E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

i probably have the worst luck EVER. seriously, EVER.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Quick thinking. Several years ago I had the good fortune of being right near an underpass when some hail started up. I snuck right under it and waited it out!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 AM
e6t
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='944786' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:27 AM
Curious, would insurance cover something like that?
yes, insurance covers it. i can't imagine that would be too kind if they had to total two new bmws that were the same policy holder though...

the experience was weird... it went from saving the car to making it out without bodily harm. the wind was blowing so hard and it was coming from all directions. the over pass was only as wide as one lane, so i couldnt get completely away from it.

ill clean both cars this weekend and report back.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

riveting story...seriously, the possibility of damaging the bimmer, so much fear. felt like i was ready a Stephen King novel.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I'd say you've got the BEST possible luck if you managed to drive through that with no damage, wow. I have seen cars totaled because of hail (grew up in Denver plenty of BIG hail storms there), and you are lucky as hell. Congrats on the new ride (remember - PICS or it didn't happen!!!!) an for staying damage free in that mess.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Great story!

I have a short, similar one.

About 1 month back we had some serious hail storm advisories in the area in NW suburbs of Illinois. I was at work and my baby in the parking lot so, of course, I decided to to park my car in our warehouse loading dock. The rest of the office proceeded to laugh and make fun of me saying they'd go outside and build a special canopy for my BMW in the future so I wouldn't have to move it into the warehouse when foul weather arrived.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Contributors

great story m
Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e6t' post='944879' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:21 AM
yes, insurance covers it. i can't imagine that would be too kind if they had to total two new bmws that were the same policy holder though...

the experience was weird... it went from saving the car to making it out without bodily harm. the wind was blowing so hard and it was coming from all directions. the over pass was only as wide as one lane, so i couldnt get completely away from it.

ill clean both cars this weekend and report back.

I was going to say don't think you went unscathed until you wash and look carefully at the cars. I opened my door this winter into my outdoor furnature I had stored in the garage. I was sure I had a door ding but I couldn't see any mark after I looked for 10 minutes. Sure enough after washing the car, there it was plain as day and it was real noticable on the clean car. I had to get that fixed.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Veight' post='945246' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:52 PM
I was going to say don't think you went unscathed until you wash and look carefully at the cars. I opened my door this winter into my outdoor furnature I had stored in the garage. I was sure I had a door ding but I couldn't see any mark after I looked for 10 minutes. Sure enough after washing the car, there it was plain as day and it was real noticable on the clean car. I had to get that fixed.

Not for nothing, but most of us were trying to cheer him up. I really hope the damage isn't that bad. 2 new BMW's in the shop, the insurance company will freak out.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='945246' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:52 PM

yeah... i know.. im going to wash them, one at a time.

i'll have my fingers crossed.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

You are lucky! In March, my hometown of Austin TX had a 10 minute hail storm with golf ball to tennis ball sized hail. The BMW dealership had 300 cars damaged...see below.

Chuck Jett, general sales manager at BMW of Austin on McNeil Drive near Research Boulevard, said "pretty much everything on the lot" ? including more than 300 cars ? was damaged by tennis ball-size hail.

"We will discount them commensurate with the amount of damage," Jett said. "Some will be totaled, some will have major damage and some, minor damage. At this point, we'll be willing to sell them any way we can: as-is, fixed, partially fixed, whatever the customer would want to do."

The storm also damaged buildings, awnings and glass at the dealership, Jett said.

Quick Reply: i probably have the worst luck EVER. seriously, EVER.