E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

i probably have the worst luck EVER. seriously, EVER.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:11 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo... Went to pick up the new x5 today... I washed my car last night for the short drive to the dealer. all went flawlessly and we were in and out of the dealer with our 1 month old e60 and brand new e70. we are headed home on the highway and i'm looking up the road and thinking that the weather doesnt look great. i turn on the wb and hear that there is a t-storm watch and that there is some pea-sized hail possible. so, i call my wife (in the e70) and tell her to stick to my tail because im going to drop the hammer. she stays with me.

about 5 minutes later, i can feel the cross wind pick up and the sky is getting more black. there is no turn around and nowhere to exit. drizzle starts. im pissed because both cars are spotless, but at this point, im just trying to get to the garage at my house. then it starts to ran. im talking forest gump ran like hell had opened up. its raining so hard that people are starting to slam on their brakes in front of us. we slow to a crawl. i spot an underpass and decide that we should stop. there is a black 335 stopped in the right lane of the highway and a range rover sport parked in the emergency lane beside him. i pull beside the 3, turn on the blinkers and stop. my wife pulls to my left and does the same.

i thought we would be in a tornado because the wind was literally blowing so hard it was moving the rain off the highway. then, the hail started. dime-sized. then nickel-sized. then quarter sized. then fricking golf-ball sized. traffic is stopped in both directions. the wind is blowing 60-70 mph and gd golf-ball sized hail is hammering the front bumper of my car. we wait about 5 minutes and Armageddon lets up... so we make a break for it. about a minute away from the overpass the hail starts up again and im thinking, well, you all know what im thinking. now my mission is to get home without breaking any windows out of either car. i can't describe the sound of the hail hitting the car. it sounded as if the sunroof was going to break as well as the windows. if any of you have been in sizable hail, you know what im saying. i've had other cars totaled by hail and i was just sick.

i raced ahead of my wife to pull another car out of my garage so she could pull in when she got home. i pulled in the garage, moved the other car and then she pulled in. i let the cars dry in the garage for an hour or so and then go outside, depressed, to survey the damage. initial inspection indicates NO DAMAGE. the cars are both pretty dirty now, so i can't see perfectly, but im pretty sure that there is nothing major.

as i was pulling away from my wife on the highway, i told her to look at the bright side... if the 5 was totaled, our trip to Germany to take ED of my M5 would get pushed WAY up.

are these cars made of steel? if they are, it is the toughest steel i have ever seen on a car. unbelievable cars we have here people... unbelievable.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by e6t' post='944448' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:11 PM
as i was pulling away from my wife on the highway, i told her to look at the bright side... if the 5 was totaled, our trip to Germany to take ED of my M5 would get pushed WAY up.
Would it be wrong if I said I hope your current 5 was totaled?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='944449' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:14 PM
Would it be wrong if I said I hope your current 5 was totaled?

awesome. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

i needed a laugh!

thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by e6t' post='944452' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:16 PM
awesome. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

i needed a laugh!

thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'd say you're very lucky -- the E60's hood is made of aluminum which is much softer and more prone to denting than steel!

Not sure how the hell you pulled that one off but good job!!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Contributors

As i was reading this story i didnt think it was going to end like that. Congrats on the nice rides and no damage!!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Wow, I've never experienced hail before. But reading your story, I can't imagine what I would've done. That was incredible. Glad you two made home ok.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Glad to hear nothing bad happened. We don't usually get much big hail in the New York City area.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

whew. thank god! Someone dinged my trunk or either a bigass meteor. Gotta get that fixed soon. But I had a tennis ball fly right onto my roof without any damaged
Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Curious, would insurance cover something like that?

Quick Reply: i probably have the worst luck EVER. seriously, EVER.