E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Idrive "accident"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D, M sport packet
Unhappy

Hello to everybody,

First of all, I would like to say that I follow the discussions of this forum from long time and I can say that I'm really impressed by the quality of the information that are shared here.
That's one of the reasons for which I would like to ask your advice.
So, few days ago, by accident, my wife just drop off a cup of Cola over the central console of our 2006 535D (on the place where the knob button of the iDrive is located).
At that oment, we quicly clean up the liquid from the console and hoped that no major damages have been done.
Unfortunately, this morning the "Menu" button of the iDrive felt like a something got melt under it. Also, the knob button does not react with the correct forceback anymore. I mention that all the functions are OK, except the scroll down for a new page in long lists (in case that I have my songs list, I can scroll down only till the end of the current page/window, but not further, so similar with the case where I'm on the bottom of the list, even if the down arrow on the left of the screen indicate that there are more pages down there). Scrolling up side is working on multiple pages.
I've been to the dealer and, even if the car is 1 year old, they said that this incident is not covered by the warranty.
They suggest that I can be lucky and probably a "clean up" of the mechanical parts of teh iDrive (the "Menu" button and the knob) could solve the problem.
Otherwise, a new iDrive system will be required. :-(
Bearing on mind all the above, I would like to ask your advice on the following:
1. Can I try to disassemble the know and the "Menu' button by myself ? If yes, any advices/pictures of how I can do it will be warmly welcomed.
2. In case that I will need a new iDrive system, is any chance to fit any second hand system or theiDrive system is specific for each E60 model (based on the chasis number, for example)?

Many thanks in advance for your kindadvices.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I would say that you could recover from this situation. If you are handy enough open the center console, disconnect all the electrical connections there and try and dry the area. Use a can of compressed air to get into the buttons, infact if you are really handy then I would even consider carefully opening the buttons themselves. Keep the components in front of a air heater for a while and that should do the trick.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='533187' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:10 PM
I would say that you could recover from this situation. If you are handy enough open the center console, disconnect all the electrical connections there and try and dry the area. Use a can of compressed air to get into the buttons, infact if you are really handy then I would even consider carefully opening the buttons themselves. Keep the components in front of a air heater for a while and that should do the trick.
Many thanks for giving me hopes, Bruce.
On the other hand, could someone help me or point me to where I can find some instructions/pictures of how I can open the center console ?
Many thanks again
Old 02-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

I thought, though I may be wrong, that all the expensive bits (ie the computer processors) are under the boot floor - so the worst place for a liquid spill is probably the boot rather than the console ?
Hopefully the i-drive controller is largely a mechanical dirt issue and fixable
Old 02-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='533235' date='Feb 19 2008, 04:47 PM
I thought, though I may be wrong, that all the expensive bits (ie the computer processors) are under the boot floor - so the worst place for a liquid spill is probably the boot rather than the console ?
Hopefully the i-drive controller is largely a mechanical dirt issue and fixable
The CCC electronics and processors are in the CCC in the center cluster. Not sure what is under the iDrive controller but I believe it is a self-contained unit.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

sounds like it just got sicky and it would not just work on 1 thing and not on other.
It eather works or dont if you spill liqud in it.
best bet is take it to your dealer and get them to check it out to see if itis the electronics.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

I can't help you with opening the center console
It appears that the electronics of the unit are still in working order. This suggests that also if the whole CCC is in the center console, it has not suffered major damage. I do not know whether you can order the knob and its mechanical parts as a separate item from BMW, but it seems to me that there are only a very limited number of variations (probably only with and without force feedback for a given model year), so it's quite conceivable to get one from a scrap car. It's not something that is likely to sustain damage in a crash, so you should be able to get it from just about any scrap E60/E61. This would of course only be necessary if you cannot clean the knob and/or the force feedback is damaged beyond repair.

Just my 0.02
Old 02-20-2008, 04:45 AM
Members

Sounds to me like the buttons are sticky as cola is when dry so I would do as others have said and take the switches out and clean and dry it all out properly.

I changed the centre console recently on my manual and its not hard. Life the gear gator by just pulling upwards it will click out where you should find 2 screws underneath, undo these. then take the ashtray out and remove the I drive cover by just pulling upwards it may be tight.. Do not remore the gearnob or gaitor as you should not need to. Here you need to be carefull, take a flat screwdriver and work your way round the console to lift it up, there are about 6 metal clips holding it down, then it should life up and back to remove it, you should be then able to push the gear gaitor through the hole by twisting it and the lot should come out, remember to unclip the menu switch and cigarattre lighter switch, if its an auto there may be other switches but you should not need to remove these. It is a bit fiddly but should take no more than 30 minutes.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Members

Many thanks to all of you for your kind advices !
I will try to open the console myself.
If I will not be able to manage it, I will take the "beast" to the dealer and let them doing the work (hope that are not to much damages and need to change the entire iDrive).