E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Knob

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Hi,

I picked up a 2004 545i last week and couple of things I noticed and need help with:

1. When I go the Address Book of the Nav and start to rotate the Knob down to pickup a name, typically it shows five names at a time and then you have to scroll down for more. Once I try to scroll down after the fifth name, the knob starts to push back and you but eventually will take you down to the next five names. The samething happens when you try to go back up. Is this normal? The dealer tells me that all cars with iDrive do this.

2. When I picked the car for the first three days if the radio or cd is on and I'm getting voice directions from the NAV, the NAV would lower the volume of the radio or cd and give directions then bring it back to normal which is great. This moring it's like someone changed something on me, if the radio or cd on as soon as the voice nav comes on it cuts the radio or cd completely gives the direction then brings the radio or cd back to it's original stage. How can I configure the system to lower the radio or cd instead of cutting it off? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='547021' date='Mar 18 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I picked up a 2004 545i last week and couple of things I noticed and need help with:

1. When I go the Address Book of the Nav and start to rotate the Knob down to pickup a name, typically it shows five names at a time and then you have to scroll down for more. Once I try to scroll down after the fifth name, the knob starts to push back and you but eventually will take you down to the next five names. The samething happens when you try to go back up. Is this normal? The dealer tells me that all cars with iDrive do this.

2. When I picked the car for the first three days if the radio or cd is on and I'm getting voice directions from the NAV, the NAV would lower the volume of the radio or cd and give directions then bring it back to normal which is great. This moring it's like someone changed something on me, if the radio or cd on as soon as the voice nav comes on it cuts the radio or cd completely gives the direction then brings the radio or cd back to it's original stage. How can I configure the system to lower the radio or cd instead of cutting it off? Thanks.
1) Yes, the force feedback is normal on a 2004 545. It has been discontinued in later models...

2) On my 550, it has always cut off the radio/CD/iPod, so I can't really help. Did you switch keys? Maybe it is a setting saved to the key and you are using the other key.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

No I did not switch any keys.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='547035' date='Mar 18 2008, 02:11 PM
1) Yes, the force feedback is normal on a 2004 545. It has been discontinued in later models...

2) On my 550, it has always cut off the radio/CD/iPod, so I can't really help. Did you switch keys? Maybe it is a setting saved to the key and you are using the other key.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

The cutting out is a question of the volume setting. This is tricky but it is lowering the volume even though it appears to be cutting it out completely. You might have to raise the volume while the system is actually speaking to you.