E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I love SMG...but the perfect gearbox would be...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Sep 15 2005, 12:51 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Sep 14 2005, 05:40 PM'][quote name='rodybmw' date='Sep 13 2005, 02:04 AM']Hmmm.......I was curious to hear from the veteran members of the SMG gang. Do you guys? ever miss the traditional clutch and shifting action of a manual?? Would you go for a transmission like the one I described above if it were available?.....or do you think it's a waist of money and there is no reason for BMW to give us an SMG with the additional feature of a manual mode with a clutch pedal?

Rudy.........JDN........realtyman..........EBMCS03 .......Kigerka ??????
[snapback]169903[/snapback]
OK, you can read my repy after a few hundred more posts. ~(:^)
[snapback]170695[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry for not responding sooner......your idea would certainly improve the Steptronic transmisson and could be done very easily with software upgrades should BMW choose to do it.
[snapback]170962[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks much. I was just joking around on the reply thing. And, yes, BMW could easily fix the things that matter to me on the Step. I have trouble seeing what would be lost. I can't see any advantages to the current Step idiosyncrasies. Does anyone have any reasons to prefer that the Step work as it does rather than consistently with my thoughts?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Sep 15 2005, 12:28 PM
Now I have u and Rudy to worry about?

I better change the oil every 3k miles (make the car last) cause the SMG clan is gaining strengths in numbers and soon no more manuals will be offered.
[snapback]171017[/snapback]

If the E60 M5 is any indication you may be right. BMW's plan was/is to offer the M5 only with the SMG III. Now they are going to add a manual transmission for the US market only, but that does not change the fact that BMW initially intended it to be available only with the SMG, and still does for non-US markets. When the regular SMG (or ZSG) is improved enough to shift faster and smoother as well as be more reliable they may not offer manuals anymore.....but don't worry, I don't think BMW is going to make their decisoins by what me or Rudy or the rest of the SMG clan say. I honestly hope that they keep offering the manual transmission because it does set them appart from the rest. Besides, if I could afford to get an additional BMW one day as a part time driver that I would not be using in my daily commute, then I may get it in manual.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Sep 15 2005, 11:57 AM
NO CHANGES TO THE CURRENT 6SP MANUAL OR EVEN THE STEP ......ONLY THE SMG.
[snapback]171001[/snapback]
Sorry, rody, but I will have to correct you there too.

NO change to the SMG either. SMG stays as it is and works as it does now, but include the option to shift into the traditional H-gate pattern with the use of a clutch pedal.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Sep 15 2005, 03:52 PM
[quote name='rodybmw' date='Sep 15 2005, 11:57 AM']NO CHANGES TO THE CURRENT 6SP MANUAL OR EVEN THE STEP ......ONLY THE SMG.

NO change to the SMG either. SMG stays as it is and works as it does now, but include the option to shift into the traditional H-gate pattern with the use of a clutch pedal.
[snapback]171102[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah....the current SMG would not lose anything, but just have something added to it......so it is still a change. I don't know if the second line you wrote is your words or if it was taken from one of my posts above, but if I did say "NO change in the SMG either" then I meant that none of it's functionality would be reduced or taken away, but everything I proposed would be added on top of the currnet SMG setup.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Sep 15 2005, 04:24 PM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Sep 15 2005, 03:52 PM'][quote name='rodybmw' date='Sep 15 2005, 11:57 AM']NO CHANGES TO THE CURRENT 6SP MANUAL OR EVEN THE STEP ......ONLY THE SMG.

[snapback]171102[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah....the current SMG would not lose anything, but just have something added to it......so it is still a change. I don't know if the second line you wrote is your words or if it was taken from one of my posts above, but if I did say "NO change in the SMG either" then I meant that none of it's functionality would be reduced or taken away, but everything I proposed would be added on top of the currnet SMG setup.
[snapback]171117[/snapback]
[/quote]
Right.
I understand exactly the scenario you're describing here and like I said, I would go for something like this if it was cost-effective and if the "true manual" aspect of it "felt" like a traditional manual shifter. I love that feeling of being connected with the car regardless of whether or not I can shift faster/slower than a computer.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Sep 15 2005, 04:30 PM
Right.
I understand exactly the scenario you're describing here and like I said, I would go for something like this if it was cost-effective and if the "true manual" aspect of it "felt" like a traditional manual shifter.? I love that feeling of being connected with the car regardless of whether or not I can shift faster/slower than a computer.
[snapback]171120[/snapback]

I agree . Shifting in and out of the Reverse gear in the current SMG feels like a really precise, very short throw manual shifter. Also, the current spring to center action of the SMG shift knob is good too (like the spring to neutral center when going to the right or left on a manual). So if they expand that to an 8 position manual shift gate I think it would "feel" nice and tight with short throws. The clutch feel would take some experimentation while in development, but I think it can be achieved too.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Sep 15 2005, 03:28 PM
...what would be the purpose of an old featureless manual tranny.
I ask myself that every time I see one of those old, featureless, manual trannys...

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Sep 15 2005, 05:13 PM
.....but don't worry, I don't think BMW is going to make their decisoins by what me or Rudy or the rest of the SMG clan say.
[snapback]171061[/snapback]
I forgot to tell you my last name is Quandt...
Old 09-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 15 2005, 09:22 PM
[quote name='Mercy' date='Sep 15 2005, 03:28 PM']...what would be the purpose of an old featureless manual tranny.
I ask myself that every time I see one of those old, featureless, manual trannys...

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Sep 15 2005, 05:13 PM
.....but don't worry, I don't think BMW is going to make their decisoins by what me or Rudy or the rest of the SMG clan say.
[snapback]171061[/snapback]
I forgot to tell you my last name is Quandt...
[snapback]171162[/snapback]
[/quote]

:'( I'm doomed! :'(
Old 11-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Rody this is for you

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62162
Old 11-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='169903' date='Sep 12 2005, 11:04 PM
Hmmm.......I was curious to hear from the veteran members of the SMG gang. Do you guys ever miss the traditional clutch and shifting action of a manual? Would you go for a transmission like the one I described above if it were available?.....or do you think it's a waist of money and there is no reason for BMW to give us an SMG with the additional feature of a manual mode with a clutch pedal?

Rudy.........JDN........realtyman..........EBMCS03 .......Kigerka ??????

SMG is the greatest invention - the e60 is super smooth, I just added the dinan lightweight flywheel - acceleration is blistering, you can hear the flywheel spinning like crazy!! and the shifts are super smooth - someone had posted that the m3 is smoother - there's no way.

Quick Reply: I love SMG...but the perfect gearbox would be...