E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I lease ....and I dont follow the break in guidelines ...am I wrong fo

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='195965
Originally Posted by amigo525' post='195935' date='Nov 9 2005, 06:48 PM
I lease and i treat my car as if I own it.! same respect as if the car was mine!

I do follow the breakin rules..and yes..i park as fast as possible to avoid any ding/dang
You must be a great driver. I park really slowly/carefully to avoid ding-dangs and curb-bangs. ~0{;^)
I meant as far as possible
[/quote]I thought you meant that you tried to get in and get out as fast as possible. LOL
Old 11-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I'm totally with you on this one. I lease and I don't really follow any strict break-in. Hell, your car has been redlined about 10 times by the time you actually get it, anyways. (by the guy driving it off the line, by the guy parking it at the factory, by the guy loading it on the truck, by the guy unloading it, by the guy putting it on the boat, by the guy driving it off the boat, by the salesman at the dealer.)
Old 11-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Members

That stinks!

While you're at it...put regular gasoline and skip oil changes!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='196058' date='Nov 9 2005, 08:35 PM
I'm totally with you on this one. I lease and I don't really follow any strict break-in. Hell, your car has been redlined about 10 times by the time you actually get it, anyways. (by the guy driving it off the line, by the guy parking it at the factory, by the guy loading it on the truck, by the guy unloading it, by the guy putting it on the boat, by the guy driving it off the boat, by the salesman at the dealer.)

Actually they really dont... once in a while you might get a bad apple that will but 95 to 99% of the drivers dont... I was at the VDC and asked that and they honestly said they dont. Theres no point. BMW AG does have representatives there to check and watch what they do. Does one want to lose their job because of that? They drive these cars day in and day out whats the point in bashing them all? Try watching the trucks unload a new batch of cars at the dealer... they drive it very modestly. Unless you have a super duper rare car.. like the M5 or M6 or possibly new release of the 550 then ya they'll I bet they'll beat on it to see the new performance but that can only last for so much...

Now for the original poster and rodneyremington... oh man... no wonder I dont want to buy used cars... Cheaper ya but then I'll pay for it in the end...
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

I am leasing and I don't worry about the car as much as if I truly owned it - that being said - I may buy at the end of the lease. If I knew I was going to buy - I probably would have changed the oil at 3 or 4,000 miles on my own $.

Anyone who thinks not breaking in a car is going to cause it to be in the shop more during the first 2 years - as the original leaser's post - is really silly. The untoward effects of not breaking a modern BMW in are probably minimal. Maybe the engine will last 180,000 miles instead of 200,000 miles. I did what I think is reasonable and it did not involve not going over 4,500 RPM the first 1200 miles. It did involve not doing full throttle for a few hundred miles and varying the RPM for the 1st 1000. I hit redline (accidently) about 3 or 4 times in the break in period.

This forum represents car enthusiasts. Look at the breakdown of 545 (vs 6-cyl) owners here - probably 50% as opposed to 10-15% for all US sales. The vast majority of 5 series are not properly broken in. But they are probably driven less hard also. I am sure that many cars are on the highway going 65-70 mph constant speed for a considerable amount of time during the break-in . Reality is - most purchasers (lease or not) do not intend to be the one worried about getting to 200,000 miles on the original engine. BMW knows this. BMW designs engines so that it doesn't matter all that much.

I don't think that the engine on a modern 5 series is what is going to break down and be the last straw for an owner. What will be interesting is what to do with all these great engines once the electronics are impractical to keep up with.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='195749' date='Nov 9 2005, 06:16 PM
I treat lease cars no differently to how I treat the cars I own. I want it to stay in good shape for me, and anyone else how may own it in future. That said, I'm not at all convinced that 1200 miles break in - totally as per the the recommendations in the manual - is necessary.
I could not agree with you more
Old 11-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='196058' date='Nov 10 2005, 04:35 AM
A friend of mine transports new Mercs from the port to the dealer. He couldn't care less about what car is on there, and neither do his coworkers.

One thing that struck me as strange tho, they mostly leave the drivers window open on the truck, even when it's raining. The reason according to him is that doors have a tendency to lock themselves with the keys in the car. Seems to have something to do with the car shaking in transit. Obviously this results in a wet interiour.
He says in the beginning he felt guilty about this, but after a few times standing in the pouring rain trying to get a car off, he just does what all the drivers do..
This is in Ireland btw.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't know about other coutries but in the US, all new BMW's are transported in enclosed transporters. Its the little things that make a difference...
Old 11-10-2005, 05:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I lease and I treat my car as if I own it. Clean it weekly, detail 4- 6 times a year for the wax protection, had the curb kisses on my OEM wheels repaired (even though the type of damage would not have resulted in lease end charge), etc., etc.. Like most on this forum, I am a bit of a car nut.

That being said, I did not follow any break in procedure. I did not follow any break in procedure on our second car - a Honda - which we purchased about the same time I leased my 545 and which we intend to keep for 6 - 8 years. With today's technology and the extremely high quality / tight tolerances of today's engines, I just do not believe that followingthe break-in procedure will result in any noticebale difference over the life of the engine.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by Dantheman' post='196076' date='Nov 9 2005, 09:30 PM
That stinks!

While you're at it...put regular gasoline and skip oil changes!

Why should I drive my car any differently because of what is going to happen to it years after I sell it? As a leaser I am paying for the privilege of a walk-away car ownership experience. As a used car buyer you are paying less for my car than I did. Fair trade.

Quick Reply: I lease ....and I dont follow the break in guidelines ...am I wrong fo