E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hit a curb!!! Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I hit a curb!!! Please help!!!

So the other night I was coming home in my 545i at 4 a.m. and I was extremely tired. I ended up falling asleep at the wheel, while I was entering my neighborhood. I woke up because I hit curb hard, I quickly regained control of the car and got home. Around 12 p.m. I decided to inspect what had happened and I saw the glass from the passenger's side view mirror was hanging by wires. I put the glass back and it clicked back into place and was still fully functional. I kept looking around and noticed scratches on the passenger's side rims, and a bulge on the tire of the front passenger's. I didn't think too much of it and got in my car and drove. As I was driving I noticed that the steering wheel was crooked while the wheels were straight, but no active steering malfunction light... Can someone experienced let me know how bad the damage is? The approximate cost? Please help guys I'm a college student and money doesn't grow on trees for me!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear. the tire with the bulge will need to be replaced and an alignment is needed for sure. when replacing the tire, the wheel should be checked for any further damage.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

That must have been a big ass curb to take out your mirror too! +1 above, alignment and tire replacement for sure, maybe a rim repair if bent, and there also could be damage to you tie rods if your streering wheel is off like you describe.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

You need to have all control arms & tie rods that mount to the hub assembly plus the strut (shock absorber) mount, closely inspected before an alignment is done.

Take it to a local BMW focused shop to have them inspect it and preferably one that also performs wheel alignment and balancing. Also check your local BMW dealership for specials that maybe running on alignments.

A hard curb hit can indeed tear the rubber control arm bushings thereby requiring replacement. It can acutally distort the arms themselves if the hit is hard enough. But I suspect that your tie rods linkage could be bent

You have to have it inspected before the alignment.

And it can get pricey depending upon the amount of damage. Control arms run roughly $125 - $175 ea for Lemforder and tie rods with linkage run about $120 for Lemforder brand which is OEM to BMW. Alignment runs around $125 to $250 and labor to install one arm about $80 - $100.

If you have an Indy shop do the repair ask what brand of control arms and tie rod they will be installing.

I recommend Lemforder brand (made in germany) over Meyle (probably china), Febi/Bilstein (China or Germany). I wouldn't venture into no-name Chinese stuff, so stick with one of these three brands
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

What's your insurance deductible for a collision claim? You might want to think about contacting your insurer, something like this can get pricey very quickly.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

i don't know how to respond....
Sounds like a giant curb the likes of which I've never witnessed. Coming home at 4am falling asleep as you entered your neighborhood? Sorry doesn't smell right. If alcohol or drugs were involved you got what you deserve and I'm not sorry for your "accident." I think of it being one of my family members and not a curb and I can visualize the pain I would inflict on you for irresponsibility. I don't think you're a very responsible person for getting into a vehicle that you've seen has a bubble in the sidewall.

What do you want us to do for you? It sounds like you want an opinion that is going to make you feel better. And it sounds like what will make you feel better is that someone will tell you a cheap way to fix it because you're a student and have no money yet you're driving a BMW.
Get used to the fact that you're driving a bimmer and everything on these cars is marked up high and it gets complicated. No one here can tell you anything without seeing the car besides replace that tire and check your suspension components.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:53 PM
New Members

Well thank you for the input guys, I'm taking it in to the dealership tomorrow to see what they say.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
i don't know how to respond....
Sounds like a giant curb the likes of which I've never witnessed. Coming home at 4am falling asleep as you entered your neighborhood? Sorry doesn't smell right. If alcohol or drugs were involved you got what you deserve and I'm not sorry for your "accident." I think of it being one of my family members and not a curb and I can visualize the pain I would inflict on you for irresponsibility. I don't think you're a very responsible person for getting into a vehicle that you've seen has a bubble in the sidewall.

What do you want us to do for you? It sounds like you want an opinion that is going to make you feel better. And it sounds like what will make you feel better is that someone will tell you a cheap way to fix it because you're a student and have no money yet you're driving a BMW.
Get used to the fact that you're driving a bimmer and everything on these cars is marked up high and it gets complicated. No one here can tell you anything without seeing the car besides replace that tire and check your suspension components.

I'm surprised you've never heard of people falling asleep at the wheel, anyways no I was not using drugs or alcohol. I was coming back from spring break in Chicago and after 16hrs non stop I was tried. Yes I was a little reckless to have not stopped for anything except gas, but I honestly take offense for you to accuse me of using drugs and alcohol, and if I was asking for prices it was just to get money together no need to be an a hole.

Last edited by Matteo Montenegro; 04-02-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

Originally Posted by Matteo Montenegro
I'm surprised you've never heard of people falling asleep at the wheel, anyways no I was not using drugs or alcohol. I was coming back from spring break in Chicago and after 16hrs non stop I was tried. Yes I was a little reckless to have not stopped for anything except gas, but I honestly take offense for you to accuse me of using drugs and alcohol, and if I was asking for prices it was just to get money together no need to be an a hole.
Don't take it personally. The guy is a dick. He contributes almost nothing to the community, and might just be a high-functioning aspie.

Glad you're ok -- its just a car and is completely fixable.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 550i M Sport, 6 Speed Manual

Hahaha that guy was extremely helpful But if you haven't already done it, get the front end checked out. Could be that you just need to get the alignment fixed but it could also be worse. Regardless, definitely get it checked out, if it's just an alignment and you ignore it you will wipe out your front tires, well the other good tire

Hope this little situation doesn't kill your wallet!

Quick Reply: I hit a curb!!! Please help!!!