E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I love SMG...but the perfect gearbox would be...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

While we're on the topic of SMG, did BMW state how fast the shifts are with the SMG offering in the e60 and e63?

Now, I realize that the SMG in these cars operate using similar principles as SMG II but I doubt they shift as fast as SMG II (0.8 seconds according to BMW).
Old 09-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Sep 14 2005, 08:58 PM
Now, I realize that the SMG in these cars operate using similar principles as SMG II but I doubt they shift as fast as SMG II (0.8 seconds according to BMW).
[snapback]170756[/snapback]

in sports mode and during acceleration assist I think it does... normally it doesnt... I'm insterested to know what the normal non sport mode shift time is... it does seem slow.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

In my case (Lots of bumper to bumper traffic driving), the perfect transmission/car would be 6 spd manual for sporty driving and a magical switch that would turn off the engine all together and run off a lightweight electic motor with a v-drive automatic transmission strapped in the trunk behind the rear wheels(leaving enough room for golf clubs of course!) for daily commuting. This should also qualify as a tax hybrid and allow me to drive solo in the car pool lanes!

What do you think of this you BMW execs checking out this forum..strickly fantasy or what???
Old 09-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Heloha' date='Sep 14 2005, 10:46 PM
In my case (Lots of bumper to bumper traffic driving), the perfect transmission/car would be 6 spd manual for sporty driving and a magical switch that would turn off the engine all together and run off a lightweight electic motor with a v-drive automatic transmission strapped in the trunk behind the rear wheels(leaving enough room for golf clubs of course!) for daily commuting.? This should also qualify as a tax hybrid and allow me to drive solo in the car pool lanes!

What do you think of this you BMW execs checking out this forum..strickly fantasy or what???
[snapback]170797[/snapback]
Like an old German sub. Diesel engine as the main workhorse and electric motor for cruising.

Edited to add:
Except without the periscope and (of course) room for a golfbag.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 14 2005, 05:40 PM
[quote name='rodybmw' date='Sep 13 2005, 02:04 AM']Hmmm.......I was curious to hear from the veteran members of the SMG gang. Do you guys? ever miss the traditional clutch and shifting action of a manual?? Would you go for a transmission like the one I described above if it were available?.....or do you think it's a waist of money and there is no reason for BMW to give us an SMG with the additional feature of a manual mode with a clutch pedal?

Rudy.........JDN........realtyman..........EBMCS03 .......Kigerka ??????
[snapback]169903[/snapback]
OK, you can read my repy after a few hundred more posts. ~(:^)
[snapback]170695[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry for not responding sooner......your idea would certainly improve the Steptronic transmisson and could be done very easily with software upgrades should BMW choose to do it.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg' date='Sep 14 2005, 04:51 PM
Why not just get a traditional manual?? To me, putting the clutch pedal back in kind of defeats teh purpose.
[snapback]170681[/snapback]
For all those who have said that if I want a manual whey not just get a traditional manual I will try to explain myself better:

I have been driving manual transmission cars all my "driving life" (25 years) and LOVE manuals MOST OF THE TIME. However, in the last few years my left foot would get tired more and more when I would get stuck in bumper to bumper Los Angeles traffic. I could drive all day from morning to night and not get tired in a NON-TRAFFIC situation. However, one or two hours of CONSTANTclutch use every couple of seconds in a traffic situation was what I could not handle anymore. Hence, when I was ready to buy my E60 I looked at my choices and the natural choice for someone wanting a sporty transmission without having to use a clutch pedal was the SMG. As I said before I think I made the right choice, although the upshifts could be a bit faster (and the downshifts should be A LOT faster).

Many of us use a lot of "things" in our daily lives that we like (or even love) but we always think "if they only add this feature....or if they could do it this way rather than that way it would be really neat". To try to think of ways to improve things is built into us as humans and that's all that I am saying with this manual SMG idea. We often try to mix two things that we like into one package.....somtimes it is practical and sometimes it is not practical, or even possible. I know my idea is certainly possible and SOMEWHAT practical, since it adds a couple of input devices and some change in the software to an EXISTING system without messing with the transmission or clutch hardware.

Oh....and putting the clutch pedal in does not "defeat the purpose" as far as I am concerned. This system would "keep the purpose" of being able to use the SMG as it was intended and designed for, as well as add additonal capabilities.

I love BOTH the manual and SMG transmission and that is why I would love to have both options in the same car. When not in traffic I would use the "traditional manual" setup with the clutch pedal, and when in stop and go traffic I would use the SMG (in manual mode still).
Old 09-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Please don't give BMW any ideas.

Keep the offerings separate. I like my 6sp manual the way it is (all manual) and don't want any SMG or auto features included, thank u very much.

I don't miss anything about SMG or automatics and would never switch to it no matter how fast or great they might get in the future.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by yvesj' date='Sep 14 2005, 05:20 PM
-? I agree w/ Rodybmw that SMG shifting (on E60) is not on par with spirited driving of a true sport sedan like BMW's.
I once expressed that E60 SMG is a dog when it comes to upshifting and that I can switch 3 times as fast with a manual (at which point most SMG owners came down on me in order to defend their choices)
-? I also agree with speedracerF4i that I miss the H grid, and the sense of always knowing what gear I'm in

But consider this:
E60 SMG was arguably the first to sell SMG in a large distribution model, and that particular technology is already obsolete.
Remember that Z4 SMG that predates it was even worse.
E60 M5 SMG is supposed to be superb, and others like Audi (Porsche?) have SMG technology much more advanced that our non-M5 E60's.
What engineers have to work on now is to give us the biofeedback of gear currently engaged.
My SMG transmission could be better, but hey, I chose it to explore the technology, and to keep my aging left calf content even in heavy traffic.
On those account, I'm perfectly happy with my choice.
[snapback]170691[/snapback]
I agree with you about the shifting speed. I ALWAYS drive in sport mode but even within sport mode the shifting times don't seem to be a constant speed. Sometimes the upshifts are fast enough, sometimes they get slower (I could live with it though). What really disappoints me as far as shift speed is the downshifts when you want to accelerate (to pass a car for example). These downshifts are way too slow for me.

Having said that I still like the SMG and my "wish" to have a clutch and normal shift gate added to the SMG is not really because I want to shift a lot faster than the SMG, but just because I enjoy the action of using a clutch pedal and shifting the gears in the gate positions, even in slow non-spirited driving (and of coarse in non-traffic situations). So even if I had the quick shifting M5 SMG III which would probably shift faster than I ever could, I would still like to have the addition of the clutch pedal and shift gate for the "feel".
Old 09-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Sep 15 2005, 11:31 AM
Please don't give BMW any ideas.

Keep the offerings separate. I like my 6sp manual the way it is (all manual) and don't want any SMG or auto features included, thank u very much.

I don't miss anything about SMG or automatics and would never switch to it no matter how fast or great they might get in the future.
[snapback]170986[/snapback]

Boy...I think I am really bad at expressing myself because people keep thinking that I said things that I did not say. :'( So here's a clarification:

I DID NOT SAY THAT BMW SHOULD MODIFY THE 6 SP MANUAL TO INCLUDE SMG OR AUTOMATIC FEATURES.

I WAS ONLY PROPOSING A CHANGE IN THE SMG TRANSMISSION TO INCLUDE A CLUTCH PEDAL AND SHIFT GATE.

NO CHANGES TO THE CURRENT 6SP MANUAL OR EVEN THE STEP ......ONLY THE SMG.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Partner,

I know what u said.

If BMW was to built a tranny that offered both SMG and Manual in 1 what would be the purpose of an old featureless manual tranny.

Now I have u and Rudy to worry about

I better change the oil every 3k miles (make the car last) cause the SMG clan is gaining strengths in numbers and soon no more manuals will be offered.

Quick Reply: I love SMG...but the perfect gearbox would be...