its components, it still can be caused by a bad battery

- Antti -
I did this and it helped for about 10 min then it was out again. I guess the positive is that it is most likely not the M-ASK/CCC. The battery is dated Apr 2007 (14 07). I have not had a chance to check under the spare.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ninerfan
I did this and it helped for about 10 min then it was out again. I guess the positive is that it is most likely not the M-ASK/CCC. The battery is dated Apr 2007 (14 07). I have not had a chance to check under the spare.
Then it's probably a bad battery.

- Antti -