E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Should the iDrive be scrapped, maintained as an option or standardised with improvements?
Scapped
3.57%
Maintained, it's perfect
3.57%
Maintained but improved
51.79%
Maintained as an option
2.68%
Standardised on all new BMWs with better graphical and intuitive interface
38.39%
Don't care
0%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

iDrive concept Perfect or should be improved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H?kon' post='310386' date='Jul 13 2006, 09:11 PM
I love the iDrive.... tested a Range Rover Sport with the Jaguar superchaged engine ( great engine) and i really missed the iDrive ...

I simply cant grasp that some of you claim the iDrive is not intuitive.. to me it's vert logical indeed...

if you find the iDrive in the E60 hard to get try the pre facelift E65 7-series iDrive... its so hard i almost gave it up..

Thankfully, they did away with the eight way menu on the pre-facelift and standardised all idrive on the four way menu. i think with time, bmw will do something nice with the idrive. at least let's give it to them for the bold step...
Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Originally Posted by sese' post='309459' date='Jul 11 2006, 12:50 PM
Right Linux is much faster than windows. Do you have Linux? If so, what distribution? I use Debian.

I use both XP and SLED 10 but I fail to see how one is faster than the other. I do see the benefits of using open source.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mercy' post='312298' date='Jul 18 2006, 09:42 PM
I use both XP and SLED 10 but I fail to see how one is faster than the other. I do see the benefits of using open source.
On equally sized hardware:-

1 The kernel for *nix is much much smaller than Windoze so Windoze will usually run slower
2 Windoze relies on loading/unloading bits of the OS when running, whereas *nix loads all the OS
3 Windoze is bloatware and genrally loads tons of stuff you don't normally need

I run a Debian build server with MySQL, an email server, Apache and all the other bits you need for a decent commercial webserver. It is a dual 386 with 1Gb RAM. Windoze XP would only just boot on this

Having said that, ALL my desktopos and laptops are Windoze 'cause it's easier to use (even with a decent GUI *nix is still not as usable), far more common for interoperability with other users and much easier for non-tech-heads to install and maintain even than the best *nix distros.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Members

Ways to improve I Drive

Remove all climate control functionality (I have the higher level climate control which means I cannot manually adjust the flow of air between the various vents without going into the menu-CRAZY!)

Add a numerical keypad for telephone dialing (a la Mercedes)

Add a "back" button (as per Audi) meaning that you always go back to the last position you were at if you make a mistake.

INFACT-tell the BMW designers to spend a day in an Audi A8 and see how it should be done! This has 4 buttons for next to the control dial (nav, audio, car settings, telephone). so if you hit audio- you go straight there and then use the knob to do what you need to and you dont need to go back to the menu to get to the next change (ie I am in navigation and want to change a CD-SIMPLE- I just press Audio and I am there-I then press NAV and I am back to NAV) Its brilliantly intuative.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

it needs to be FASTER!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Kamal(UK)' post='312568' date='Jul 19 2006, 11:33 AM
[snip] tell the BMW designers to spend a day in an Audi A8 and see how it should be done! This has 4 buttons for next to the control dial (nav, audio, car settings, telephone). so if you hit audio- you go straight there and then use the knob to do what you need to and you dont need to go back to the menu to get to the next change (ie I am in navigation and want to change a CD-SIMPLE- I just press Audio and I am there-I then press NAV and I am back to NAV) Its brilliantly intuative.
Well - you can do something even better with the BMW. Just move the controller and hold it in the direction of the top-level menu you want to access (back: radio/cd/tv, front: phone, left: climate, right: nav). 2 seconds holding and you are there. The only menu that requires two moves is settings (menu button + press controller), and that could be adjusted (e.g. if the climate controls went back to the dashboard).

Voila - Audi-like functionality and 4 fewer buttons - though having said that I haven't tried the Audi system.

One thing is for sure: there is so much functionality built into the thing that it's not hard to see why people forget some of it and have to spend time figuring it out again and again.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

I am in CO for the week on vacation, and we drove the X5 4.6is up from Dallas and I can honestly say that only thing I dont like about the X5 is not having iDrive. It just makes working everything some much easier, IMHO! I just hope they incorporate it into the new X5!

As much as I love the X5 on long trip, I really miss the iDrive.....plus how about 18.5mpg at an average speed of 79.6! You gotta love it....

just my 2 cents.....