E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with everyone who says drive the cars, then decide for yourself.

Having said that, if you can afford it, you will never regret getting the 545 (unless you have a major problem with the 16 mpg in the city). The power is seductive, and it's not just about speed, it's about being able to point the car to a spot, tap the gas, and you're there in an instant!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Contributors

I battled over this question too. The one thing to concider is that the residual value will be incresed accordingly. It's like being able to drive a car with all power for free , MHO. besides all that power of the 545 is SO seductive.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JROC' date='Aug 10 2004, 07:23 AM
I looked at the city/hwy gas miles posted in the various magazines, and there is only a 2 or 3 mile difference between the two engines. I know it's all on how you drive the car.? I just want a car that I can enjoy as my retirement gift from my wife. Any other suggestions on what to look forward to if purchasing the 530 vs 545 or vice versa.
JACKATTACK!!!
I would not put too much weight on city milage for the 545. In-city only driving gets me about 9 or 10 mpg(and I drive like and old lady). You're always acceleting to the next traffic light so there is not crusing or coasting and the V8 is very thirsty under even the slightest acceleration in this circumstance. But, it's nice to know that I can kick some a## is needed.

More of my opinion on 545 vs 530... Third one from top.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=23213
Old 08-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

I was torn in the engine dept also.. but I've decided with the 4.5 despite the rising gas prices in Cali.. Yesterday I gassed up Premium at $2.40 / gallon....

But.. as I was debating between the 5er and the ///M3... i gotta go with the v8.......

Whether you will / can use that extra power.. well, that kinda depends on where you're at... I drive on freeways almost everyday, you have to here or else you'll never get anywheres fun or interesting.... i think that extra "oomph" would be well suited for my needs.... BUT if all you drive is city...... the 3.0 may be a better choice.. saving on gas or what not..... i'd think it'd be more of a decision based upon #1 your wallet and #2 where you're going to driving the car rather than anybody's recommendation.... i mean we can all tell you our though processes, but when it comes down to it.. it's going to depend on your individual decision....

maybe if you give us your cases for either side..and we vote ?

happy decision making!........
Old 08-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Contributors

JROC:
Welcome, thanks and good luck. I think it might make a difference depending on the transmission and your typical driving. I get good mileage on the freeway driving at 80ish for extended periods. According to my onboard computer I get around 25 miles a gallon. I have the 6-speed manual. When I am in the city or traffic, I find the extra power makes 1st and 2nd gear all I really need. I can drive at 45 mph in second easliy. Good luck, I don't think you will be disappointed either way.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

You can keep all the gadgets nav, hud, acc, pdc......give me a stripped down 545.

Chrome won't get you home, but the V8 will............

Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way. The 545 is a leader!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Members

I'm still very happy with my 530, I actually look forward to driving it even on my daily commute. I'm seeing just shy of 30MPG highway cruising at ~80 (6-speed manual). Around town I'm getting low 20's. As I intend to keep the car a long time, the total cost of ownership of the I6 vs. the V8 was a key deciding factor. Sure the extra power would be nice, but I find the car is plenty quick enough in the 30-60MPH range as long as I have it reved over 3K. The handling is exquisite and to me that's the real pleasure.

Stay safe.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:27 PM
SBGuy

You won't go wrong with either choice. I have had a 545i for about a year now. I love the power!!! If you can afford it, get the 545i. By the way, the gas mileage is terrific with the 545i. The V8 is probably the most efficient engine ever made from the power to mileage standpoint. I routinely get 25mpg with a mix of freeway and in-town driving having driven now about 10,000miles. Another point, if you fully load up a 530, the delta in price between a 530 and 545 is a few thousand dollars. I did that trade and it was one of the factors that led me to buy the 545i.

On the downside, the ride with the runflats is quite harsh. If I had to do it again, I would have purchased the 545i with the conventional tires. Unfortunately, at the time I ordered the car, I wanted the active steering and the active suspension and that was bundled with the runflat tires. I had no choice.

All in all, a happy camper with the 545i
Old 08-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by SBGuy' date='Aug 10 2004, 10:27 PM
The V8 is probably the most efficient engine ever made from the power to mileage standpoint. I routinely get 25mpg with a mix of freeway and in-town driving having driven now about 10,000miles.
Yep it is!
I've had a non-BMW other German car before with a V6 engine, 3.0L, 211HP.
The V8 is waaaaay more efficient and uses less gas then the V6... Believe it or not...
I am truly impressed!!!
Also a happy camper without regrets yet...
Old 08-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

So you got a 545 without options you would have had on a 530. Or did you get everything you wanted??