E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[FONT=Times]

Anyone out there can give me some helpful hints as far as choosing between the 530i and the 545i when I return to Germany. Right now I'm deployed to Tikrit, Iraq. I just found this sight while trying to send my dealer an e-mail asking for some help on my decision. Surprisingly, he recommended the 530i, due to the fact that I won't need/ be able to use all the power of the 545i when I return to the states. I bought my wife the 325Ci Coupe before I deployed, and she loves it. But I still ( in my heart) want the 545i. Why? I don't know, but I ask for some help from you guys who already own each one of these great cars and have knowledge on the matter. Thanks in advance on your replies.
JACKATTACK!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:36 AM
Contributors

I was going to get the 545 as well. But I settled on the 530 because gas gets no cheaper and it does use more. Woppong V8. I can live without the extra horses.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:36 AM
Contributors

545i - Power is your friend!

Speed is the problem in the States not power and speed will be a problem no matter which model you pick!

And... Welcome to the E60 Information Network. Enjoy
Old 08-10-2004, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for your service!

You guys are in our thoughts everyday... stay safe and give 'em hell!

although... the E60 seems to occupy alot of my thoughts these days as well....
Old 08-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The 530 is an excellent car, but as you know, there is a significant price difference betwee the 530 and the 545. But if you want a comparably equiped 530, meaning the Premium package for leather seats and the adaptive Xenon's, etc., the cost difference is much smaller. Frankly, I drove both the 530 and 545 before buying and was totally seduced by the additional power! Ultra is right about the speed issue, for either the 530 or 545, but THE POWER!! I think my wife put it best: "Go for the big engine, I don't you regreting your decision a year down the line"! God I love her!
Old 08-10-2004, 05:23 AM
Members

I looked at the city/hwy gas miles posted in the various magazines, and there is only a 2 or 3 mile difference between the two engines. I know it's all on how you drive the car. I just want a car that I can enjoy as my retirement gift from my wife. Any other suggestions on what to look forward to if purchasing the 530 vs 545 or vice versa.
JACKATTACK!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

I am a power hog too, but I ended up deciding on some expensive options in place of the larger engine. I really like the NAV and HUD combo. It's a blast and the NAV comes packages with voice controls (in/out) which itself is one of the best things in the car. Sports package, premium, cold (if needed geographically) and xenons are top stuff too. (some are bundled with 545- check on them).

But power is addictive too.......

(maybe just get all of it)
Old 08-10-2004, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Welcome..
The 530i will soon be introduced with the valvetronic engines...a tech marvrel
with 260 hp...if it were available now I would have probably gone for it...but then
I thought ...F**K IT - you only live once !!! result : 545i
Old 08-10-2004, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

you say the dealer "recommended" a 530i, have you driven both cars to compare, thats the only way your going to know which is right for you.

from a personal point of view, when I was buying I wanted to buy ex-demo, not new, and therefore let someone else pay the 1st year depreciation for a change.

ended up doing a deal on a 530i. drove a 545i, very impressive engine, but my budget didnt stretch to the 545i (cue violins and tears) as the 530i was the spec i wanted at a good price, that swung it in the end.

one question...you not tempted to hold out for a drive in the 535d ? that twin-turbo engine sounds like an interesting prospect

don't think I've helped you much but hey its all part of the fun...whatever you buy, you'll be buying a great car !! enjoy the test drives.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

My salesrep told me he would rather have a 535D then a 545i if he could choose a car.