E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iDrive dead - is this CCC failure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport Touring

Car is an 07/2005 535d E61.

On Thursday iDrive cut out while listening to a CD in the CD changer. Yellow SOS not working message came up on the dash and the iDrive screen was blank. I stopped for dinner and when I got back in the car an hour or so later it was fine.

On the way to work Friday, no iDrive at all and it cut out again on the way home.

Yesterday I was using the navigation and the screen blanked out again a few times. Same SOS message on dash. I managed to get it to spring to life a few times by ejecting the navigation DVD and reinserting (I use a backup copy of the navigation software but have for years). When I got home I left the car on a trickle charger and took it off about 10.30 last night.

Looked out this morning to see both driver side windows down. Interior lights were on (but dimmed). Car was still alarmed.

Now iDrive is blank and the dash (maybe the nav disc) is making a loud whirring noise. I disconnected the battery for an hour, reconnected and tried the 3 fingered salute but nothing.

Battery is less than 9 months old.

Does this sound like CCC failure, am I at the mercy of the local stealer?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

The same thing happended to a member here (a buddy of mine). It's a bad CCC which will only be covered if you are still under factory warranty. If you have CPO, you are out of luck, we was quoted $2000 for the new one with install and reprogramming.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Members

Thanks, I don't have extended warranty. :thumbsdown:

I have AA Parts and labour cover that covers me up to £500 for a claim if I call the AA out for a breakdown. Does anyone in the UK think it is feasible for me to call the AA out for this? I suppose it is worth a shot, the cover isn't activated unless they attend a breakdown.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Check your trunk area under the spare wheel. If it's wet, then possibly the problem is a malfunctioning micro power module, which is located under the spare wheel.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fiona
Thanks, I don't have extended warranty. :thumbsdown:

I have AA Parts and labour cover that covers me up to £500 for a claim if I call the AA out for a breakdown. Does anyone in the UK think it is feasible for me to call the AA out for this? I suppose it is worth a shot, the cover isn't activated unless they attend a breakdown.
I'm sure the AA won't pay a penny as it's to do with your in car entertainment/electric's,the £500 would go toward's mechanical failure of engine part's etc.I could be wrong though as you've nothing to lose trying.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 AM
Members

All units under the spare wheel are dry and don't look damaged / smell.

Humph
Old 10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Steve J
All units under the spare wheel are dry and don't look damaged / smell.

Humph
Is the battery holding charge? It could be duff battery or the CCC but to tell properly get it to a reputable indy and get them to read any error codes...

Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

what is the CCC?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by tuffluck
what is the CCC?

CCC is the computer that controls all other computers, also it's the iDrive. It controls all the functions in the iDrive and produces the video you see on the screen. I tried a new battery in my car (OEM) didn't solve the issue, still waiting to se how much it will cost to put right.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Members

It's going in to our local indy on Friday. Will update the thread when I know more.

I will call the AA out, I have nothing to lose and it may, as a long shot, get me £500 towards the cost of repair.

Quick Reply: iDrive dead - is this CCC failure?