E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I think my dealer sold me a crashed car

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knox' post='317886' date='Aug 1 2006, 06:48 PM
your from south africa huhhh. wow, i have some friends down their and they are trying to move soon. they tell me south africa is gonna fall apart soon. cant believe u guys have afirmative action still, amazing. and i hear the phone companies are bruttle...

oh fyi- south africans are the friendliest group of people i've EVER met. second to the alcoholic aussi/kiwis

I am befuddled by this bloke's statement. What is amazing that SA has affirmative action? Ever heard of a little thing called apartied that ruled that country for eons? By the way SA is indeed a beautiful country.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Members

Laws regarding car sales vary from state to state and there is no federal law stating previous accident damage must be disclosed. The only time you need worry about a previous accident is if the accident caused frame or unibody damage and of course if the accident resulted in a "R" Title or salvage title. Fender benders happen and provided the work was performed well (good paint maitch and good prep. and finish) there is no reason for a dealer to scare off buyers by announcing the car has been in an accident. If previous accidents that didn't cause enough damage so as to cause fram or unibody damage had to be discoled, this would greatly affect the price of any car with prior paint work. Imagine if you got into a fender bender, and say had the bumper and fender replaced and door repainted. Then come trade in time you're car was worth $4000 less because this fender bender would have to be disclosed to the next buyer, so it'd better be cheap in order for them to purchase. Accidents happen and minor previous repairs aren't a big deal. Now if the frame was damaged or the unibody damaged (i.e. rear quarter panel of car had to be replaced) then yes, in many states though not all, that does have to be disclosed and the car WILL sell for less. Do be weary of frame or unibody damage cars, don't worry about previous fender benders.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

I still think that if the car has been in a small smash ie scraped the wall and no body damage is done then its fine but if there has been damage where they have to replace parts then the dealer must not sell the car
Old 08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

if you bought from a BMW dealer, then complain them first, if no response write to its regional head quarter and then CC it to BMW Germany. I am sure they will do something.....
Old 08-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

but do i have a strong case against them ?????
Old 08-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Members

I'd say you have no case against them. Think about it, you could back into a pole hard enough to cause a huge crease in a door meaning it could need replaced rather than repaired. Same goes for a fender bender, they could have turned into someone at 10mph bending the fender so it needs a new one. So that happened and now the car shouldn't be sold? You bought a used car, it's unreasonalbe to expect/assume that only used cars that have never been in an accident be sold. You buy a used car, you take your chances. For all you or the dealer know the previous owner could have track raced the car, but you'll never know. The previous owner could have driven all highways miles, parked far away from others in parking lots and babied the car, you'll never know. I always buy used and the money I save far outweighs my other fears as to how the car was treated before me or if it was ever in a non severe accident.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

When purchasing a used car, make sure to get any information about the car given by the dealer, into a written contract. That way you'll be better fit to return the car if conditions in the contract have been broken. If the dealer says the car hasn't been in any accident (who aren't likely to tell just to get the sale over with?) - then get it in writing so that you may have an ability to reverse the contract.

But of course, an experienced salesperson would easily dodge any attempts of that kind unless you're acting in a steadfast manner.