E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Failure: Advice / Personal Experiences Required

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by gpt' post='429495' date='May 29 2007, 08:24 PM
Hmmm... I just updated to 25.xx.xx and had the same problem yesterday, had never had an issue before. The sad part was that I had someone in the car for his first time, allegedly showing him how cool the car was. I'm not sure he was totally impressed to the point he will run out and buy one.
When mine first crashed I had my father-in-law in the car for only the second time and had just been banging on about how good the car is - I felt pretty stupid afterwards so know exactly what you mean.

It is interesting that the common theme here seems to be v25! I'll have to wait and have the Control Unit changed and see if that does cure my problem.
Are you taking yours back to your dealers?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

There are more than one CCC - Nav, Audio, VR - to name but three and there are more. Any one of which could cause issues. Once the diagnostic/upgrade system detects a failure mode, they cannot continue the upgrade process until hardware is fixed. Even with car delivered at same level the dealer has in hand they are trying to "recode" the car to get it to function properly. That works unless it is a true hardware issue.

Have there been pure software issues getting PROGMAN to load - YES. at least two other versions had issues (19.xx and 24.xx) These may have had some workarounds (19.xx) but some did not (24.00.00 and .00.01) and simply had to use a higher level software version that had the bugs worked out.

25.02 is the most recent version
Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 650i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Logic7 sound system, ARS, PDC

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='429509' date='May 29 2007, 02:54 PM
When mine first crashed I had my father-in-law in the car for only the second time and had just been banging on about how good the car is - I felt pretty stupid afterwards so know exactly what you mean.

It is interesting that the common theme here seems to be v25! I'll have to wait and have the Control Unit changed and see if that does cure my problem.
Are you taking yours back to your dealers?
First, please see this thread (Another I-Drive Screen Problem), my cousin who has reservations about BMW electricals came in from London and after extensive bragging about how improved BMWs were etc and how he should get one instead of the new c-class, we got into my car and ofcourse.....the i-drive did not work. I just played it off like i switched off the screen but he kept asking me to play some music.... u know the rest. I have also noticed that this happens whenever i fill up my gas tank and then try to start up again.....has this happened to anyone else?

This issue started after the V25 update and I have been to the dealership 3 times now (back to back) regarding this same issue and they have kept my car for long periods but it is still failing, i am just tired of going there as i am now a regular, i will just wait until there is a proven permanent fix. My brakes still squeal although the dealer says they fixed the sensor, replaced pads and brakes under the recall campaign. The best part about this summer is whenever i pull up to valet the car at outdoor restaurants, people always turn around to look but not to admire the car but to wonder why such a hot new car would have obnoxiously loud squealing brakes... :thumbsdown:

But...whatever....I LOVE THIS CAR....
Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Members

My Ride: [s]07 E60 535d LCI.Silver.172.Hifi.Ipod.Rear Tints.M Spoiler.[/s] 07 B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red 54 E87 120d Sport Sparkling Graphite

Palmo,

I'll give Robert Stern BMW in worcester a call today to make an appointment for their service folks to run a diag against the car. I'd agree with you that it doesn't look like a terribly smart "option" to buy the Sat Nav when it crashes (also has a magical mystery tour option too but that's really OT) and the fact its a ?2k upgrade when a tomtom is a 10th of the price!

Luckily took a photo when the idrive crashed (in france)

OT: It drives very well, sporty but comfortable. Engine is tight and only returning 37.6mpg (except I calculate nearer 39mpg) according to onboard computer. It drank 0.5 litre of oil in 1500 miles. Its booked for a superchips remap in July.

If you travelling to/thro Limousin be careful with your speed. A lot of police bikes/cars and pursuit cars (Blue subarus) - even more than previous years.

Ed
Old 06-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d Touring, pro nav, Logic7, leather, 18 inch, steptronic

On my LCI several times the idrive "froze" trying to access to the usb storage drive.

The screen shows the AUX input, but on backround the FM radio plays, no way to change source or even the radio station.

It randomly recovers after disconnecting the key...
Old 06-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525dA

Originally Posted by dubbers' post='429446' date='May 29 2007, 08:20 PM
Was bitterly disappointed that i-Drive crashes and there was no easy way to reboot the system (where's control-alt-delete??). Like you I may venture to the dealer to see what he can do, but I might first harrang my contacts on BMW UK first.
With navi-pro you can reboot the system

Press mutte + CD eject + DVD(navi) eject button all at the same time for a few seconds.

I have a radio problem (sometimes there is no sound) and I use this to reboot the system. The radio then works.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Touring, pro nav, Logic7, leather, 18 inch, steptronic

Originally Posted by Carterena' post='434454' date='Jun 11 2007, 12:33 PM
With navi-pro you can reboot the system

Press mutte + CD eject + DVD(navi) eject button all at the same time for a few seconds.

I have a radio problem (sometimes there is no sound) and I use this to reboot the system. The radio then works.
Are you jocking? really you can reboot with Mute+cd eject+dvd eject??????????
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by Rutto' post='434517' date='Jun 11 2007, 04:09 PM
Are you jocking? really you can reboot with Mute+cd eject+dvd eject??????????
Well well well... Just this very day today, while on my way to work, iDrive screen went totally black !!! And has remained since then....... I've been trying to reboot once, twice, thrice (with the "magic combination" stated above: well at once, the system came back up (just there was no sound.....
Stopped and parked the car; came back; IDrive screen back to BLACK.... All iDrive functions are diabled... Gives me time to listen to the 4 cylinder engine.....
Should be by the dealer soon...
Keep you posted
Old 06-12-2007, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rutto' post='434265' date='Jun 10 2007, 11:55 PM
On my LCI several times the idrive "froze" trying to access to the usb storage drive.

The screen shows the AUX input, but on backround the FM radio plays, no way to change source or even the radio station.

It randomly recovers after disconnecting the key...
any updates? I have it happens 4 times but i dont have a blanc screen: the screen is there with the normal layout but date , hour and all extra info is empty and of course noting works.

I just reboot the system and prob is fixed every time after 1O second system works fine again. Not a big prob but anoying.
Not big enough of a prob to miss the car for 2 days for a reprogram but i am curious to the solution.