E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Should the iDrive be scrapped, maintained as an option or standardised with improvements?
Scapped
3.57%
Maintained, it's perfect
3.57%
Maintained but improved
51.79%
Maintained as an option
2.68%
Standardised on all new BMWs with better graphical and intuitive interface
38.39%
Don't care
0%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

iDrive concept Perfect or should be improved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='309711' date='Jul 12 2006, 10:04 AM
...It is a nice idea. But poorly thought out, very poorly executed and in reality of limited benefit to the consumer. We aren't able to change element that we are dissatisfied with ...
You couldn't have hammered on that bit better. I think BMW is continuing to review the iDrive, considering the version i have on my 2003 and the latest, i beleive they continue to think about how to improve it. First i think the idea of going Microsoft was strategic for BMW, i beleive they can leave the work to be done my MS without having to have to look at porting linux and making it stable for the car.
With such an advanced system and more so using Microsoft as a platform i was hoping they could have integrated a usb port and a flash drive so one can load some forms of applications that could basically add or provide for personalised programming or for loading audio without the use of the CD drives. One can also load their own MP3 player on the car, say Winamp for pocket pc variant so i can actually utilse software DSP for playback of MP3.

I think the opportunities with the iDrive are enormous. First i will congratulate BMW for the latest revisions to the iDrive. When you hit the end of a menu item the knob will simply resist further dial, clever i must say. This was not the scenario with the first release on the E60 so the improvement is welcome. I also think the user interface should be customisable, especially the skin and layout. There seems to be three screen sizes, I think this is a waste of the beutiful interior arrangement. BMW should kindly consider as standard the widest screen size and bring in functionality that can easily be upgraded as software options either off shelve or through BMW agents.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Members

A good idea, but definelty needs improvement. Personally, I'm comfortable with all of it's functions. However, when I first bought the car I had to sit down and watch a 10 minute DVD to figure out how to adjust the climate control. No one should have to watch a DVD to figure out how to use their car. This should be made more intuitive and it is why the press always slams Idrive when they drive it the first time.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

I'd like to know why 3 individuals voted it is perfect ???
Old 07-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Tommy' post='309857' date='Jul 12 2006, 07:22 PM
I'd like to know why 3 individuals voted it is perfect ???
Am sure they had their reasons, would have loved to know them though....
Old 07-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

I'm also for a Linux version. It's worked well for TiVo even with the mods people have done. Maybe CIP updates won't take as long. Plus I think bringing back a few buttons are okay. Most of us can deal with 101+ buttons every day. And touch screen would be a huge mistake. There is not tactile feedback and it's horrible 90's technology. I can navigate my BMW while driving without looking. This is something I can not do in my wifes Toyota with touch screen.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Members

I say scrapped. I do not need all of those functions really. Thought I see the logic, and would support it if it worked. I see too many stories on here about people who cannot listen to their radio, work the ac, etc because of continued software updates/failures. This was one of the deciding factors in buying a Porsche over a 650 or M5, and one of the major factors in buying the wife an E53 X5 vs waiting for the E70 to arrive. I just did not want the hassle of something that to me I do not even need. I need easy to use as and radio controls. I do not need a freaking computer control to run all kinds of crap that doesn't matter to me. I want to drive not curse a computer when I am in a car.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Members

I love the iDrive.... tested a Range Rover Sport with the Jaguar superchaged engine ( great engine) and i really missed the iDrive ...

I simply cant grasp that some of you claim the iDrive is not intuitive.. to me it's vert logical indeed...

if you find the iDrive in the E60 hard to get try the pre facelift E65 7-series iDrive... its so hard i almost gave it up..
Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by redhat_man' post='309781' date='Jul 12 2006, 04:38 PM
You couldn't have hammered on that bit better. I think BMW is continuing to review the iDrive, considering the version i have on my 2003 and the latest, i beleive they continue to think about how to improve it. First i think the idea of going Microsoft was strategic for BMW, i beleive they can leave the work to be done my MS without having to have to look at porting linux and making it stable for the car.
With such an advanced system and more so using Microsoft as a platform i was hoping they could have integrated a usb port and a flash drive so one can load some forms of applications that could basically add or provide for personalised programming or for loading audio without the use of the CD drives. One can also load their own MP3 player on the car, say Winamp for pocket pc variant so i can actually utilse software DSP for playback of MP3.

I think the opportunities with the iDrive are enormous. First i will congratulate BMW for the latest revisions to the iDrive. When you hit the end of a menu item the knob will simply resist further dial, clever i must say. This was not the scenario with the first release on the E60 so the improvement is welcome. I also think the user interface should be customisable, especially the skin and layout. There seems to be three screen sizes, I think this is a waste of the beutiful interior arrangement. BMW should kindly consider as standard the widest screen size and bring in functionality that can easily be upgraded as software options either off shelve or through BMW agents.
A good idea in principle, but think of the difficulties in cost of testing evrything you could allow a user to do against what the car requires for operation/safety. I personally wouldn't like to project manage that task :'(

Having said that with ProNav and MP3 it's so slow. Why? Simply sticking a faster processor and more RAM into the damned thing can't that difficult to achieve.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

I recently drove my friend's 2007 S-Type and I am still under a great impression of its system and I would really love to see something close to that in E60.

I mean:
- Touchscreen = with just about right sensibility + wonderful graphics + user firendly menus + logical order of things

- NAVI system = close to perfect (opposite to E60's which I find as the worst on the market at the moment)

- system (radio, navi, board computer) bootup time less than noticeable

And just my 3cts to stay on the safe side: other than elekectronics I think S-Type is :thumbsdown:
Old 07-14-2006, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='310679' date='Jul 14 2006, 09:19 AM
And just my 3cts to stay on the safe side: other than elekectronics I think S-Type is :thumbsdown:

Wow! A British car (okay it's a Ford but still) with good electronics?! Ahh... the wonders.

Quick Reply: iDrive concept Perfect or should be improved?