E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I went in for a software update, came out with a 10 page report of iss

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers mate. Appreciated.

Wow @ price if it was to actually fit the Nav unit and programme. As I called a company down here in London (I'm based in Southampton) and told them my car has it already fitted and they quoted me ?600 for just programming etc.

So hopefully, the price will be less cause mines is alraeady fitted.

Anyone know similar garage down south. If I have to make the trip up north then I have to, but I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives down south.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

I am in the same boat I have done this retro fit and have lost my aux input in the idrive and when I get the seatbelt warning its strange characters in the idrive display but I wanted to get the software update so I could have the 3d view.
anyway I took it to an independent in Exeter who told me he can do it with their Autologic system but will have to use a fibre optic connection into the CCC and upgrade it he quoted me ?300 but I have not got round to doing it.
But if you ask for a guy called Bob and explain to him he will be able to do it for you.

they are called Paddock Motors.

telephone number 01404 851 021

let me know how you get on if you decide to use them.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

The problem with ISTA is it will insist on updating all modules in the car and will refuse to continue if it finds a fault,
Progman allowed coding of individual modules but BMW no longer uses it.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Members

Thanks Livefor2day. Closer, but still quite a drive. Can anyone suggest a garage any closer to Southampton?

Your right blood, I kind of told the engineer that and he said Progman wouldn't have allowed it either.

At this stage I don't care for V35 software. I'd be happy with the last Progman v32 software update.

Blood, if I get the dynamic lights with LCM module, msport steering wheel, rear lights and maybe an aux input, do you think with the update and reprogramming all of them would be easy to do? Or will I just be openeing more cans of worms?

Will this also mean the Vehicle Order is changed at the same time and if I go into the Stealers again, they would see no error and be able to update as per normal?

I always thought the Vehicle order was kept in a database at BMW HQ in Germany. So never understood how people can change/update this without connecting to them.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

the vehicle order is kept at germany as far as i know, we need cobradev to chime in on this as he knows alot about the competer systems BMW uses
Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Members

OK, like I promised, I will share the reports with you guys.

This, I am doing for the benifit of the community as well as myself, as together we can desipher what these reports mean and have the knowledge for when your own vehicle goes in and gets diagnosed.

The exclamation mark (!) next to the item means it is present and there has been some issue in the past, but not necessarily now. For example, if you remove and replace something, then the car registers that the plug has been disconnected so something must have happened eg. retrofit. It doesn't necessarily mean theres something wrong with it. Just may want to take a look. Thats why they say it's best to disconnect the battery before doing anything so the car doesn't log/pickup whats happened.

The (X) next to an item means it is present but either theres something wrong with it, or it isn't recognised, ie. the CCC system and the Seats I was talking about before.

Heres the very first iniital report carried out before the software update. Note the first page is "Quick Summary Test", thereafter a more detailed test:
1st_Diagnosis_Report.pdf

Now the interesting one, the Software Update attempt, which it was left to do overnight. I've skipped through it, but I don't think anything passed. LOL:
Software_Update_Repo.pdf

Then another quick diagnostic test in the morning again. Note, there are fewer issues. Wonder why? Leads me to believe if all these are reset it would clear:
2nd_Diagnosis_Report.pdf

Finally, the main issues stopping me upgrading my software. Note two seating modules highlighted but no mark next to them. Means they weren't even recognised or picked up by the system.
Main_Issues_Report.pdf

Am I right in thinking I can just reset all the (!) to get rid of them, they seem to be nothing but queries by the system?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Members

Any comments or advise?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Wow, you bit off a chunk there!! You have not had any new software since CIP 19 (or 19.1) in September 05. It appears from the diagnostics that this was the delivered version. There are at times certain combinations of hardware options that fool a particular software version into thinking there are problems, but I cannot tell if this is one of those occasions. Another thing is that most dealers follow BMWAG guidelines and do not retain older software versions. A few keep at least one back just in case there are issues with new releases but that is generally as far back as they go. Independent service centers are far more likely to retain older versions.

I recommend an independent service center as your best course of action. I realize this may be an inconvenience logistics wise but may save you money and time in the long run.

Option 2 is you might be a candidate for your very own software upgrade system. That can get pretty expensive between the laptop, proper software and the proper interconnecting cables. Some information was posted on the board here: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...amp;hl=software

I once stumbled across some hacker site (predominately European members) that had lots of folks working on doing their own thing to be able to do software on new BMWs (MOST bus equipped) but lost the URL and have never tried to find them again. But those folks were deep into the bowels of the code and all. You might try serching for something like that.

I am not certain on the order info just where that is stored. I hadthought in a dealer only accessable database based on vin, but could also be coded in the key/fob. I'll look into that further.

Sorry I cannot be of more help but I have not needed to get into thois very extensively for my own purposes, only research endevors.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Members

Thanks Cobradev. I've managed to find a independent garage who can recode the car and equipment at a very reasonable price. So will be doing that.

Just wanted to know, he said he can add Extended Voice Commands. Which I always thought had to be downloaded from BMW.

Could this be true, or is it just a file that attaches to the original Voice Recognition to expand the set of commands?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Abbizle' post='1059168' date='Nov 20 2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks Cobradev. I've managed to find a independent garage who can recode the car and equipment at a very reasonable price. So will be doing that.

Just wanted to know, he said he can add Extended Voice Commands. Which I always thought had to be downloaded from BMW.

Could this be true, or is it just a file that attaches to the original Voice Recognition to expand the set of commands?
He probably did just that, downloaded from BMW. But they may have also been supplied in a retrofit CD/DVD to dealers as well. In either case, independents probably subscribe to BMWTIS and get authorized downloads so they can support their BMW customers. If they do not, but get them "under the table" so to speak, that is not your problem.

I will continue to follow your progress as this is a pretty ambitious effort. Wish you well.

Quick Reply: I went in for a software update, came out with a 10 page report of iss